Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 04:26 PM

157 posts, read 192,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It sums up your ignorance of history. There is no comparison to the acts that Hitler (and the Japanese Army) did to occupied provinces and surrendered people trying to reclaim peace vs. what an atomic bombing did to a nation still engaged in total war.
I like how you left out the part where I wrote about Americas tainted past, not just America dropping bombs and killing innocent Japanese people.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:31 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
Tainted past? Reminds me of the dialogue from The Third Man when considering the incredible violence and duplicity of Renaissance Italy but of course it also gave us Michelangelo and Da Vinci. Whereas comparatively calm and peaceful Switzerland gave us the cuckoo clock.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:31 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForAChange View Post
I like how you left out the part where I wrote about Americas tainted past, not just America dropping bombs and killing innocent Japanese people.
You only gave one example, why should I we go into every different subject, then the thread would spin out of control (and it's already seen a lot of moderation). Start another thread on what concerns you. The sins of America's past are a common and popular topic in this forum.
The atomic bomb has already been the subject of previous threads with very deep historical-based discussions pro and con, it would probably be over your head. You would be out of your depth.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You only gave one example, why should I we go into every different subject, then the thread would spin out of control (and it's already seen a lot of moderation). Start another thread on what concerns you. The sins of America's past are a common and popular topic in this forum.
The atomic bomb has already been the subject of previous threads with very deep historical-based discussions pro and con, it would probably be over your head. You would be out of your depth.
I realize that I'm probably going back and forth with a person of West European descent and since this thread is spiraling into a discussion of morality, it's not I but you who's wading in water that's too deep. I made a decision not too long ago not to engage in discussions concerning morality with people of West European descent, there's just no point.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:53 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,202,657 times
Quote:
Too bad your concern doesn't extend to the innocent Chinese and Korean people whom the Japanese murdered and enslaved.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:54 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
I realize that I'm probably going back and forth with a person of West European descent and since this thread is spiraling into a discussion of morality, it's not I but you who's wading in water that's too deep. I made a decision not too long ago not to engage in discussions concerning morality with people of West European descent, there's just no point.
HAHAHA...wow. Replace your "West European descent" with "African American" and see how it comes across. Perhaps this forum is just not for you. There are alternatives. Good luck in your discussions.
My mother was born in Poland by the way.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
What's moral about butchering 6 million Jews? Or don't Jews count any more than Chinese or Koreans?

Old 02-10-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Too bad your concern doesn't extend to the innocent Chinese and Korean people whom the Japanese murdered and enslaved.
At the end of the day you're going to believe whichever version makes you feel better about yourself and your people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
What's moral about butchering 6 million Jews? Or don't Jews count any more than Chinese or Koreans?
There's nothing moral about that, who said that there was? That's still a smaller number than the 14+ million African slaves that your people stole, bought, and otherwise acquired from Africa.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:29 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Default Its not just westerners.....

Quote:
That's the western/Americanized version of why it occurred. But what I'm looking for is the actual reason, not reasons coming from someone who wants to put all the blame on Germany and Japan.
Ok, you keep talking about the western/Americanized version or the "Western European" version of WW2. So if you do not trust the Western view of WW2, then why not simply look into how Easterners feel about the Axis powers and WW2???

Check out how Easterners, like the Russians, view Nazi Germany. Or check out how the Chinese and Koreans view Japan's role in WW2.

Old 02-11-2015, 06:49 AM

Quote:
There's nothing moral about that, who said that there was? That's still a smaller number than the 14+ million African slaves that your people stole, bought, and otherwise acquired from Africa.
So what? This thread is not about the African slave trade. If you want to talk about that, then start another thread.

Moreover, the African slave trade happened in an era in which so-called civilized people regularly murdered and enslaved their own people. The late fifteenth through the eighteenth centuries, which includes most of the years of the African slave trade, saw the Spanish Inquisition; the expulsion of the Jews and Moors from Spain; Cromwell's attempt to kill off the Irish Catholic population; witch trials in both Britain and its American colonies; the practice of enslaving/indenturing criminals, people in debt, political activists, orphans, etc and sending them off to the American colonies; and the mass executions during the Reign of Terror during the French Revolution.

There were many more examples large and small of the brutality of that era, but I'm not going to list them, and that's not even touching on what Asians were doing to other Asians -- or what Africans were doing to other Africans. Oh, did Farrakhan and Muhammad forget to mention that there could have been no African slave trade without the complicity of Africans who not only allowed Europeans to establish trading posts on their lands but also waged war on other Africans in order to secure human trade goods?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History