Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 01:58 PM

211 posts, read 979,145 times

Advertisements

Ken and My54Ford . .

Great explanations on the Rommel commentary!

Love reading about WWII, Rommel, Patton and others. I must admit . . . it gets overwhelming at times (so much information).

~ Cleveburg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 02:00 PM

By the way . . . anyone read Military History Quarterly? They had a big issue several months ago on Rommel, and I found it fascinating.

Opinions on accuracy of read?

Old 01-14-2008, 02:14 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,334,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
By the way . . . anyone read Military History Quarterly? They had a big issue several months ago on Rommel, and I found it fascinating.

Opinions on accuracy of read?
Use to read it but have not done so for many years (no particular reason - it's a good magazine and generally accurate as far as I can tell).

Ken

Old 01-14-2008, 04:10 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:
Ken and My54Ford . .

Great explanations on the Rommel commentary!

Love reading about WWII, Rommel, Patton and others. I must admit . . . it gets overwhelming at times (so much information).

~ Cleveburg
Thank you sir... I normally don't study the big players of the War but I am very interested in stories of the normal everyday guy in the trenchs. My faimly actually reenact WW2 German and we have been fortunate to meet many many veterans of the WH and a few former SS men. We have been invited to attend a reunion of The Grossdeustchland PzG this summer and will hopefully be able to attend!!!!!

If you are interested here is a link to my reenacting group website...
gdtrains.net

Old 01-14-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Thank you sir... I normally don't study the big players of the War but I am very interested in stories of the normal everyday guy in the trenchs. My faimly actually reenact WW2 German and we have been fortunate to meet many many veterans of the WH and a few former SS men. We have been invited to attend a reunion of The Grossdeustchland PzG this summer and will hopefully be able to attend!!!!!

If you are interested here is a link to my reenacting group website...
gdtrains.net

I'm a "Miss ". . . . Did I shock the hell out of ya? Most men are.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I'm a "Miss ". . . . Did I shock the hell out of ya? Most men are.
Not at all! I know lots of gals that are history buffs! Good for you!

Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Not at all! I know lots of gals that are history buffs! Good for you!
That's good to know! I don't know to many women that are into history, especially WWII and Vietnam (my interests).

Old 01-15-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
That's good to know! I don't know to many women that are into history, especially WWII and Vietnam (my interests).
I know a number of women who reenact WW2, AT an event last year ther were even a bunch of gals dressed in AAL baseball uniforms from the 40's! very cool!

Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I know a number of women who reenact WW2, AT an event last year ther were even a bunch of gals dressed in AAL baseball uniforms from the 40's! very cool!
That is very neat!

Old 01-24-2009, 02:48 PM

296 posts, read 1,183,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Actually the beginning of Rommel's defeat started at El Alamein - where he was stopped by a much larger force under Montegomery. The force which REALLY defeated the Germans in North Africa was the aircraft stationed on the island of Malta. This unsinkable aircraft carrier decimated the German and Italian supply convoys, result in a constant shortage of supplies, ammunition, reinforcements etc. The fact that Malta was never taken was the true undoing of the Axis in North Africa. By the time the Americans landed in Western North Africa Rommel was already in retreat across the Libyan desert.

One of the reasons I admire Rommel so much inspite of his being on the losing side, is that (like Robert E Lee 80 years earlier) he was almost always outnumbered and achieved many impressive victories anyway. It's always a whole lot easier to win when you have numerical superiority.

Ken
This is true. Besides Malta, the German High Command failed to deliver on promises for men and supplies. Rommel's win at Gazala was his high point.

El Alamein was never going to be a German victory because:

A. Montgomery had had time to overload on troops and tanks.

B. the 8th Army's supply line was very short while Rommel's was both very long and basically non-existent at that point. and

C. Rommel had lost most of his fighting force earlier with his offensive win at Gazala and it was never replaced.

Rommel knew he faced a loss and tried to take the offensive at Alam el Halfa but didn't have the firepower.

I have no doubt that Rommel was by far technically the best general of the three mentioned. He was tactically superior to all the Brits that faced him, even Montgomery, and was far more sophisticated strategically than Patton.

Even after the bad defeat at El Alamein the Brits didn't press the initiative and what was left of his divisions gave a fighting retreat 1000+ miles all the way to Tunisia. Another dumb mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History