Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 10:52 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,960,282 times

Advertisements

Smartphones, people. Can't believe no one's mentioned them.

In 2040s we'd laugh at how large our smartphones were, just like how now we're laughing at our big mobile phones in the 90s.

I think smartphones will get smaller and thinner as years pass....They'd start to resemble a feature phone, probably something like this (but with a longer screen): http://i-cdn.phonearena.com/images/p...Review-001.jpg

Old 05-20-2014, 11:46 PM

209 posts, read 304,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
the tattoo craze will definitely die out by the 2030's it's already dying out right now, with people regretting getting them and wanting them removed

I recently saw a lady at the grocery store with a large tattoo covering her entire back that looked kind of like wings and it almost looked like a large bruise, all over he back and shoulders, awful

and she was only in her mid 20's
So because you don't like something, that makes it awful and means it is dying out?

Old 05-21-2014, 12:00 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
I think people will think the tattoo overload of today ala Rihanna looks stupid, as well as some of the hipster fashions like glasses without lenses . I also think people will view today as relatively backwards for things like the death penalty still existing and gay marriage being illegal in many states and the persistence of the "greed is good" mentality that started in the 1980s.

As far as today's music, I think stuff like Kesha and Justin Bieber will be laughed at but the more artsy stuff like Lorde and the Arctic Monkeys will be remembered fondly. If global warming gets really bad too, people will think we were idiots for not doing less, just like people today think people in the past (up to the 90s, really) were idiots for tolerating smoking so much.
This is a very interesting question. I have briefly thought of this a few times myself.

I think the very bright and colorful running shoes people wear in our time will become dated soon, and the future will move to a different style.

Gay marriage and marijuana will probably be legalized across the nation by then, even in the deep southern states. People will think about how backwards we were for not getting on board with marriage equality sooner.

Our revolutionary smartphones that we have are getting outdated every 2 years, imagine what they'll seem like by the year 2040.

Desktop computers will most likely be obsolete. They will take on another shape, or the tablets and new micro computers will be just as powerful as a desktop.

I already see the compact disc losing its prowess. We are moving to digital and streamed media. It wouldn't surprise me if by 2040 we don't even use CD's anymore. CD's may become like what records and floppy disks are today.

I do wonder how Lady Gaga will go down, she will be Madonna's age in those years, and she may be remembered in a similar way to Madonna.

Lastly, I may draw ire for this one to include politics, but I do think that for the most part, President Obama will be remembered fondly.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 AM

226 posts, read 284,923 times
We would laugh about how everyone used smartphones back in the day when we currently holographic screens as phones.

Old 05-26-2014, 03:55 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,398 times
What will seem cheesy won't matter much.

Radical feminism will be snuffed out. Sharia law will overtake/replace freedom as we know it now. Women will be wearing niqab.

China will be the only super power. And major corporations will have long relocated most of their headquarters/holdings to the far east. Standard dark suit and tie will be replaced with changshan style of formal wear.

Much of Europe will be re-annexed to Russia - their clothing / hair style won't change much.

US will sell much of it's military hardware to pay off debt, and citizens won't have money for whatever replaces smartphones.

Everyone over 50 will be killed to save money.

Last edited by Texabama; 05-26-2014 at 04:08 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 05:50 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
They will mock the fact that we wasted so much time making noise on internet forums.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:00 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Styles change an lot. In the 80ies Jeans were tight not baggy....Skinny jeans in an sense are just full circle.
My favorite jeans from the '80s were baggy. They had a button-fly, a paper bag, fold-over waist, and a light wash. To think of them now is vaguely horrifying, but they were quite fashionable, and I LOVED them. My other favorite pants were red knit harem pants. Yeah, it's embarrassing, but I thought I looked magnificent at the time.

I can't really say what I think the next generation will find dated, but I'll throw out the Bluetooth earpiece as something I'd like to see gone.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-28-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 05-28-2014, 11:03 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
This thread.

Get back to me in 20 years (Lord willing) and I'll let you know.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:54 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
The Tea Party, Americans For Prosperity, and Rush Limbaugh (or Glenn Beck, Hannity and Mark Levin)
add to that the War on Terror.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:43 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,035,522 times
Specific websites that appear to drive cultural trends: Facebook of the future will be what AOL is today... not much.

The Tea Party, and assorted forms of backwards thinking associated with it. The War on Terror will also been seen for what it is - a license for endless war against a concept that cannot really be defeated.

Absurd body modifications: I can't be sure about some tattoos and piercings, but the insane extent to which some people carry those trends will probably seem laughable and out of place decades from now. We're talking about the people who look like they fell into a tacklebox... lunacy...

Religious absurdity: Religion itself will still exist, as will extremists, sadly, but I think some of the lunacy that you see these days - "God wants you to love the rich and hate the poor / gays / blacks / people who worship the same God in slightly different ways" - will have died out. There will still be religious hatred, but it will be focused on larger differences vs. smaller ones.

Modern technology: Obvious, but all "modern" technology becomes obsolete.

McMansions and Hummers: Already fading and more of an icon of the 2000's than the 2010's, these grossly oversized and overpriced monuments to excess and lack of taste will be mocked for exactly what they are years from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History