Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 09:29 AM

9,191 posts, read 13,294,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForAChange View Post
I've been doing a lot of research on WWII lately and I can't exactly figure out WHY the Allied and Axis powers couldn't come to a reasonable and peaceful compromise before so much bloodshed took place. What is your understanding and viewpoint on why war had to commence and why so many countries had to get involved?
The WHY is unfortunately simple. Appeasement did not work. The 3 major Axis powers; Germany, Japan and Italy would not be stopped short of war.

The Allies tried to be "reasonable" and appease the Axis powers. The Axis powers took it as a sign of weakness on the part of the Allies. Early conquests by the Axis powers; the Japanese invasion of Manchuria, the Italian invasion of Ethiopia, the German annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland, were allowed in the name of the peace.

When the Axis kept looking for more conquests; the Japanese invaded China in 1937, the Italian invasion of Albania, the Germans gobbling up the rest of Czechoslovakia and began to threaten Poland, the Allies finally realized there would be no peace.

Appeasement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-08-2015, 10:34 AM

157 posts, read 192,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Yes. I want to break out into the Internationale during the airings. That or the Panzerlied.
Wow, this documentary was excellent . THANKS!!

Old 02-08-2015, 10:56 AM

477 posts, read 510,784 times
Quote:
I've been listening to pure and unbiased views from people such as Khalid Muhammad and Louis Farrakhan. All I'm saying is the U.S./West has a long history of trying to elevate their own importance, demonize others, and paint themselves as saints. So forgive me if I take a lot what I read from Americans with a grain of salt.
Your readings from Khalid Muhammad and Louis Farrakhan are not "pure and unbiased", not by a long shot. Neither man is a historian, or even close to one. Both have specific political and religious aims, which they aggressively pursue. NO ONE has a "pure and unbiased" view, and your characterization of two men whose espoused views are exactly the opposite of that shows your own extreme bias.

Talk about demonizing others and painting themselves as saints, LOL!

IF you are really interested in understanding WWII, of which at this point I am skeptical, try reading A World at Arms: A Global History of World War II by Gerhard L. Weinberg

It is dry dry dry but EXTREMELY well researched and supported. It is also very looooong. If you actually read it, it'll be awhile before you're back here with questions.

For the Pacific Theater, we usually lump that in with the WWII, but in truth that was an ongoing conflict between Japan and most of the rest of Asia, but specifically China, which started well before the war in Europe. It is called the Second Sino-Japanese War - the first having occurred in 1894.

Officially the dates for the 2nd Sino-Japanese war are 1937-1945. But to my way of thinking it REALLY started in 1931 when the Japanese invaded Manchuria. That "officially" ended in 1932, but the Japanese did not leave the area and conflict was ongoing in the form of rebellions and guerrilla activity against the puppet government they set up there. Basically the Japanese had been fighting a war in China for 10 years before they bombed Pearl Harbor.

I don't know what they were thinking, to go and start a war on two fronts - except I think by this time the generals and their military junta that were in charge had started drinking their own Koolaid, and had begun to believe, at some level, that they really WERE the kind of supermen who could pull this off.

When the Japanese invaded China (again) in 1937, the Russians ALSO invaded. I don't know if that was somehow coordinated or not, but it did leave China - who was not at all in any kind of shape for a war on one front, let alone two, being still in turmoil from their own civil war - fighting a war on two fronts.

I don't know of one book that completely covers the political aspects, roots, and consequences of this conflict - maybe reading histories of China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam specific to the time frame starting about 1850 might be your best bet. You basically had two very insular societies - Japan, who only agreed to trade with the West at cannon-point, and which was based on and still strongly influenced by the feudal Samurai culture - and China, long under the influence of various forms of Confucianism, with a bureaucracy grown stratified and rigid over the centuries and a culture that, for all its richness, strikes me as stultified and restricted.

