Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

A Historian, having assembled facts about a historical event, can predict results of the events, or can tie one event to another in a causal relationship. Just as a chemist can for events under his purview. Both fall in the category of "analysis" within their sphere of knowledge. That's fine. But that is very different from making moral judgements about the performers in the historical event. Or selectively disregarding some facts in order to make a prediction or causal explanation that matches his hoped-for result. Neither a chemist nor a historian would be faithful to his discipline if he were to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Then you need to know about Bosnian-Serb conflict. Bosnia is where the majority follows Islam, not Serbia (a country you picked to try and make a point). BTW, Turkey is also Eastern Europe.
Thanks for your advise, but if you've noticed, I was talking about Yougoslavia, where Bosnyaks were a relatively small ethnic group ( they still are) comparably to the majority of population - Serbs and Croats.

PS. By the way "Turkey is a Eurasian country located 97% in Asia" and they are Asiatic people in their origin.

Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No Eastern Europe - sorry.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:51 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Thanks for your advise, but if you've noticed, I was talking about Yougoslavia, where Bosnyaks were a relatively small ethnic group ( they still are) comparably to the majority of population - Serbs and Croats.

PS. By the way "Turkey is a Eurasian country located 97% in Asia" and they are Asiatic people in their origin.

Turkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No Eastern Europe - sorry.
So your talk was based on "convenience". Would you mind explaining "Asiatic" people and what makes them different from others? Does religion play a part in it?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:06 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
A Historian, having assembled facts about a historical event, can predict results of the events.
I'm guessing that you didn't really mean to use the word 'predict' here.

It's not possible to predict the past. And I don't know of any historian who has made claims of predictinos.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:58 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
So your talk was based on "convenience". Would you mind explaining "Asiatic" people and what makes them different from others? Does religion play a part in it?
"Asiatic" are people who originated from Asia.
What makes them different "from others"?
What "others?" Africans, Europeans?
Even Europeans differ greatly from each other; Russians ain't Germans and Germans are not Brits.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I'm guessing that you didn't really mean to use the word 'predict' here.

It's not possible to predict the past. And I don't know of any historian who has made claims of predictinos.
Doesn't matter if I did or not. Do you have an argument about my general position, or do you only want to quibble about the words I used to describe my position?

I used "predict" to mean interpreting known data from one time period to be a possible or probable cause of subsequent events. Such as, a person who studied WWI and it's aftermath thoroughly, could have drawn conclusions about the likelihood of later events, such as WWII. Predict.

predict
— vb
to state or make a declaration about in advance, esp on a reasoned basis;

If you have a word that works better to describe the phenomenon, submit it for consideration, and it if works better than "predict", I will happily amend my argument to fit your specifications.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:39 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
"Asiatic" are people who originated from Asia.
How do you identify these people? Also, what part does "religion" play in such identity, or none at all? BTW, you do know where the Caucus Mountains are, right? Yep... in "Eurasia". How's that for "Asiatic"?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
BTW, Turkey is also Eastern Europe.

Until corporate expansion in the 1960s, facilitated by the building of a bridge, the very Turkish city of Istanbul was fully and entirely on the European continent. Anyone saying they are Europeans in Istanbul and Asians in the other 95% of Turkey is splitting some very irrelevant hairs.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:28 PM

8,418 posts, read 7,414,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Doesn't matter if I did or not. Do you have an argument about my general position, or do you only want to quibble about the words I used to describe my position?
My, my, my!

Look at who's yelling at me for splitting hairs!

Quote:
I used "predict" to mean interpreting known data from one time period to be a possible or probable cause of subsequent events. Such as, a person who studied WWI and it's aftermath thoroughly, could have drawn conclusions about the likelihood of later events, such as WWII. Predict.

predict
— vb
to state or make a declaration about in advance, esp on a reasoned basis;

If you have a word that works better to describe the phenomenon, submit it for consideration, and it if works better than "predict", I will happily amend my argument to fit your specifications.
It is useful to examine history for past opportunities and pitfalls in order to embrace the former and avoid the latter if one should encounter them in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Satayana
Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to repeat it
But neither history nor historians can predict the future. Some ascribe to the notion that history repeats itself. I do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper's New Monthly Magazine, vol. 30, 1865
The most solemn humbug which does duty as a profound historical reflection is, that history repeats itself. History does no such thing.

Old 08-04-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
But neither history nor historians can predict the future. Some ascribe to the notion that history repeats itself. I do not.
Jesus H. Christ.

Where did I say history repeats itself? Where did I even say historians can predict the future?

You may continue to argue with things I did not say. My participation will not be required. Good bye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History