Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 09:41 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,864,534 times

Advertisements

Sounds like something Saul Alinsky might have written.
GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2012, 08:18 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Trying again...
This is where I gathered my information concerning the letter;

DEATH OF THE WILLIE LYNCH SPEECH

After reading this site/page. I came the conclusion that the letter was a hoax and also that the letter is used as an excuse by SOME African Americans for their position in life... Bad behavior was a poor choice of words. my apologies.
I’m not arguing with you about the authenticity of the letter. The posts have opened my eyes to some flaws of the writings. What I’m saying is your opinion that some African Americans use this letter as an excuse for their position in life! This assessment is very subjective and imprecise… What percent do you assign to the “SOME”? What bad behavior were you referring to? Etc… I’m black and my position in life is great. I’m where I thought I’ll be and I’m well above the average for my age…

Old 06-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Sounds like something Saul Alinsky might have written.
GL2
Don't know who that is???

Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I’m not arguing with you about the authenticity of the letter. The posts have opened my eyes to some flaws of the writings. What I’m saying is your opinion that some African Americans use this letter as an excuse for their position in life! This assessment is very subjective and imprecise… What percent do you assign to the “SOME”? What bad behavior were you referring to? Etc… I’m black and my position in life is great. I’m where I thought I’ll be and I’m well above the average for my age…
The first two paragraphs from the site/page I mentioned above helped me arrive at the conclusion that the letter was used as an excuse for some in the black community.... I was just basically summarizing what the author of the site was stating.. nothing more, nothing less...

Since 1995 there has been much attention given to a speech claimed to be delivered by a “William Lynch” in 1712. This speech has been promoted widely throughout African American and Black British circles. It is re-printed on numerous websites, discussed in chat rooms, forwarded as a “did you know” email to friends and family members, assigned as required readings in college and high school courses, promoted at conferences, and there are several books published with the title of “Willie Lynch.”[1] In addition, new terminology called the “Willie Lynch Syndrome” has been devised to explain the psychological problems and the disunity among Black people.

Further, it is naively assumed by a large number of Willie Lynch believers that this single and isolated speech, allegedly given almost 300 years ago, completely explains the internal problems and divisions within the African American community. They assume that the “Willie Lynch Syndrome” explains Black disunity and the psychological trauma of slavery. While some have questioned and even dismissed this speech from the outset, it is fair to say that most African Americans who are aware of the speech have not questioned its authenticity, and assume it to be a legitimate and very crucial historical document which explains what has happened to African Americans.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
The first two paragraphs from the site/page I mentioned above helped me arrive at the conclusion that the letter was used as an excuse for some in the black community.... I was just basically summarizing what the author of the site was stating.. nothing more, nothing less...

Since 1995 there has been much attention given to a speech claimed to be delivered by a “William Lynch” in 1712. This speech has been promoted widely throughout African American and Black British circles. It is re-printed on numerous websites, discussed in chat rooms, forwarded as a “did you know” email to friends and family members, assigned as required readings in college and high school courses, promoted at conferences, and there are several books published with the title of “Willie Lynch.”[1] In addition, new terminology called the “Willie Lynch Syndrome” has been devised to explain the psychological problems and the disunity among Black people.

Further, it is naively assumed by a large number of Willie Lynch believers that this single and isolated speech, allegedly given almost 300 years ago, completely explains the internal problems and divisions within the African American community. They assume that the “Willie Lynch Syndrome” explains Black disunity and the psychological trauma of slavery. While some have questioned and even dismissed this speech from the outset, it is fair to say that most African Americans who are aware of the speech have not questioned its authenticity, and assume it to be a legitimate and very crucial historical document which explains what has happened to African Americans.
So are you rehashing someone else's opinion or do you have one of your own?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:23 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Quote:
So are you rehashing someone else's opinion or do you have one of your own?
Basically, YES.. most opinions are based on what we have experienced, seen, heard or read about. I read someone's well thought out opinion and agreed with it. so yea, my opinion was based off of some else's opinion..

I never heard of the Willie Lynch letter before you posted about it. I love history and found the original story fascinating! I did some initial research on my own and found the site I mentioned that did a thorough rebuke of the letter. After reading about the letter from the site i mentioned, i agreed with what was said... Although I did find the original letter and subsequent rebuke very enlightening, I don't see the need to dig further into an issue that seems to be BOGUS.

So what's your opinion of the letter?

Old 06-27-2012, 07:50 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,274,107 times
Quote:

One thing I have noticed about your posts is that you require data, footnotes and a bibliography on subjective opinions. Why is that?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:21 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
I don't think the 'letter' is used necessarily as an "excuse for bad behavior", but it is certainly used as a tool for overcoming the divide among blacks in the US. In that way it treats the divisions within the black community as simply being the result of conditioning perptrated upon them by slave masters and is hinted at continuing today. It is intended to work as a rallying cry for unity to overcome the things imposed upon blacks by whites.

The 'letter' became most famous becuase of Farrakhan quoting it during his speech at the Million Man March. Here is a transcript of the speech and I will quote the pertinent sections about what the letter means to him as he talks about and analyzes the entire speech at length:

CNN - Minister Farrakhan challenges black men - Oct. 17, 1995

Quote:
"Gentlemen, these keys are your keys to control. Use them. Never miss an opportunity. And if used intensely for one year, the slaves themselves will remain perpetually distrustful. Thank you, gentlemen." End of quote. So spoke Willie Lynch 283 years ago.

