Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times

Advertisements

I was probably the only adult in America that never saw the televised attacks. I was probably also the only adult in America that didn't know the full scope of the attacks until a bit over a week later. I remember hearing a news broadcast on the radio while I was in my barn feeding the livestock. Sounded serious, but what doesn't when it is "breaking news."

I was on vacation that week. I don't subscribe to any newspaper and didn't have a televison - quite by choice. My idea of "vacationing" is staying home on the farm.

When my vacation was over, the bombardment of the repeated showings on television had ceased. So I never actually saw the images that everyone else saw a few too many times, for their taste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 07:14 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I sat glued infront of our TV. For hours and hours. I cried!!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:18 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
My mom called me and said that a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center buildings, I turned the TV on and saw the north tower on fire, and watched for a couple of minutes, and like the majority of people, I thought it was an accident. I went into the kitchen to make coffee, and when I came back to the living room, the second plane had already hit. I wasn't sure what was going on but when I saw the replays of the United Airlines plane hitting the south tower, I thought this can't be an accident, something sinister is going on. I just kept watching as the rest of the events unfolded and took the day off from work.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:01 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
The night before 9/11 I was in Invesco Field for the Denver Bronco/New York Giant Monday Night game. Didn't get home until close to midnight. The only thing going through my mind at the time was Bronco wide receiver's Ed McCaffrey leg broken in three places. Woke up, turned on the Today show and two minutes afterward saw the second tower get hit. The New York Giant football club stayed in Denver until Thursday, I believe.I just sat and looked at the TV. Stunned .

Old 01-26-2008, 07:44 PM

68 posts, read 261,087 times
I was in my living room with the TV on, but had it on mute while I was on the phone taking care of some business.....I glanced at it throughout my entire conversation and noticed alot of attention on a building with smoke bellowing out of it....after a while, I finished my business and was getting ready for work. My husband was on his way out of town for work and my daughter was in class (her senior year in high school)! I decided to turn the volume on and find out what the fuss was about! A couple of minutes after I turned the volume up and was just getting the idea of what happened, the second plane hit the other tower, right before my eyes...I couldn't believe what I was watching! I was glued to the TV at that point...searching for answers. As I tried frantically to reach my husband by cell phone, the report came that the Pentagon had also been hit....my knees gave out from under me and I sat on my floor trying desparately to reach my husband by our land phone.....all circuits were busy....no land phone and no cell phone...I was shaken beyond belief! My daughter called me from school and asked if what she was hearing was true....I was just glad to hear from her! It was a terrifying feeling.....eventually I made it to work, and my husband called me! That year my daughter's class decided NOT to take their Senior Trip....but, other than that, life went on as usual....

Old 01-26-2008, 08:22 PM

40 posts, read 83,348 times
Early in the morning,everybody was talking about the attack. Initially,I thought it was a joke but later I realized that it's ture. We talked a lot about it on that day.

Old 01-26-2008, 08:26 PM

3,567 posts, read 3,736,026 times
It was surreal - like a "War of the Worlds" thing....

Old 01-26-2008, 08:49 PM

2,766 posts, read 5,521,014 times
I was sleeping still and my hubby called me on his way to work saying put the TV on. We lived in CA so I didn't see it happen but I was so worried about my twin brother who worked in the pentigon at the time it was hours untill I heard from my niece that he was fine. I hope we never forget 9/11 but I am afraid some already have.

Old 01-26-2008, 09:05 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,918,236 times
9/11 is my bday. I was in Vegas with my husband coming home from spending 3 days there. We were on the elevator about 715ish(am) when I heard people talking about the WTC. I assumed they were talking about what happened in '93 so I ignored them. I went to buy my morning soda and the guy selling it was ashen faced asking if I had heard what happened. As we were leaving Vegas, we could see military planes flying (presumably from Edwards). At the time we got on the road, there was the one plane that they had no idea where it was or what was happening (the one that the passengers fought back, according to what has been said about Beamer et al)

We drove back to CA listening to what was transpiring on the radio. By the time we got home, all we could do was stare at the tv in complete shock.

J

Old 01-26-2008, 10:35 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
[quote=Luke81;2589854]There is a thread by buildings_and_bridges about what people did when Martin Luther King and Malcolm X were killed, but since I am too young for that I thought what did people do on 9/11? I remember it being strangely traumatizing, although I am european, and I can't even imagine ow it felt for an american. Wha did you do on September 11th 2001. How did you hear about the attacks? What did you feel?

Started a new job that day. Heard about it at work. Thought people were joking. The WTC had been attacked before, but never in this way. Wondered why the planes were allowed to strike buildings before being shot down by our military.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History