Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 03:45 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times

Advertisements

Seeing as the Roman calendar was in use throughout the western Mediterranean in the "BC era", I'm guessing Miss Sextilis was probably always the hottest monthly pinup girl of the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 10:28 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zea mays View Post
@The Futurist: In astronomy, the months and days DO go in backward order. The calendar date 01/01/01 CE (Julian day 1721423.5) was immediately preceded by 12/31/01 BCE (JD 1721422.5)

Check it out here:
http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/JulianDate.php

There is no year zero.
Thanks for posting that info. That is interesting.

As a amateur astronomer dealing with variable stars and a Orthodox Christian I have always had a Julian Day calendar in my office.

My friends always find it odd that according to my calendar Christmas Day comes on January 7th by their calendar!!

Now, I can also tell them my calendar runs backward!!

Old 01-12-2022, 08:44 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I am not sure what an ancient calendar looks like, but we have a good idea what watches look like:

What did the "B.C." Calendar look like? (As opposed to A.D.)-flintstones-watch.jpg

Old 01-12-2022, 01:34 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
Being as the B.C. (Before Christ) calendar counted down to zero, what exactly did that calendar look like?

Did the months go in backward order?

Instead of...
January
February
March

They would have gone...
December
November
October

And the days for each month, instead of...

They would have gone...

So the first day of the year would have been December 31. The last day of the year January 1st.

And of course the years would have counted down instead of up.

It must have been confusing in the years -1, 0, 1 and 2... "That was done in the year 1!" someone says. The other person says, "Do you mean the year -1 or the year +1?"

And it must have been terrible writing the year on a check! Like 5-3-1 for A.D. year one.
But for B.C. year one, 5-3--1? (minus one?)
There were no negative numbers. First our current calendar the Gregorian calendar was only created in 1582. Only since then has it been standardized enough to be adopted worldwide, including the numbering system for years.

The Julian calendar before that didn't really number years. At least not until much later. If you wanted to specify the Christian year, you would include the words "In the Year of our Lord xxx) to indicate that you were counting the years down to the birth of Jesus Christ. But you could choose any other time point to count down to, which many civilizations did.

The concept of A.D. and B.C. wasn't even devised until the 6th century and was not widely used until the 9th century. So in short, there were no numbered years until well after that era.

Anno Domini - Wikipedia

Old 01-13-2022, 12:22 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I am not sure what an ancient calendar looks like, but we have a good idea what watches look like:

Attachment 234201
The Sumerian calendars were made out of clay and too heavy to hang on the wall.

Old 01-13-2022, 01:11 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Little sun dial on a strap. Barney was never late for an appointment.

Old 01-13-2022, 05:28 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
A slate with markings, like on the Flintstones?

That's what I think the calendar would look like. Hehe
If you recall, there was a great deal of trepidation about the world coming to an end in 2012-- apparently predicted by an ancient Aztec calender.

As it turns out, that Aztec calender ended in 2012 because the guy carving it simply ran out of stone and couldn't go any further.

"Oh....Never mind." -- Roseanne Roseannadanna

Old 01-14-2022, 04:02 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
If you recall, there was a great deal of trepidation about the world coming to an end in 2012-- apparently predicted by an ancient Aztec calender.

As it turns out, that Aztec calender ended in 2012 because the guy carving it simply ran out of stone and couldn't go any further.

"Oh....Never mind." -- Roseanne Roseannadanna
I think that was Emily Litella, another Gilda Radner SNL character. Good thought, though.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:16 AM

1,073 posts, read 621,800 times
This is a somewhat comical yet very interesting question in regards to trying to figure out how something functioned a long time ago.
Everything had to revolve around the sun, stars, ocean, and moon back then, hey sort of like it is today, no?. I'm LOL at some of the replies in regards to time going backwards-- as in the aging process and dates.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:01 PM

9,357 posts, read 14,297,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I'm not a scholar, thus the reason for this silly question!
It is silly.

If we were serious about a “common era”, it would start with industrialization. For love of a round number, I would propose 1800 as year zero of the common era, also not insignificantly the year of the very first electric battery.

Anyway, from the times of the successors of Alexander up until around the year 525, most people, at least those who were literate and numerate, in the Mediterranean and Mesopotamia areas officially counted years by the founding of the Seleukid dynasty or the reigns of the Ptolemaic kings and later the Roman emperors or from the founding of the city of Rome, etc. The Egyptians and Mesopotamians before the Persians had their own ways of reckoning times and years, probably also based on king and pharaoh lists. And so on in other regions of the world.

Also worthy of note, for many people the new year began on or around September 1st, after the summer harvest. We have vestiges of this even in the US where the official fiscal year begins on October 1st.

By 525 in the western Mediterranean, it probably became apparent that an emperor at Rome would not return after some 50 years of vacancy, so someone came up with a new scheme.

It’s time we came up with a new scheme too, but this “common era”/“before common era” crap is a goddamn cop-out, it makes those who use it look like copy cats and stupid monkeys, not scholars.

Let’s get serious and make a real change, it would sell a lot of new history textbooks and calendars, even electronically, so apropos.

Last edited by bale002; 01-14-2022 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History