And so, as a consequence, we as a people now have been fractured, divided and destroyed, filled with fear, distrust and envy. Therefore, because of fear, envy and distrust of one another, many of us as leaders, teachers, educators, pastors and persons are still under the control mechanism of our former slave masters and their children.

And now, in spite of all that division, in spite of all that divisiveness. we responded to a call and look at what is present here today. We have here those brothers with means and those who have no means. Those who are light and those who are dark. Those who are educated, those who are uneducated. Those who are business people, those who don't know anything about business. Those who are young, those who are old. Those who are scientific, those who know nothing of science. Those who are religious and those who are irreligious. Those who are Christian, those who are Muslim, those who are Baptist, those who are Methodist, those who are Episcopalian, those of traditional African religion. We've got them all here today.

And why did we come? We came because we want to move toward a more perfect union. And if you notice, the press triggered every one of those divisions. You shouldn't come, you're a Christian. That's a Muslim thing. You shouldn't come, you're too intelligent to follow Hate! You shouldn't come, look at what they did, they excluded women, you see? They played all the cards, they pulled all the strings.
Oh, but you better look again, Willie. There's a new Black man in America today. A new Black woman in America today. Now Brothers, there's a social benefit of our gathering here today. That is, that from this day forward, we can never again see ourselves through the narrow eyes of the limitation of the boundaries of our own fraternal, civic, political, religious, street organization or professional organization. We are forced by the magnitude of what we see here today, that whenever you return to your cities and you see a Black man, a Black woman, don't ask him what is your social, political or religious affiliation, or what is your status? Know that he is your brother.

You must live beyond the narrow restrictions of the divisions that have been imposed upon us. Well, some of us are here because it's history making. Some of us are here because it's a march through which we ca express anger and rage with America for what she has and is doing to us. So, we're here for many reasons but the basic reason while this was called was for atonement and reconciliation. So, it is necessary for me in as short of time as possible to give as full an explanation of atonement as possible.
In summary, the "Willie Lynch Letter" is the basis for continuing the belief that all problems and divisions in the African American community begin and end with the acts that whites have and continue to perpetrate upon it.

It is not surprising to me that this 'letter' began circulating in black publications in 1993/4 and the Million Man March and Farrakhan's speech that used it as it's illustrative base for the external imposition of divide within the African American community happened in 1995.

I suppose my biggest issue with it and the general concept is that the "black community" is some monolithic block and is not composed of people of various means, intellect, backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. The idea that any differences are imposed, is to me a belittling of the great variety present in the black community. If anything I think the concept embodied in the letter and echoed in the Farrakhan speech only serves to create differences and conflict between whites and blacks, not end it. It essentially means that 'race' really is a defining trait above all others and blacks, no matter their station in life, personal beliefs and accomplishments will always be black and therefore must identify with that community above all others.

Old 06-27-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
One thing I have noticed about your posts is that you require data, footnotes and a bibliography on subjective opinions. Why is that?
I only challenge people with off the wall opinions. Opinions that are contrary to the facts… If you can’t substantiate your opinion with data, etc your opinion is most likely based off feelings and not fact…

Old 06-27-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I don't think the 'letter' is used necessarily as an "excuse for bad behavior", but it is certainly used as a tool for overcoming the divide among blacks in the US. In that way it treats the divisions within the black community as simply being the result of conditioning perptrated upon them by slave masters and is hinted at continuing today. It is intended to work as a rallying cry for unity to overcome the things imposed upon blacks by whites.

The 'letter' became most famous becuase of Farrakhan quoting it during his speech at the Million Man March. Here is a transcript of the speech and I will quote the pertinent sections about what the letter means to him as he talks about and analyzes the entire speech at length:

CNN - Minister Farrakhan challenges black men - Oct. 17, 1995

In summary, the "Willie Lynch Letter" is the basis for continuing the belief that all problems and divisions in the African American community begin and end with the acts that whites have and continue to perpetrate upon it.

It is not surprising to me that this 'letter' began circulating in black publications in 1993/4 and the Million Man March and Farrakhan's speech that used it as it's illustrative base for the external imposition of divide within the African American community happened in 1995.

I suppose my biggest issue with it and the general concept is that the "black community" is some monolithic block and is not composed of people of various means, intellect, backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. The idea that any differences are imposed, is to me a belittling of the great variety present in the black community. If anything I think the concept embodied in the letter and echoed in the Farrakhan speech only serves to create differences and conflict between whites and blacks, not end it. It essentially means that 'race' really is a defining trait above all others and blacks, no matter their station in life, personal beliefs and accomplishments will always be black and therefore must identify with that community above all others.
I agree with most of the things you had to say… What I don’t agree with is your assessment that the concept embodied in the letter only serves to create differences and conflict between whites and blacks. The conflict has been there for hundreds of years it wasn’t just created. It started off with the greatest genocide in the history of the world, cemented itself with the creation of the KKK, hit close to home when black wall street was burned down in Tulsa, proliferated with Jim Crow and the anti-civil rights movements, etc... Out of everything that has happened you can’t cherry pick out one attempt to explain what’s going on and label it the reason for “conflict”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History