Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:59 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,036,724 times

Advertisements

I believe a lot of it had to do more with the concept of ritual cleanliness. The Hebrews were fairly obsessive about ritual cleanliness, and as an earlier poster noted; a hog's omnivorous diet also allows for a certain amount of scavenging, in hot climates they will find the nearest water, mud, or mud-like substance to keep themselves cool. Note the prohibition of carrion birds as well.

As far as the notion of cloven hooves and the devil, that's entirely a European invention based on a faun without any Biblical basis whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 04:04 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well.....now that you mention it, Trichinosis is the first thing that springs to my mind.
Exactly. All superstitions aside, Trichinosis can (and does) easily make the transition from its porcine hosts to humans. All that is required is the incomplete/improper cooking of an infected porker and -- Voila! -- Human Trichinosis. It can be passed from raw pork to other animals too, such as bear, coyote, etc.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:15 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,512,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Rats are the trichinosis vector.
A minor course correction, if I may. Rats are ONE of the trichinosis vectors. Since pigs are omnivores, should they ingest ANY infected muscle tissue (pigs, bears, coyotes, humans, rats, mice, etc.), they will quickly "import" the disease into their own musculature.

As you so aptly pointed out, the key is strict control of what domestic pigs eat.

Still, largely due to habit or firmly ingrained teaching, I simply won't eat pork that hasn't been fully and thoroughly cooked. And pork, btw, is a core food for me and my ancestors.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:54 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighteyes View Post
As you so aptly pointed out, the key is strict control of what domestic pigs eat.
Indeed.

Snatch - Brick Top: Feed them to pigs - YouTube

Old 10-28-2011, 09:49 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,634,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well.....now that you mention it, Trichinosis is the first thing that springs to my mind.
that was my first thought. As a child, I always heard about being careful of undercooked pork....it would give you worms. The slightest pink was cause for alarm. (I am a southerner) My DH, who is from PA, said that one of his grandmothers was so afraid of not getting pork done that she would cook it so hard, it rattled and bounced when it hit the plate......LOL

Old 10-28-2011, 09:56 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I always thought it had something to do with cloven hooves and their relationship to the devil
Cloven hoof - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The real devil doesn't really have cloven hoofs. That's just the way he is perceived among people who already think that the cloven hoof is a mark of evil. Fear of the cloven hoof preceded the depiction of the devil in that guise.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:37 AM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The real devil...
oh my.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:23 AM

1,300 posts, read 961,376 times
It is because pigs are vile wicked animals and God hates them.
Never mind the fact that He created them,

This is the same guy after all who created Satan

Old 10-29-2011, 10:34 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,003,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
It is because pigs are vile wicked animals and God hates them.
Never mind the fact that He created them,

This is the same guy after all who created Satan
God created Satan to give himself plausible deniability for all the evil He created.

Among God's more serious mistakes was to create a world in which all values are relative, but a world with only Good and no Evil would have no referent by which to define Good within that relativistic dichotomy.

I wonder what the world would be like if God had given a little forethought to what he was going to create. Maybe 6 days was unrealistically ambitious. In any case, after the world is gone, I bet He'll never try anything like that again.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-29-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 10-29-2011, 05:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,365,762 times
The Food & Drug Administration recently revised down the recommended minimum "safe-cooking" temperature of pork from 165F to 145F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History