Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 4,754 times

Advertisements

hi

could anyone help me here. i must study for my history exam in 2 weeks, but i can never study trough the books, i get bored, but if i watch some documentaries i really keep all the information so i was wondering if you could tell me some good documentaries about this subjects:

pre world war I and the causes that lead to it;
pos world war I and the consequences;
the crash of the USA market and the crisis all over the world;
pre world war II and the causes that lead to it;
pos world war II and the consequences;
formation of the European Union;
Cold War, reasons that lead to it, and the cold war itself;
Economical crisis of the 70s;
Descolonization;
Fascism;
Conflits in the Middle East between palestinian and judaic.

i think that's it. if anyone could help i would apreciate it ery much =D
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
Put away the ipod, turn on the computer, learn to concentrate and read your damned assignments.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:57 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Just take your textbooks, substitute them for your pillow when you go to bed, and you will absorb all the knowledge during the night via osmosis.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:21 PM

wise guys hein? i don't see why studying via documentarys is wrong and reading some papers is right. i have no ipod nor any apple related gizmos. i read a lot, but there's some subjects that are not that interesting and it's a bit more hard to focus on them. i don't see were's the problem on watching some videos that explain what i need to know

Old 07-08-2010, 06:40 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Well, pythium, I think you have just received some very valuable help...and here is another site that may help you out...Dictionary and Thesaurus - Merriam-Webster Online

Old 07-08-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythium View Post
i don't see why studying via documentarys is wrong and reading some papers is right.
Well that is fairly obvious, so let me step in for your professor to explain a few academic facts of life.

Unless you study the course material laid out in your class lectures or reading assignments you will, or should, fail. A properly designed examination, will ask you questions phrased in such a manner as to glean your knowledge of the assigned material.

Secondly, no documentary, with only a few exceptions, could possibly cover the subject matter that you have described within the time constraints that film makers are confronted with. In the case of those exceptional documentaries such as "The First World War" (500 minutes), "The World At War" (1352 minutes) the ability to address any particular issue will be about the length of a decent wiki article.

Thirdly, and most importantly, an education is about learning discipline, not short cuts. It is about doing the work assigned in a timely manner. By looking for easy ways out, you are not learning the important skills needed to be successful in any future endeavor. For example, by not learning to concentrate on reading, on some future job you will think that some training film will suffice for an in depth reading of the technical manuals for your job, where those little tidbits hidden in long sentences can spell the difference between success or utter failure.

So, do your self a favor, and learn how to learn.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:45 AM

first, there's not only one method of learning so you can't say i'm doin it wrong. i don't want to learn everything i need for the exam just by watching the films, i will read all the papers too, but if i can watch a movie that helps... don't tell me your teacher never showed you a bit of some documentary or something like that, to help you understand and keep focus on the subject.

thyra why would i need a english-spanish dictionary?

Old 07-08-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:
i will read all the papers too, but if i can watch a movie that helps... don't tell me your teacher never showed you a bit of some documentary or something like that, to help you understand and keep focus on the subject.
That is not what you originally wrote.
"i must study for my history exam in 2 weeks, but i can never study trough the books, i get bored, but if i watch some documentaries i really keep all the information so i was wondering if you could tell me some good documentaries about this subjects:"
If watching a documentary helps to supplement your class work, that is a whole other issue than the one that you originally stated.

I have to go but perhaps later I can give you some help. But by then, and with your clarification, perhaps others will help you out in the mean time.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:59 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
first, there's not only one method of learning so you can't say i'm doin it wrong.
You haven't, as far as I can see, stated what your objective is. And this matters.

For example: if your goal is to achieve a passing grade and you have no real interest in the subject, that's one thing. And if your instructor is undemanding and inclined to give examinations based on very general themes, calling for little in-depth knowledge or analysis in your responses, then you might do quite well just by watching a documentaries on the subject.

Even if that is your goal, but your instructor expects the students that he gives a passing grade to to have a grasp of the course content sufficient to discuss most of its aspects with an appreciation for the subtlies and complexity of the issues involved; then you will be dead meat relying on documentaries, of course.

On the other hand, if you are interested in having an in-depth understanding and appreciation of the course material I can only say that Ovcatto's last comments are right on the dime.

Quote:
i don't want to learn everything i need for the exam just by watching the films, i will read all the papers too, but if i can watch a movie that helps... don't tell me your teacher never showed you a bit of some documentary or something like that, to help you understand and keep focus on the subject.
I would only add that approaching education through all of those boring books is not only an education in particular academic course work, but an education in dealing with complexity, contradictions, evaluation, logical argumentation, etc. This latter aspect is about you, and who you are becoming rather than about the content of any particular course, which was also Ovcatto's final point.

Aside from archival material, most documentaries are as much entertainment as anything else.

Of course, the idea that one should be entertained by education has no end of supporters, most of whom strike me has having acquired their own "educations" through entertainment.....
[/quote]

Old 07-08-2010, 10:56 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
When I was in college I seldom read the book. I'd scan it and take very precise notes. I remember by ear rather than from a textbook. Don't ignore your books, but scan through, looking at the things that are emphasised. Maybe write out the answers to the questions at the end of the chapter. If you have notes from lecture study them closely. Tests usually emphasise what the teacher thinks is interesting and important enough to talk about.

But the best suggestion I have documentary wise, is World at War. It's rather stark. Origional photos and a lot less talk. But it was also produced much closer to the time so you get less of the "interpretative" history that some series provide. And there are two episodes you must see. One is "Occupation" about Denmark, and "Genocide". Stark and straightforward, they carry the message of what this war did to people better than anything I've ever seen. The early episodes also are very good in terms of *why* Europeans reacted as they did to Hitler at first, for their reasons were largely from a different time and a different war. But it tells you about that world.

Remember also there is a difference in studying history and studing history to pass a test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History