Both cultures viewed themselves as the center of the world, and had done for centuries. Both had been in conflict for hundreds of years, with various incursions by one against the other, and against their neighbors. If you really want to understand the roots of conflict in the region that lead to Japan's involvement in WWII, you have a LOT of reading to do.

Some books that will give you a detailed look at some specific parts of the Second Sino-Japanese war include

• Rays of the Rising Sun, Volume 1: Japan's Asian Allies 1931-45, China and Manchukuo by Philip Jowett
  • The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang
  • The Rising Sun: The Decline & Fall of the Japanese Empire, 1936-45 by John Willard Toland
  • The Nanking Atrocity, 1937-38: Complicating the Picture edited by Bob Tadashi Wakabayashi
  • Historiographical Essay: The China-Japan War, 1931-1945
    Author(s): David M. GordonSource: The Journal of Military History, Vol. 70, No. 1 (Jan., 2006), pp. 137-182
  • Flags of Our Fathers by James D. Bradley
I wonder if you are actually interested in understanding the roots of WWII so much as you are in having your preconceived notions confirmed. I wonder if you are open-minded enough to do some actual reading outside of Nation of Islam propaganda.

Your religious and even political views are yours to have and to hold; but if you want to know about a subject, you don't go to religious or political leaders to learn about it. You ESPECIALLY don't go to religio-political leaders who have an agenda and a drum to beat. You go to outside sources.

In the case of trying to understand the roots of WWII, you turn to both history and personal accounts. There are going to be conflicts, if you read widely enough. There are always conflicts - that is what starts wars to begin with. That is the condition of being human.

The condition of being human is also to struggle against these conflicts and to try to reach a true understanding of other human beings. This cannot be done without compassion and trust, and it cannot be done by restricting yourself to one point of view that has an agenda to push - an agenda that springs from a history of abuse and racism and is burdened by that truth, but has not - yet - managed to overcome that burden so that it may look outside of itself with compassion and trust on the rest of the human beings who co-occupy this planet. That kind of anger overshadows compassion and destroys trust. However empowering that kind of anger may feel, and however justified its roots may be, it destroys the ability to move forward and take true power over one's condition.

I, as a Buddhist, look to Buddhist leaders when I have questions about life, ethics, morality, and the human condition, and how I can fit into the world and become a builder of society and relationships.

But when I want to know about history or how things are in the world, I do not go to Thich Nhat Hanh or the Dalai Lama or Pema Chodron to learn those things. I go to historians and others who study and interpret society and I read or hear what they have to say; I look for the accounts of people who lived through those times; and I do this through the lens of understanding that people can be telling the truth without full understanding; that people have different points of view which may conflict, and still be telling THEIR truth. I can take in Thich Nhat Hanh's experiences of the Vietnam War without thinking he has the whole, unvarnished, unbiased truth, and that anyone in conflict with his experiences must be a devil of a liar.

If you want to understand, that is a hard and long path, and you will never ever reach the end of it. But it is my belief that it is the most thrilling journey a human being can take, and it NEVER ENDS!

But if all you want to do is have your preconceptions confirmed - well, then you're not going to take that first step on the path to understanding. Maybe you're not ready for it. At least, not yet.

Heck, maybe I am misunderstanding your motivations for starting this thread. It's not like someone died and left me a perfect understanding of every living human being.

Either way, I wish you well on your journey.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:04 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,632,322 times
Quote:
I've been listening to pure and unbiased views from people such as Khalid Muhammad and Louis Farrakhan. All I'm saying is the U.S./West has a long history of trying to elevate their own importance, demonize others, and paint themselves as saints. So forgive me if I take a lot what I read from Americans with a grain of salt.
I get it, you are kidding us, right? Or else you don't know that Harold Moore Jr. and Louis Eugene Wolcott were both born and raised as Americans? I'm not sure which answer is the most sad...

