Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:56 AM

536 posts, read 573,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You kiddin'?

I was here in 1963 and some of it still can't be explained to me.
True. Umm, Star Trek come to life just about? Flip phones that look like communicators, Virtual reality, no flying cars yet though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 01:36 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
I always wanted to be able to go back to 1800, find a reasonably open-minded and smart person, and bring them to the current date and show them around. Can you imagine having them get in a car and go for a ride? And how much you'd need to explain to them about everything they saw?

Another thought I've pondered is how amazing it is to live in this point in history. If you look at the timeline of humans on earth, most of it was pretty dull, little to no technology, and basically living a half step above animals. We take for granted everything we have, but for most humans who've lived on this planet, there was no running water, cars, electricity, lights, etc. You killed and grew your food and walked to get places.

I used to enjoy talking to my great grandmother who lived from about 1890 to 1989. I was fascinated by her stories of life as a little girl on a farm in rural Missiouri, riding in a horse-drawn carriage to school. Stories about how amazed she was when she saw a car for the first time, radio, then TV and air travel. Her life span really bridged the gap from the old way of living to modern. How amazing to live almost 100 years and see all that occur.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:51 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I always wanted to be able to go back to 1800, find a reasonably open-minded and smart person, and bring them to the current date and show them around. Can you imagine having them get in a car and go for a ride? And how much you'd need to explain to them about everything they saw?

Another thought I've pondered is how amazing it is to live in this point in history. If you look at the timeline of humans on earth, most of it was pretty dull, little to no technology, and basically living a half step above animals. We take for granted everything we have, but for most humans who've lived on this planet, there was no running water, cars, electricity, lights, etc. You killed and grew your food and walked to get places.

I used to enjoy talking to my great grandmother who lived from about 1890 to 1989. I was fascinated by her stories of life as a little girl on a farm in rural Missiouri, riding in a horse-drawn carriage to school. Stories about how amazed she was when she saw a car for the first time, radio, then TV and air travel. Her life span really bridged the gap from the old way of living to modern. How amazing to live almost 100 years and see all that occur.
Oh yeah being born in the late 19th century and living to the late 20th century - what a ride that would be! I highly doubt the changes in my life will be as dramatic, but who knows.

Old 04-26-2013, 03:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Default Wow, post 7000!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafkaesque View Post
True. Umm, Star Trek come to life just about? Flip phones that look like communicators, Virtual reality, no flying cars yet though.
Yes, exactly. Of course the flip phone was designed to look like it and we've created an analog to the way they worked in our real world. And the biggest problem in Trek, design wise, became that the ships computer had to be the best, but then in the real world computers were advancing so fast that they could go to the store and buy real systems to install on the bridge stations and have the actors operate the fx. So how do you look more futuristic when it will take you out of the familiar?

But one thing that has done is remake our view of the world. We can talk to people all over the world by typing a message. Instantly. We can find people with our own interests not just in town but halfway across the world. We're just seeing the beginnings of the profound *social* effects this will have. Maybe trek will not seem so unbelievable to our grandkids. (leaving out that third world war stuff, of course).

I started on bbs's and we had our own local one. We had a syspops group and met monthly, users welcome. Then the national nets came and then the international ones like Fido and then the Internet... To me there still is some wonder that I can write this message and people all over the Earth can read it, but to my son who got his first computer at five its just *normal*.

Fifty years ago its a good tv show. A hundred its just magic.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:22 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
Quote:

My maternal grand parents were born in 1890 and 1891. They were both born in Iowa. Their parents had been farmers. His father had been born the year the civil war started, and the county they lived in Missouri was the first depopulated by order of the military once the war began (special order something, book is packed), and he spend his youngest years in Illinious. Then back to Missouri, different county. Then Iowa. He started out a farmer, then embrased the future. He joined the ranks of those who ran the railroads when he went to work for Union Pacific. Between 1910 and 20, they moved to Los Angeles, though they lived both places before. He died there in 1930.

What a ride for him. The hard life of a farm and the civil war to his son working as a property master in Hollwood movies.

My grandmothers's mom bucked the expected of women and moved to Minneapolous and opened a hotel for actors (they had their own hotels as they were not considered respectable enough to stay with 'regular' people) as she grew tired of his liking of the woods.

I'd like to go back to 1800 and ask his grandfather about how they saw the world. That would have been Kentucky. I'd like to understand how someone who lived then thought of the future, what they dreamed, what they considered wonderous or even possible. I wouldn't try to tell them of this world. I'd like to know about theirs, where his grandfather was among the first shipment of convict slaves shipped to Maryland to ease the crowding in the prisons filled by the Old Bailey in London.

I have the feeling someone from 1800 would just want to go home. They would see little they recognized. They would not be impressed or awed so much as understanding how lonely Buck Rogers felt when he woke up in 2700.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:53 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
My grandparents were born in the 1890's, they lived till the 1960's, they had TV, and Phones, and radios... so explaining iphones and computers wouldn't be that hard for them to grasp.

My dad whom was born in the 1920's sees his great grand children on thier iphones and ipads and thinks its awesome.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
My grandma was born in 1922 and used WebTV in the late 90s/early 2000s. When she was a small child, her family had no electricity!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
I think the most exciting times had to be in the early 1900s when people saw electricity and running water come into homes, the inventions like radios, telephones and electric refrigerators, washers and dryers.

Everything else from then on has just been enhancements except for computers.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 PM

340 posts, read 913,915 times
"I possess a device in my pocket capable of accessing the entirity of information of all mankind. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get into arguements with strangers."

Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,580,504 times
Quote:
Have you seen Kate and Leopold? It's a romantic comedy about a few people going back and forth through time. Leopold (Hugh Jackman!) is brought to the present time from the 1870s, and you get to see him coping with and being fascinated by present-day technology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History