Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2014, 12:50 PM

88 posts, read 159,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I went to school in alabama during that time and one of my biggest complaint was, every history class, every year for 12 years started with the pilgrim and ended with war of 1812.

never once did we get pass war of 1812, no civil war, no 1920, no vietnam war
Just had to drop in and say that I am laughing out loud at this post and Ralph_Kirk's.....I am a product of the Alabama educational system, and all I can say is YES, what you both said is so true....I totally remember the Alabama History books and I noticed the same thing / had the same experience as well

Old 07-12-2014, 01:23 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGMO View Post
I've read sources that have stated over half of Whites owned African slaves. The source you referenced is providing data from 1860 which is only one year of data in the over 400 years that the enslavement of Africans legally existed in the U.S. I Could be wrong, it's not really important to me to be honest but congratulations on your "victory" if you're correct.
Sources can be wrong too, interpretating data incorrectly or not having a good enough base. Always look at that before making it a major point. And look at their agenda too. Statistics can be twisted easily and the same set can 'prove' a wide range of things depending one how you cherry pick. They can also be based on a small area and 'generalized' because it proves their point where there is no general commality. Beware of sources until you see what they looked and and keep an open mind.

The thing is this doesn't track with the nature of slavery in an economic sense. Slaves were expensive to buy and the majority of farms had one or two, while only the wealthy had plantations. But most stmall farms couldn't afford one slave. The South was attempting to mirror the country gentry of England, and flash their wealth amid great poverty. Most small farmers had extended families and children to do the work. They didn't have the captial for buying a slave.

In the North, servants were sometimes treated as if they were disposable slaves, cheaper in the long run since if the new maid didn't work out there was no investment in her, and the next one might do better. Ditto industry which had come to use workers as long as possible under risky and dangerous conditions. But if people are poor enough, and they were, they'd take the deal. And nobody else had to be cared for, housed, found work. And if they didn't work out they were shown the door and replaced with another body. The northern industires were no more 'moral' in terms of human rights, but found a cheaper model and a plentiful source of labor.

And the census is run only every decade. You follow trends by looking at successive ones. If in 1860, only 8 percent of of households owned a slave, jumping to over fifty percent in a couple of years before the Civil war would be a notable change with many other repercussions. But we don't hear of these, and the northern half of the country was turning to cheap wage labor as the best economic solution.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:54 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
We mourn those of Pearl Harbor, previous World Wars, Holocaust, and the list goes on yet we were not there for those.
People hold irrational hostility toward Muslims and hate that did nothing to them.

I feel we marginalize what they have gone through but we wouldn't want our history to be minimized or buried in books.
We do not want people to forget 9/1, it was a travesty just as Slavery which could be considered a terroristic act.
But there's millions of people who remember 9/11. There's kids who never knew a parent who died in the dust. There's untold numbers who knew someone who perished. We mourn for them since we're still reeling from the act. And Pearl Harbor in itself is mourned still because there are people who's father or grandfather died then. Or who survived it. Just as WW2 is still an active element in the lives of the children of the warriors because it made them different and some of them are telling their stories now.

But slavery was over a centrury ago. There is nobody who was personally touched by it. We should study the history, but lose the blame. Those blacks who choose to blame all whites for the misfortune of their ancestrers are doing harm to everyone, just as those whites who choose to blame all blacks for the misfortune of their ancestors give them a place to shout at. If we were destined to hold onto historical anger, then those people in England who are not of Norman descent should be railing against those who are. After all, the Normans came and took what they wanted, imposed their own culture and and language and even stripped the anglo/saxon/dane aristrocracy of their land and positions. And commited what amounted to ethnic clensing. But nobody fights about it now. Maybe we should learn.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:23 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,483,735 times
Here are some little discussed issues involving slavery:

Only a small percentage of African slaves came to what is now the U.S., most went to the Caribbean or Soth.

There were BLACK slave owners in the U.S..

White European slaves were treated far harshly than Black slaves...t wasn't until much later that the indentured servants came over. Initially they were SLAVES and valued much less and treated worse than black slaves.

There were laws regulating the treatment of slaves, slaves had legal remedies.

Slaves could purchase their freedom.

Slaves could own parcels of land.

Despite slavery being common all through history, it was the U.S. that put a stop to it, yet is the one country held most accountable for it!

Slavery is happening right now!

Blacks are still enslaving other blacks as you read this...what are your concerns about that?

