Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 01:07 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,156,615 times

Advertisements

Better than just chatting with Jesus, who may turn out to be some mystic full of incomprehensible hooey, would be to get the chance to interview Romans and non disciple Jews who witnessed the life of Jesus. The only history we have of Jesus are the writings of his cult followers.

If all we knew of Charles Manson was what we were told by his zombie apostles, what would we actually know about Manson?

Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM

15 posts, read 27,858 times
Default the spirit in the sky

Thank you, most genuinely for your response. I should have anticipated a measure of challenge. So, now we attempt to answer such a question as people generally have thier minds made up when they go ask. Those are the hardest, right? If I explain my deep spiritual convitions, will you understand why I would not have judge him "hooey"? Will you respect my anwered prayers of 30 yrs. Like .."Code Blue, Floor 11"... "Please, our Lord, not now"..."cancel Code Blue". Or would you name it superstition?

You know how it is when you have a friend ? You just know what your friend would think, even tho you live in a long distance away? That is because you have known him so long? Has your friend never offered his blood for your's , which was tainted because you were born w/a congenital disease that leads to death? It's called Basal Genesis Sinitis and it leads to a horribly endless death, yet he voluntarily steps upon a tree and dies and slow death.. What's more, his whole life he has purposed to live according to thousands of rigid rules for the ingredients, in correct dose written down by hundreds of prohets.

Your friend was a brave man, with deep love...["Jesus cried"]. He was not superman. Your friend was so full of anxiety that he sweated blood and asked Our Father to ["Please find another {way},"cup" { of the medicine ;
blood that made just the right amount of law and experience and spirit and bloodline.. Man, I could go on and on, about your friend. Do you know that your friend friend knew that even though He coud cure you from death, that you would have to turn to Him everyday, because you will always have some symptom of the disease lurking just under the surface. And that you would have to be still and remember the warm blood of Christ and what all it took, so He can save you when you are about to fall..

Two thousand years ago The Son of God was born in obscure land and walked between 250-300 miles with a handful of disciples and followers and from these humble beginnings comes a virgin born baby, baptised by John. Crucified over 2000 years, He can still touch your heart and make your heart feel warm ; drawing inexplicabily home. Cause you are home and He is alive in you! And he makes us FEEL this wonderful way.. ,if we ask.

Now, you all have the truth about that, so we will no longer bring it up as topic of the discussion.

As for Paris and great "American Literature" that was being permanently inked on the dampened paper, and all the similar goings on.. i do , of course realize the duality in my fascinations...Although, of course, if i had to "chose", it will be eternity.. but, i have contradictions like all people.

Earlier, i wrote for about 30 minutes in reply where, i thoroghly explained the things I would like to know about the inter- war period and, being i know a little myself, i shared it, hoping, he would return some more info.

I am new here and am findin the hardest time gettin around and i can't believe i lost a lovely thirty minute response to my reasons for wanting to come upon the expatriets in thier more natural than home habitat.. i will try to verify if my reply to his reply did not get deleted.. if so, i'll try again. Again, i thank you very much. glad to have the tough one out of the way...g'nite kind and gentle people!

Old 08-13-2009, 11:05 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,156,615 times
I'm hoping that this post does not generate another response such as above, but I would suggest that this is merely a matter of variance in purposes.

My motives for my investigations are those of the professional historian, above all else, I wish to learn the truth of matters, regardless of of how well or poorly it meets my existing expectations. You seem more interested in a journey of affirmation of your emotional rapture, as in thinking of your trip as a pilgrimage rather than social science.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:08 AM

1,392 posts, read 3,130,188 times
Jesus... to find out if he had siblings while growing up, what he was actually doing in his missing years from the bible and whether he was married or had a thing for Mary Magdalene.

Two women poets and founders of the confessional poetry movement both who commited suicide while leaving behind family and young children...

Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton, to find out out what was the final thing that brought of both them to the brink and why would they leave their small children behind to grow up without a mother and at the mercy of others.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:53 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,406,599 times
Reminder:: This Thread is " Which historical figures would you like to interview for an hour"
Let's not start getting into religion here. There is a Religion & Christianity Forum that might be more appropriate for that..
Thanks

Old 08-15-2009, 02:46 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,197,976 times
Good thread...so many folks already listed I'd like to talk to.
Rahter than repeat some that would be my choice, too, I'll add a couple--some would be just for fun...

1. Lewis and Clark--HOW did you ever make such a long multi-year trip, maintain military discipline, and return unscathed?
2. Custer--WHAT were you thinking!?
3. The two guys in charge of building Stonehenge and the Easter Island heads--"Um, so, what's it for?"
4. Erik the Red and Leif Erikson--"So, are you two really just a couple big ol' teddy bears?"

Old 08-21-2009, 03:15 PM

48 posts, read 197,642 times
Jesus Christ, Ronald Reagan, George Washinton and the other founding fathers, Martin Luther, Apostle Paul, Martin Luther King, Jr., Augustine, John Calvin, Napolean

Old 08-21-2009, 04:26 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,184,726 times
Michelangelo Buonarroti and Leonardo da Vinci, together, maybe throw in a Medici for sport.
Mary I and Elizabeth I
Nicholas II and family
Hans Christian Anderson
Edgar Allen Poe
Charles Manson, not so much that I'd like to talk to him, but I would have liked to been a fly on the wall for a day or two, to watch the svengali in action. To see what attracted so many people to him.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:30 PM

754 posts, read 1,924,024 times
Other than Jesus

Alexander the Great
Thomas Jefferson (ask him if US citizens should have guns)
Michelangelo (I just can't believe his abilities and if the Pope didn't have him busy so much, he may have contributed just as much to science as Leonardo)
Jeb Stuart (conferderate calvary general)

Stonehenge engineer - (the obvious reason)
An Incan and Aztec High Priest - (obvious reason)
And any engineer on the Pyramids

Last edited by 1984vt; 08-21-2009 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 08-21-2009, 04:34 PM

13,584 posts, read 15,682,331 times
I'd interview Caligula, as long as I could be guaranteed he wouldn't try to have me assasinated for asking a question he didn't like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History