Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:33 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,064,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
IMO, NJGOAT is one of the two most valuable posters on the history forum.
All I read was misinformed and illogical drivel not worthy of engaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 07:44 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John-UK View Post
All I read was misinformed and illogical drivel not worthy of engaging.
Is this an example of that wonderful dry British wit?

If so...all I got to say is...'Merica, F*** Yeah!!!

Old 04-06-2014, 09:09 AM

4,798 posts, read 2,801,052 times
Default At the high tide mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
One must think about how Japan had been "reading" US public opinion at the time. Isolationism had been huge here. Many Americans, inside politics and out, were convinced by WWI that Europeans were hard-wired to go to war with each other, thought that Americans were "above that" and were "determined to stay out of Europe's endless quarrels".

Japan thought that the people of the US so wanted to avoid war, that if they took out some US ships, that the people would rise against the US military and the military would forget about enforcing an embargo on Japan.

Of course, it did not happen that way. Losing 2,000 sons on a Sunday morning less than three weeks before Christmas created a population of people who were out for enemy blood. Japan was caught by surprise. They had executed the Pearl Harbor attack flawlessly, but the mission completely failed in its larger objective.

I see a parallel between Pearl and the 9/11 attacks. Al-Queda thought that by destroying the WTC and the Pentagon people-and-all, that the US would stop "meddling" in the affairs of the Islamic World. The attacks devastated the US people, but the US would become more involved in the affairs of the Islamic World than ever.
(My bold)

Tactically, the IJN attack on Pearl & Philippines & etc. was excellent. Strategically, the Pearl attack was a disaster. Pearl sank ships mostly @ their moorings, in shallow water, within easy reach of machine shops, pumps, parts, fuel, divers, salvage/work crews. All the ships - except three - see Pearl Harbor Raid: Post-attack Ship Salvage were repaired & put back into service by early 1944. The attack missed the carriers, which turned out to be the most important for force projection. & of course, the follow-up attack on shops, fuel tank farms, etc. - which would have made salvage/recovery much more difficult - was called off.

Japan had other options - but the militarists who had captured the government were trained to always attack, @ the cost of missing/ignoring any other option.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:22 AM

56 posts, read 161,177 times
I haven't read all 17 pages of posts, so I don't know if this contribution has been made or not. I've been a fan of the anime show "Space Battleship Yamato" for 35 years. It was imported as "Star Blazers" and has a huge fan base. One of the themes in the show is their spaceship, the Yamato, is being sent on a desparate mission to save the homeworld (akin to the final mission of IJN Yamato to Okinawa in 1945). There are a lot of themes of perseverence and sacrifice in the series, which I believe mirrors how the Japanese saw themselves in '44-'45. The "planet bombs" the aliens use all have the distinctive "mushroom cloud" effect which immediately made me connect with images of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Interestingly, there is a "reboot" of the first season that is about 2 years old that is written with more back-story and depth of character. In this series, the Earthers "shot first" and the alien invaders seemed to have all of the political backstories that mirrored what may have transpired between the Army, Navy, and Emperor during the war. When I have some time I'll read all the posts in this thread and jump in if inspired. In the meantime, I wonder if themes in various anime series in general often project sort of a "revisionist" view to focus on resillience rather than the terror they created in the war?

Old 04-24-2014, 06:38 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
^^Probably sort of similar how Bugs Bunny whipped the entire IJN in USA 1940s anime.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Remember it only could took the loss of the outdated Maine to get the USA in the Spanish American War. Similarly the USA could have sent one of the older battleships like the Arkansas with her 12 inch guns to the exposed port of Manila as BAIT.
Isn't there forensic evidence that suggests their was an explosion in a powder magazine due to environmental issues on board the Maine that caused it's sinking? Kind of a ****ty way to start a war...

Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
^^Probably sort of similar how Bugs Bunny whipped the entire IJN in USA 1940s anime.
Oh yeah! Some of those Warner Bros. cartoons during the war were great propaganda! Quite "non-PC" by today's standards, but they got the job done!

Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,200,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyP27 View Post
Oh yeah! Some of those Warner Bros. cartoons during the war were great propaganda! Quite "non-PC" by today's standards, but they got the job done!
They were definitely "PC" by the 1940s standards, though.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:03 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyP27 View Post
Isn't there forensic evidence that suggests their was an explosion in a powder magazine due to environmental issues on board the Maine that caused it's sinking? Kind of a ****ty way to start a war...
Yeah I think the Maine explosion was probably accidental myself.

However, I mentioned the Maine because I trying to make the point that if Roosevelt really wanted the Japanese to attack the USA so the US could get in the war, a single old battleship like the Arkansas left out in say in the Philippines would have been sufficient as bait. Instead he left the oldest battleships in the Atlantic and put almost all the better more valuable battleships (the standard types) at Pearl. Therefore, I do not think Roosevelt wanted the battleships to be attacked like some conspiracy people accuse him of.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:06 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Default Did Japan have no choice but to attack the US in WWII?

Japan had choices.

They sure picked the wrong one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History