Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 10:32 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why the Berlin Wall Fell | Dinesh D'Souza

"The tears of joy with which millions greeted the collapse of the Soviet empire proved that Reagan was entirely justified in calling it an “evil empire.” Even some of who were previously skeptical of Reagan were compelled to admit that they had been wrong and Reagan’s approach had been thoroughly vindicated. Reflecting on Reagan’s complex strategy of initial toughness toward the Soviet Union—in the face of denunciation from liberals—and later support for Gorbachev—in the face of criticism from conservatives—Henry Kissinger called it “the most stunning diplomatic achievement of the modern era.”

Margaret Thatcher composed Reagan’s epitaph when she said that “he won the cold war without firing a shot.” That’s how history will remember him. On the anniversary of the Berlin Wall’s collapse, we should do Reagan the honor of recognizing his prescient leadership that helped to produce that marvelous event."

This explains more of how Reagan played a role in getting the wall to fall down. Great analysis.
Thank God for Reagan!

At the time, the world needed Reagan, Thatcher and Pope John Paul II.

Not Carter, Khrushchev and an imam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2014, 10:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Poor concrete work. After all, it was put up in a hurry. Too much sand, I would guess.

I assume that the reasons are many and intertwined. President Reagan's policies certainly helped in the breakup, as did having Gorbachev as the Soviet leader (recall that the Wall fell first, with the Soviet Union breaking up a year later).
No I believe the East Germans/Soviets left certain sections weaker so they could drive Tanks and APC's through the wall and attack West Berlin push as far into western Germany and grab as much territory as fast as possible.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:35 AM

136 posts, read 118,469 times
Communism was untenable for many reasons...not just because the USSR was indebted, but the people living there and in its satellite states got pissed off of the regime.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:57 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Thank God for Reagan!

At the time, the world needed Reagan, Thatcher and Pope John Paul II.

Not Carter, Khrushchev and an imam.
The world needed Gorbachev more than anyone, Putin could learn a lot from his example.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:15 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The world needed Gorbachev more than anyone, Putin could learn a lot from his example.
That trade-union organizer Lech Walesa had nothing to do with it either.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:48 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
You guys have it all wrong. Everyone knows that the single person most responsible for bringing down the Berlin Wall is:

The Hoff himself, yes - DAVID HASSELHOFF!

David Hasselhoff Berlin Wall Memories: A Little Piece of Freedom

"The theme of Knight Rider was that one man can make a difference — and in 1989 I thought, I have a chance to do something with this. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time."...
I wept when I read that.

Old 11-14-2014, 01:54 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,178,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why the Berlin Wall Fell | Dinesh D'Souza

"The tears of joy with which millions greeted the collapse of the Soviet empire proved that Reagan was entirely justified in calling it an “evil empire.” Even some of who were previously skeptical of Reagan were compelled to admit that they had been wrong and Reagan’s approach had been thoroughly vindicated. Reflecting on Reagan’s complex strategy of initial toughness toward the Soviet Union—in the face of denunciation from liberals—and later support for Gorbachev—in the face of criticism from conservatives—Henry Kissinger called it “the most stunning diplomatic achievement of the modern era.”

Margaret Thatcher composed Reagan’s epitaph when she said that “he won the cold war without firing a shot.” That’s how history will remember him. On the anniversary of the Berlin Wall’s collapse, we should do Reagan the honor of recognizing his prescient leadership that helped to produce that marvelous event."

This explains more of how Reagan played a role in getting the wall to fall down. Great analysis.
Reagan also gave amnesty for refugees from the East and South. That was also an important part of the liberation. I hear his followers will continue this important legacy of freedom un-waveringly.

Last edited by Potential_Landlord; 11-14-2014 at 02:13 PM..

Old 11-14-2014, 03:32 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
While politics forum refugees are a nuisance, this thread makes it worthwhile. Nice work, folks.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:54 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Reagan had NOTHING to do with it..a little speech meant zero.

Pseudohistory

Pseudohistory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Funny how the starry eyed think Reagan ACTUALLY had something to do with the wall coming down huh? It was only a very well timed speech.
I often wonder how the events would have play out had the East Germans started mowing down the protestors.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Reagan had NOTHING to do with it..a little speech meant zero.

Pseudohistory

Pseudohistory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm sure that is what your liberal professors told you but that web site says nothing about Reagan. You have a link that does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History