Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 03:18 PM

956 posts, read 1,114,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's the way it goes, people get around.

You don't think the whole of Canada should be set aside as a game preserve for a relatively few Indians, do you?
Nowhere in my post did I allude to that. I just stated another one of the consequences of British Imperialism...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanboy View Post
Nowhere in my post did I allude to that. I just stated another one of the consequences of British Imperialism...

OK. That you didn't allude eluded me.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
I'm Indian, and I have given the subject a lot of thought and British colonialism wasn't all bad and as far as overlords go, the British were preferable over the French, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, etc. With the British came modern technology and education, liberalism, capitalism, and Western science. Without these things, India wouldn't be devoloping the way it is; and unlike Japan, India didn't have a strong central authority at this point in history to modernize on its own. Furthermore, the British basically left the nature of Indian culture intact( whether it was just due to pragmatism, I'm not entirely sure). The Spanish, Portuguese, and French had a history of excessive cultural imperialism in their colonies.

Ultimatley, seeking independence was the right thing to do though, Indians would have always been 2nd class citizens in the British Empire. Ironically, it was many of the ideas that the British brought that led to the undoing of their Empire.

Old 06-21-2011, 03:34 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,084 times
There was colonialism practiced by the Brits who in general viewed random massacres and displays of brutality as inefficient and unprofitable. Then there was COLONIALISM practiced by the likes of Leopold II of Belgium, the guy was a freaking monstrous psychopath comparable to the likes of Pol Pot and Stalin. Needless to say, results were mixed depending on who was behind the policies.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
There is colonialism and colonialism. Britain, France, Spain, Belgium, Portugal, the Netherlands, and even the USA briefly were part of the colonialism wave.

Perhaps, the most brutal and repressive among the colonizing nations was Belgium. They basically made the Congo (known at the time as the Belgian Congo) as a mining colony that was totally based on slave labor of the indigenous population. The capitol of the colony--Leopoldville--was really nothing other than a mining town. The white houses of the mining magnates and colonizers stood on top of a hill surrounded by block after block of shanties and shacks in which the natives lived. Belgian soldiers and police would hack off the limbs of natives who refused to do their bidding. Its thought that some rebel armies in West Africa today engage in this horrific practice because of what the Belgians taught the people in the Congo.

Well the German occupation of what is known as Nambia from the late 19th century tilll the very early part of the 20th century was very brutal and they did commit genocide against the native population there.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:33 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I'm Indian, and I have given the subject a lot of thought and British colonialism wasn't all bad and as far as overlords go, the British were preferable over the French, Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, etc. With the British came modern technology and education, liberalism, capitalism, and Western science. Without these things, India wouldn't be devoloping the way it is; and unlike Japan, India didn't have a strong central authority at this point in history to modernize on its own. Furthermore, the British basically left the nature of Indian culture intact( whether it was just due to pragmatism, I'm not entirely sure). The Spanish, Portuguese, and French had a history of excessive cultural imperialism in their colonies.

Ultimatley, seeking independence was the right thing to do though, Indians would have always been 2nd class citizens in the British Empire. Ironically, it was many of the ideas that the British brought that led to the undoing of their Empire.
Yes, Tyler, we call that the Stockholm syndrome

Make no mistake, the British were just petty thieves. While the Islamic invaders settled down in the country and added to an already diverse culture, the redcoats were shipping things back to Missus Brown, so people in England could eat bread. They didn't call India the Jewel in the crown just for adulation. It was a constant and consistent and even alarmingly increasing drain of wealth and resources - food, raw materials and in some cases even man power for their stupid wars. And they perpetrated a kind of holocaust which came close to the Jewish holocaust, in terms of numbers, though not brutality. Amartya Sen documents how British policies during the great Indian famines led to millions of death, when available food was simply shipped out of the country and extortion of taxes was rife from the local farmers.

That's why these days I have an evil grin whenever I read about sad things in British society. Some thought pundit was once lamenting about how only one in six British kids in Britain's schools, is actually of original British origin, with the Indians, Pakistanis and Chinese literally overruning their demographics. That's colonization for you, grasshoppers, hope those samosas and gulab jamuns taste good

But the British influence had far reaching effects, true. I speak English, and am catholic, though my ancestors were Hindu

Old 06-22-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post

Anyway, before you blindly express your love for the British, do some reading. I don't like wiki, but it's a good starting point.

Millions of our ancestors died.

Bengal famine of 1943 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-22-2011, 09:36 AM

1,160 posts, read 1,972,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
.That's why these days I have an evil grin whenever I read about sad things in British society. Some thought pundit was once lamenting about how only one in six British kids in Britain's schools, is actually of original British origin, with the Indians, Pakistanis and Chinese literally overruning their demographics. That's colonization for you, grasshoppers, hope those samosas and gulab jamuns taste good
Only 1 out of six ??? That seems ridiculously, insanely low. Are you sure of that number?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:59 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
Only 1 out of six ??? That seems ridiculously, insanely low. Are you sure of that number?
It's complete rubbish like the rest of his racist bile. There may be the odd school in certain suburbs of a big city that has a high incidence of students from other countries but to equate that to the whole country is ridiculous.

And I love samosas as do most British people.

Old 06-22-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondrood View Post
I read it on the BBC and it was quoted by several other newspapers, notably the hindu.

It's no secret that there is a growing Indian/Pakistani population in Britain. And add the rest of the influx from the rest of the world, the middle east in particular.

Recently the BBC conducted their sort of pet poll to pick the greatest Briton. And to their chagrin, the Indians and Pakistanis warped the poll and Churchill finished second to Issac Newton

Proceeds to show the state of things in Britain today, where pandering to the Islamic and other minority votebank is becoming the norm. The same place where the likes of Disraeli and Pitt once walked. If Kipling had lived, there will be a new Jungle Book, set in the East End LMAO History has a funny way of coming one full circle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History