Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2012, 03:14 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,153,873 times

Advertisements

An interesting article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18120890

"The names of Himmler, Goering, Goeth and Hoess still have the power to evoke the horrors of Nazi Germany, but what is it like to live with the legacy of those surnames, and is it ever possible to move on from the terrible crimes committed by your ancestors?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2012, 08:15 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
I find it amazing that the grandchildren, great nieces and nephews would harbor such guilt for the actions of there distant relatives, relatives who they never even knew. Perhaps it is a function of my own history of distancing myself from relatives or maybe it is how we as Americans generally don't pay much attention to family heritage as some Europeans do. And, I would never associate any individual so distantly removed with the guilt of their fore parents unless for some reason they attempted to justify their actions. Even then, the issue wouldn't be one of familiar relations but rather their personal acceptance of denial.

Having oneself sterilized, seems like a name change would work just as well.

It sounds trite, but thanks for the post (I can't bring myself to write "sharing")

Old 05-23-2012, 10:08 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,697,549 times
I've posted before about my friend whose grandfather was in the SS, it isn't easy for them to talk about or deal with even though they are relatively certain he was in the Waffen-SS and not working in a camp or part of a "murder squad". Still, even just knowing that he was a Nazi and that he must've known what was going on is enough to make it difficult to deal with. In that light, it obviously cannot be easy if you are related to what are arguably some of the most infamous criminals of the 20th Century.

Still though, I don't understand why they simply wouldn't have taken the path of changing their names. Perhaps they see that as trying to avoid the past instead of confronting it in some sort of redemption, but one would think it would have made their lives a lot easier. Like it or not there is a lot in a name, you don't find too many people named Adolf these days and the name Benedict is quite rare here in the US.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:28 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
I would guess getting sterilized had something to do with ending the bloodline. Yes, they could have just changed their name if they were only interested in protecting themselves from being ostracized, but I think they really felt some kind of self-loathing because of him.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I would guess getting sterilized had something to do with ending the bloodline. Yes, they could have just changed their name if they were only interested in protecting themselves from being ostracized, but I think they really felt some kind of self-loathing because of him.
Many years ago on early pbs, there was a discussion with the grown children of the top nazi leaders. They were virtually small children, knowing only dad and mom when it ended and they learned more as they grew up. Several of the women had become nuns to atone. Many had dedicated themselves to charity as a jesture towards payback. I'm sure there were others not there who had chosen blocking it out as the best.

I think the object was to end the bloodline. Perhaps it was the most final toche to the idea of passing on purity and stature in this thousand year reich which was imagined, in the act of passing on nothing at all.

Many of those in this discussion had chosen not to have children as well.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Many of those in this discussion had chosen not to have children as well.
Ironically, their decision is as genetically idiotic as the theories advanced by their parents, grandparents and other relatives. It is one thing to decide not to have children, fine. But to "end the bloodline," that is as specious a rationale as the idea that a race can be purified by the extermination of those who could genetically contaminate it. If it could bring an end to Holocaust deniers, anti-semites, and lovers of all things fascist, I would be the first to say, "go for it!" But it doesn't.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:15 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ironically, their decision is as genetically idiotic as the theories advanced by their parents, grandparents and other relatives. It is one thing to decide not to have children, fine. But to "end the bloodline," that is as specious a rationale as the idea that a race can be purified by the extermination of those who could genetically contaminate it. If it could bring an end to Holocaust deniers, anti-semites, and lovers of all things fascist, I would be the first to say, "go for it!" But it doesn't.
I wonder if its as much to spare children the shame and humiliation of their family history? These are not the horsethief in the family, or the finanderer who nobody wants to be related to, these are men who committed murder on a grand scale and elevated hate into a mythology. It's not like they will be forgotten. Once someone finds out who they are, it will sit like the elephant in the room.

No, it won't make that sort go away, but I think the point if personal, that they themselves do not want the bloodline to go on, but they do want the reason to be remembered.

Old 05-23-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
No, it won't make that sort go away, but I think the point if personal, that they themselves do not want the bloodline to go on, but they do want the reason to be remembered.
Yeah I get it, but I don't get it as I've explained in both of my comments. I guess my problem is that I'm essentially a kid loving mope.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:00 AM

355 posts, read 1,190,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I read that a relative of Hitler became a Jewish Rabbih. I find such guilt idiotic, uncatholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History