Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2014, 07:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,210,054 times

Advertisements

Today construction workers unearthed a Civil War-era artillery shell that is believed to have been there for more than a century. Nearby streets were shut down for a period of time.

The shell, which is about a foot long, was removed by the Department of Defense. The area where the shell was found is part of the expansion of the Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center.

“It is quite common to find Civil War artifacts on the peninsula, not always as spectacular as an unexploded shell, though they are found every once in a while,” explains archaeology professor Barbara Borg. “From time to time battalions of soldiers came through and camped in large numbers, so it is common to find horse hardware, ceramics, cookware, buttons and buckles from clothing, pewter silverware and, where preservation is really good, items made out of wood, like drumsticks and the wooden parts of brushes.”

Civil War Shells Found on CofC Campus in Charleston : College of Charleston News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 10:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
They unearth explosive cannon balls all the time in civil war battle fields really. If they allowed more searches they'd find many more than they do now.

Old 12-04-2014, 07:05 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
You know, I think that's mine. The last time I was visiting the Sylvia Vlosky Yaschik Jewish Studies Center, I lost the artillery shell I was carrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History