Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 05:08 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,799,890 times

Advertisements

After 1950, exactly which cases have there been where countries tried modifying national borders along ethnic and/or religious lines using military force?

So far, I can think of:

Kashmir (Pakistan unsuccessfully tried using military force to acquire the Muslim-majority parts of Kashmir under Indian rule in both 1965 and 1999):

Khuzestan (Iraq unsuccessfully tried using military force to acquire Arab-majority Khuzestan in the 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq War):

Ogaden (Somalia unsuccessfully tried using military force to acquire the Somali-majority region of Ogaden in the 1977-1978 Ogaden War):

Crimea (Russia successfully used military force to acquire Russian-majority Crimea in 2014):

Anyway, exactly which similar efforts, if any, am I forgetting to list here?

Any thoughts on this?

Moderator cut: Map images removed due to copyright violations. OP can provide links to maps in another post.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-16-2015 at 05:03 AM.. Reason: Map images removed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 05:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,616,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
After 1950, exactly which cases have there been where countries tried modifying national borders along ethnic and/or religious lines using military force?

So far, I can think of:

Kashmir (Pakistan unsuccessfully tried using military force to acquire the Muslim-majority parts of Kashmir under Indian rule in both 1965 and 1999):

Khuzestan (Iraq unsuccessfully tried using military force to acquire Arab-majority Khuzestan in the 1980-1988 Iran-Iraq War):

Ogaden (Somalia unsuccessfully tried using military force to acquire the Somali-majority region of Ogaden in the 1977-1978 Ogaden War):

Crimea (Russia successfully used military force to acquire Russian-majority Crimea in 2014):

Anyway, exactly which similar efforts, if any, am I forgetting to list here?

Any thoughts on this?
Serbia during the '90s?

Old 09-14-2015, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Serbia during the '90s?
Exactly which territories did Serbia want to annex back then? Some or all of Bosnia and Herzegovina? The Serb-majority parts of Croatia? Any other territories?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:12 AM

16,561 posts, read 10,647,840 times
Quote:
Exactly which territories did Serbia want to annex back then? Some or all of Bosnia and Herzegovina? The Serb-majority parts of Croatia? Any other territories?
I don't recall Serbia wanting to annex territory. What they wanted to do was expel any non-Serbs from their territory so that they could create an ethnically homogeneous state. I believe this is when the term "ethnic cleansing" came into being.

Are you including ethnic cleansing in your question, or are you only looking at cases where borders were redrawn?

Old 09-15-2015, 07:15 AM

16,561 posts, read 10,647,840 times
One could argue that Israel's building of their separation barrier ("The Fence") would fit this category. At first, they built it along the Green Line separating Israel proper from the West Bank. But later sections of the Fence were routed into the West Bank to encompass primarily Jewish areas. They've denied that the Fence is intended to act as a national border, but it has certainly taken on the de facto characteristic of one.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I don't recall Serbia wanting to annex territory. What they wanted to do was expel any non-Serbs from their territory so that they could create an ethnically homogeneous state. I believe this is when the term "ethnic cleansing" came into being.

Are you including ethnic cleansing in your question, or are you only looking at cases where borders were redrawn?
I am only looking at cases where there was an actual attempt (for the record, this attempt doesn't have to be successful) to redraw national borders (more-or-less) based on ethnic lines and/or on religious lines.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
One could argue that Israel's building of their separation barrier ("The Fence") would fit this category. At first, they built it along the Green Line separating Israel proper from the West Bank. But later sections of the Fence were routed into the West Bank to encompass primarily Jewish areas. They've denied that the Fence is intended to act as a national border, but it has certainly taken on the de facto characteristic of one.
The thing is, though, that as far as I know, all of the Jewish settlements in the West Bank were only created after Israel conquered the West Bank from Jordan back in 1967. Thus, unless I am missing something here, your example here does not appear to work for this.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
I've got a question--did I need to provide sources for all of the maps that I posted here? If so, then please let me know so that I can do this!
Also, can a moderator here please turn all of my maps here into links? After all, I have just realized that at least one of these maps here is copyrighted.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:45 PM

16,682 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Also, can a moderator here please turn all of my maps here into links? After all, I have just realized that at least one of these maps here is copyrighted.
No. I can't do that because I don't know the sources for the maps. However, you can do that now.

Last edited by mensaguy; 09-16-2015 at 05:07 AM.. Reason: Preparing to re-open the thread.

Old 09-16-2015, 09:53 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,393,297 times
Quote:

Serbia and Croatia each sought to annex a disputed province (eastern Vukovina- or something like that). First, local Serb militias set up check points and declared it part of Serbia. Soon afterwards, Croats stated to "disappear" at these check points.

Several years later, the Croat regular army launched a big counter offensive (invasion from the Serb point of view). Most of the local Serbs fled, a certain number of those who did not were murdered by Croat irregulars that followed the regular army into the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History