Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:40 PM

1,342 posts, read 3,246,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Hornet I'm going to give it to you even though my source just says "Jeff":

History of Greenbrier County

Unlikely he would have been named for Davis since the horse was 4 years old at the start of the war. Interestingly he was from a non-seceding county of VA, now part of WV.

Actually, Greenbrier County did vote to secede from the US on May 23, 1861. About half the counties of WV did so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 06:19 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,173,875 times
There was a ship in the Confederate Navy named the CSS United States.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
This talk of cross sided names reminded me of an episode found in General Sherman's memoirs. After Grant's forces captured Jackson, Mississippi during the Vicksburg campaign, Grant left Sherman's corps to destroy the railroad and everything of any military value. Sherman relates:
Quote:
Just as I was leaving Jackson, a very fat man came to see me, to inquire if his hotel, a large, frame building near the depot, were doomed to be burned. I told him we had no intention to burn it, or any other house, except the machine-shops, and such buildings as could easily be converted to hostile uses. He professed to be a law-abiding Union man, and I remember to have said that this fact was manifest from the sign of his hotel, which was the "Confederate Hotel;" the sign "United States" being faintly painted out, and "Confederate" painted over it!
So...was this "Union" man's hotel spared? Sherman continued:
Quote:
I remembered that hotel, as it was the supper-station for the New Orleans trains when I used to travel the road before the war. I had not the least purpose, however, of burning it, but, just as we were leaving the town, it burst out in flames and was burned to the ground. I never found out exactly who set it on fire, but was told that in one of our batteries were some officers and men who had been made prisoners at Shiloh, with Prentiss's division, and had been carried past Jackson in a railroad-train; they had been permitted by the guard to go to this very hotel for supper, and had nothing to pay but greenbacks, which were refused, with insult, by this same law-abiding landlord. These men, it was said, had quietly and stealthily applied the fire underneath the hotel just as we were leaving the town.
Memoirs General William T. Sherman George S. Patton Historical Society Library

Old 03-11-2011, 07:04 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,257,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Actually, Greenbrier County did vote to secede from the US on May 23, 1861. About half the counties of WV did so.
Yes, I believe Jeff the horse would have received more votes than Lincoln had he been on the presidential ballot there.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:35 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Okay all you Civil War and Virginia history buffs. What was the original name of General Lee's famous horse?
I thought the General Lee was a Dodge Charger. In that case I am voting for Hemi as the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History