Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 11:43 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times

Advertisements

Why was the civil war fought?
I was always told that it was slavery
but now I find a lot of Southerns saying that it was because of the Federal government and economy.

The reason I ask is because I was reading some about the Civil War and found a speech given by the Vice-President of the Confederacy when the new government was formed.

Quote:
Confederate States of America Constitution: Cornerstone Speech

The Cornerstone Speech, also known as the Cornerstone Address, was delivered extemporaneously by Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens in Savannah, Georgia on March 21, 1861. The speech explained what the differences were between the constitution of the Confederate Republic and that of the United States, laid out the Confederate causes for the American Civil War, and defended slavery. The speech was given weeks after the secession of South Carolina, Mississippi, Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, and then Texas and less than three weeks after the inauguration of U.S. President Lincoln. Hostilities between the two sides had not yet begun.

"Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the n**** is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and moral condition. [Applause.] This, our new Government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science. It is so even amongst us. Many who hear me, perhaps, can recollect well that this truth was not generally admitted, even within their day. The errors of the past generation still clung to many as late as twenty years ago. Those at the North who still cling to these errors with a zeal above knowledge, we justly denominate fanatics. All fanaticism springs from an aberration of the mind; from a defect in reasoning. It is a species of insanity"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:53 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,418,234 times
A letter from Lincoln to Horace Greely (in part)....

"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."

Abraham Lincoln's Letter to Horace Greeley

Old 01-12-2015, 12:41 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Never forget that the emancipation proclamation ONLY purported to free slaves in the Confederacy, which was outside of the reach of Lincoln's legal arm at the time. Slaves in the Northern states were NOT emancipated.

The power of the Federal government being greater than the original agreed-to confederacy of colonies was the core dispute upon which many other disputes hinged - including but not limited to slavery.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:49 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
We have exhausted this topic in previous threads, this one in particular was involved in extended, detailed debate of the causes.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...ar-causes.html

Old 01-12-2015, 12:57 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,961,005 times
Agreed, this subject is pretty tired on this site.

The civil war was fought because the South did not want Federal involvement in the lives of the individual.

The issue that sparked the debate? You guessed it. The right to own slaves.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:59 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Never forget that the emancipation proclamation ONLY purported to free slaves in the Confederacy, which was outside of the reach of Lincoln's legal arm at the time. Slaves in the Northern states were NOT emancipated.

The power of the Federal government being greater than the original agreed-to confederacy of colonies was the core dispute upon which many other disputes hinged - including but not limited to slavery.
Also, the slaves in border states were not covered, Abe didn't want them to secede either. The whole concept was purely political, and kinda funny actually. It would be like me telling my neighbor's kids that they didn't have to listen to their parents, just because I said so.

Why was the civil war fought?-220px-emancipation_proclamation.png

Old 01-12-2015, 02:13 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,138,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Also, the slaves in border states were not covered, Abe didn't want them to secede either. The whole concept was purely political, and kinda funny actually.
It was not purely political, the Emancipation Proclamation was promoted as, and was, a military necessity. In that the South insisted that the slaves were property, and that property used to further a nation's military goals is considered legal contraband and subject to seizure by the enemy, freeing the slaves was indeed the depriving of the enemy of vital war material.

The Confederates used their slaves to build fortifications, repair railways, haul supplies, do the cooking and laundry for camps and care for horses.

President Lincoln, before signing the Emancipation Proclamation, got Congress to pass a bill offering compensation for all slaves emancipated in the loyal slave states. This was rejected firmly by the officials of those states. So, Lincoln at least attempted to free those slaves as well. Of course they were freed in 1865 by the passage of the 13th Amendment.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:41 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,343,520 times
Since the production of Ken Burns' The Civil War TV series, now 25 years ago, it is popular and semi-oficially approved that the Civil War was fought over slavery ... and slavery alone; the point that the nation's economic future - whether America would be an industrial vs. an agrarian society, is generally soft-pedaled.

Dumb 'em down and turn the militant abolitionists who fed the flames into heroes ... so that the same mantle can be passed to today's "progressive" busybodies.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
No comment about the Cornerstone speech?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:18 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
No comment about the Cornerstone speech?
Not from the usual suspects, no.

Nor will they mention the various declarations of secession wherein Southern states took pains to enunciate the specific reason behind their secessions - and that reason is, simply, slavery. Because that's what the seceding states openly admitted it to be.

Here's a few such declarations:
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_scarsec.asp
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_missec.asphat
https://www.tsl.texas.gov/ref/abouttx/secession/2feb1861.html
http://avalon.law.yale.edu/19th_century/csa_geosec.asp

You'll note that there is not a peep in those declarations about taxes or tariffs - such alleged motiviations being a popular excuse for Southern revisionists. Also, the silly nonsense about 'states rights' is just that - the Confederate Constitution explicitly forbid any of the individual states of the Confederacy from banning slavery. So much for caring one whit about allowing states the right to govern themselves. Nonetheless, some will serve up either or both of these excuses, alternately ignoring the declarations and logically contorting themselves in desperate attempts to rationalize ignoring them.

This is not to say that every Southerner fought for that reason. Of course, myriad motivations compel soldiers in any conflict. But the driving reason behind the political forces who enacted secession was to preserve the institution of slavery.

Nor is it to say that the overriding reason for the prosecution of the war by the Union was to eradicate slavery. Rather, the motivation of the Union was to preserve, or restore, the entirety of the Union itself. As with the South, the reasons individuals in the North supported the war varied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History