Old 02-08-2015, 11:09 AM

17,665 posts, read 17,810,927 times
Quote:
You're listening to the wrong people.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:23 AM

17,665 posts, read 17,810,927 times
For war to be avoided, both sides have to want peace. Hitler wanted to not only reunite Germanic people's, he also wanted to exterminate those considered inferior (physical/mental disabilities, Jews, blacks, gypsies, etc) and exact revenge for Germany's defeat in WW 1, a war Hitler served in as an enlisted soldier. Mussolini wanted to bring back the Roman empire with him as emperor but he needed Germany's muscle to back him. Japan was as bad or worse than Germany in how they treated China and the Pacific island peoples. The Raping of Nan King is just one example because it was recorded and verified by an American priest and a member of the German Nazi Party who witnessed the events and tried to save as many as they could and are still regarded as heroes there even today. When Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, Japanese diplomats were in DC in peace talks.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:05 PM

15,017 posts, read 12,228,733 times
Quote:
And yet you'll swallow the "pure and unbiased" (LOLOLOLOL!!!!) views of rabid anti-semitic/anti-imperialists such as Farrakhan and Khalid Mohammed with nary a critical thought on your part or any attempt to analyze or put into context their stated views. I'm sure with this perspective you wouldn't care to be confused by the facts presented by those who have actually studied the events or the history of WWII, so I guess you'll just have to be satisfied with whatever it is that you and your anti-west buddies can conjure up regarding the US/west's innate evil nature being responsible for the events of WWII.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:08 PM

25,652 posts, read 17,402,104 times
Quote:
I've been doing a lot of research on WWII lately and I can't exactly figure out WHY the Allied and Axis powers couldn't come to a reasonable and peaceful compromise before so much bloodshed took place. What is your understanding and viewpoint on why war had to commence and why so many countries had to get involved?
Because you can't negotiate with terrorists. Nor can you negotiate with an army who feels perfectly comfortable turning its guns loose on unarmed civilians.

Some things just have to be stomped flat.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:30 PM

157 posts, read 192,787 times
OK, I see that I will probably have to put this thread down based on what I've heard. I'm not surprised with this being a majority west based community. Most of what is taught in schools about world history is pure westernized biased, dishonest, slanted, westernized garbage that's designed to make people of Anglo origins look like saints.

That's why I'm proactively seeking unbiased views and facts. Even if Germany was trying to expand and conquer it's surrounding countries, what business did European Americans have interfering with them and what moral ground did Europeans Americans have to stand on in trying to stop them? Since much of West European/American history has them doing the exact same thing... I'm more interested in knowing why so many countries got involved by the time it was all said and done.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:08 PM

477 posts, read 510,784 times
Quote:
OK, I see that I will probably have to put this thread down based on what I've heard. I'm not surprised with this being a majority west based community. Most of what is taught in schools about world history is pure westernized biased, dishonest, slanted, westernized garbage that's designed to make people of Anglo origins look like saints.

That's why I'm proactively seeking unbiased views and facts. Even if Germany was trying to expand and conquer it's surrounding countries, what business did European Americans have interfering with them and what moral ground did Europeans Americans have to stand on in trying to stop them? Since much of West European/American history has them doing the exact same thing... I'm more interested in knowing why so many countries got involved by the time it was all said and done.
Your mind is closed. I am sad for you. You have already had the answers to these questions, and in your heart you must know that standing by while the strong abuse the weak is the wrong thing to do, in any cultural milieu.

You do not seem to see the inherent inconsistency in your own declarations above. You are complaining about Western-centric bias allegedly trying to make "people of Anglo origins look like saints" - when all the people involved in the particular portion of the conflict you are (not really) interested in learning more about were Anglos! ALL of them!

Sure, Roosevelt was an Anglo. So were Hitler, Mussolini, and Churchill. So were most of the civilians living in areas affected by the conflict. So were most of the soldiers. That's kind of determined by the geography of the place. It's a little silly to accuse a group of demonizing THEMSELVES.

The reason so many countries got involved was that Germany KEPT INVADING THEM.

Read the actual history. Or, remain ignorant and in thrall to people who will only tell you what they want you to hear. It is your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History