Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 11:58 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,175,185 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good book on WWI? I'm especially interested in events that lead up to the conflict. I know Barbara Tuchman has written a book on the subject but I'm looking for something a bit shorter and less detail oriented. I would also prefer something more recent. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 12:04 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,842,681 times
Myriad Faces of War by Trevor Wilson is in my opinion the best single volume on the war.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Myriad-Fac.../dp/0571273041

Old 03-23-2015, 03:39 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
If you are interested in the first year, then 1914 by Max Hastings is a good lecture.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:16 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
I would offer up that Dreadnought by Robert Massie is superb in that regard.

Kaiser Wilhelm blundered by building a large navy. There was no strategic reason for doing so, yet it completely alienated the British. Mind you, the Brits saw their navy as essential to national survival and therefore saw the Kaiser's building program as an existential threat. So the Brits slowly came to realize that their national interests lay with France and Russia, two powers that were heretofore geopolitical rivals.

Really an interesting story. The theory of Conservation of Enemies has never been better illustrated.

His sequel, Castles of the Sea, also does an excellent job of covering naval operations in World War I.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:21 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
I would offer up that Dreadnought by Robert Massie is superb in that regard.

Kaiser Wilhelm blundered by building a large navy. There was no strategic reason for doing so, yet it completely alienated the British. Mind you, the Brits saw their navy as essential to national survival and therefore saw the Kaiser's building program as an existential threat. So the Brits slowly came to realize that their national interests lay with France and Russia, two powers that were heretofore geopolitical rivals.

Really an interesting story. The theory of Conservation of Enemies has never been better illustrated.

His sequel, Castles of the Sea, also does an excellent job of covering naval operations in World War I.
Both excellent books, I have them both.

Another interesting WW1 book is "Myth of the Great War" by John Mosier. This book goes into detail how the Central Powers, especially the Germans, generally fought the war much better then the Allies. It tries to explain how the Central Powers despite being outnumbered and cutoff from supplies from the outside world, managed to keep fighting for so long.

A good general history of WW1 I read is "The Story of the Great War 1914 to 1918" by G. J. Meyer.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 2,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Can anyone recommend a good book on WWI? I'm especially interested in events that lead up to the conflict. I know Barbara Tuchman has written a book on the subject but I'm looking for something a bit shorter and less detail oriented. I would also prefer something more recent. Thanks in advance.
There are so many documentaries and publications today on Youtube and Google to the point one wonders whether a book would bring up any other original finding.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:30 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,174,809 times
Eden to Armageddon is a great look at WWI against the Ottomans. I never knew how close the Allies came to knocking the Ottomans out of the war early on, and how much their failure to do so was simply a choice to do so.

While ending a decade or so before WWI, The Ottoman Gulf is a look at how much the Ottoman Empire at the start of WWI existed mostly on paper and in the imagination of people in charge of the Great Powers. As far as I know this is the only book English language book that looks at this area and period in time through Ottoman archives and not British.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:35 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,174,809 times
Similarly, while focused on roughly a thousand years of history, the last few chapters of Danubia looks at the collapse of Austria-Hungary and how far in the past its seeds had been sewn as well as how Franz Ferdinand had identified and planned to rectify these weaknesses. I'm not sure his fabricated civil war would have allowed him to gut Hungarian power to the extent he needed to really strengthen the empire, but it was certainly creative thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History