Old 07-12-2014, 03:23 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
We have afford reparations for other groups why not those blacks?
It was stupid to give them to other groups also. Good heavens, every group has some kind of grievance....where would this all end?

Last edited by Luvvarkansas; 07-12-2014 at 03:31 PM..

Old 07-12-2014, 03:43 PM

400 posts, read 575,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Because the white slave traders were Christian.

By the latter 1700s, the entire Christian world had acknowledged slavery was a sin, and most had acknowedged it before then. Even southern slaveholders in America admitted slavery was a sin (though they changed their minds after the cotton gin made slavery even more wildly lucrative than it had been before).

They knew they were wrong at the time.
Not only did they admit it was wrong but the States also wrote letters expressing the financial gains that were made because of slavery and that the end of the practice would destroy their trade empire with the rest of the world in the years prior to the civil war.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:48 PM

400 posts, read 575,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Here are some little discussed issues involving slavery:

Only a small percentage of African slaves came to what is now the U.S., most went to the Caribbean or Soth.

There were BLACK slave owners in the U.S..

White European slaves were treated far harshly than Black slaves...t wasn't until much later that the indentured servants came over. Initially they were SLAVES and valued much less and treated worse than black slaves.

There were laws regulating the treatment of slaves, slaves had legal remedies.

Slaves could purchase their freedom.

Slaves could own parcels of land.

Despite slavery being common all through history, it was the U.S. that put a stop to it, yet is the one country held most accountable for it!

Slavery is happening right now!

Blacks are still enslaving other blacks as you read this...what are your concerns about that?
Provide written factual statements supporting any of this. There is NOTHING I have ever read historically that gave blacks any rights in the U.S. until after the emancipation, they were not even counted as a human being during the census even after. Blacks were not allowed to own land, they were not allowed to even own themselves in most states.

Read a book, PLEASE! The U.S. was one of the last industrialized nations to end slavery. It made the most profits off the practice, the country would not have been built without slavery, documented facts in our historial books.

Slavery served a purpose, as did child labor and abusive labor practices inflicted on immigrants, profits!

Old 07-12-2014, 03:52 PM

4,901 posts, read 8,757,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Yes, two people represent an entire race.

I don't know what to make of white Americans after the James Byrd incident. But I guess David Duke still has plenty of followers

Sorry, but anyone who takes either of them seriously has issues.

Geesh, I guess blacks and whites have hang ups they need to get over
Not true (your first statement)....hence my prior statement, "And they have plenty of followers."

I had to read up on James Byrd. That was horrible. But....the three men responsible for it being prosecuted to the full extent of the law (two of them put to death, which is definitely what should have been done) isn't good enough for you? Why does this make you not know "what to make of white Americans"? I watched a news video...did you see all those white people arresting those scum, searching for clues, prosecuting the perps? What you didn't see was 20,000 to 30,000 white people from all over the country descending on Jasper and marching, demonstrating, protesting, etc., (think Jena 6) or rioting and looting because the perps were being prosecuted. What on earth can you mean by that statement?

Your last statement is true. But as long as people keep looking back at past wrongs and using those wrongs as an excuse to do more wrong, nothing is going to get any better. People need to live in the present, take responsibility for their OWN actions, and do right NOW.

Old 07-12-2014, 03:56 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,593,450 times
I'd be willing to bet that by the 2nd or 3rd generation, less (perhaps much less)
than half of slaves would have chosen to go back to the Dark Continent
if given the chance.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:09 PM

877 posts, read 1,316,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvvarkansas View Post
Not true (your first statement)....hence my prior statement, "And they have plenty of followers."

I had to read up on James Byrd. That was horrible. But....the three men responsible for it being prosecuted to the full extent of the law (two of them put to death, which is definitely what should have been done) isn't good enough for you? Why does this make you not know "what to make of white Americans"? I watched a news video...did you see all those white people arresting those scum, searching for clues, prosecuting the perps? What you didn't see was 20,000 to 30,000 white people from all over the country descending on Jasper and marching, demonstrating, protesting, etc., (think Jena 6) or rioting and looting because the perps were being prosecuted. What on earth can you mean by that statement?

Your last statement is true. But as long as people keep looking back at past wrongs and using those wrongs as an excuse to do more wrong, nothing is going to get any better. People need to live in the present, take responsibility for their OWN actions, and do right NOW.
It's sarcasm and I was mocking your generalizations

Don't like generalizations? Don't make them yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History