Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 10:30 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How Quickly Could Today's U.S. Military Defeat WWII Germany?

30 minutes.

That's the light time of ballistic missiles.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 11:54 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
We can't even stop the ever powerful ISIS!
It is not that you "can't", it's that you don't want to, it's quite different.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:22 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,329,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
The most efficient way of taking down Nazi Germany at its height in 1941 assuming one has the US Forces of 2015. Is very simple. Issue a demarche ordering Germany to withdraw...
I read an interesting point on another site about this. In 1941 what would the Nazis have done to justify this form of all out war, using nuclear weapons no less? German Jews were being persecuted but we are still a year out before mass deportation to the death camps. So basically you are waging such a war over the invasion of France, parts of Poland and Czechoslovakia.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I seriously doubt their flak would be effective on supersonic aircraft. They might get lucky and tag a few just by sheer chance, but their fire control would not be able to track fast enough or adjust to such a completely different generation of aircraft.
I don't recall reading that German air-defense weapons had the capability of tracking specific aircraft. What I do recall is that they would use passive radar to detect flights and then simply throw up a massive field of exploding shells saturating an area of fie around a target that planes would just have to fly through.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:34 PM

33 posts, read 23,514 times
"How Quickly Could Today's U.S. Military Defeat WWII German"

About 5 days.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:12 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,174,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I mean the leadership of that time had no qualms over killing MASSIVE numbers of enemy men, women or children or doing whatever it took to win and were not thinking ahead much... and our enemies would have done the same to us if they had the means to. I have no doubts that any one of the allies/axis would have murdered every last person in enemy nations if they thought it would win the war. Go back and watch US propaganda of the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Nxz7a7T5o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KymoxB6H9dU

I mean, seriously... all Japanese were fanatical human robots who worshiped the Emperor as a literal god and had minds 2000 years out of date? Germans may have looked normal on the surface but were all closet psychopaths hiding a genetic predisposition for war and mass-murder? (never mind that a very large proportion of Americans at the time were of Germanic heritage!) The hatred, the ignorance, racism and bigotry ran far deeper back then than it does today.

Yea, they would have done it.
You keep saying yes they would do this while ignoring the fact that none of them did.

Old 09-03-2015, 10:05 PM

424 posts, read 431,186 times
Quote:
Two scenarios.

Scenario 1: Britain allows us to set up bases and deploy from their shores. The Brits, however, provide no manpower, no raw materials, etc. We're completely on our own. Now let's assume Russia remains neutral so Germany doesn't have to worry about an invasion from the East. How long does it take for today's U.S. military to liberate Europe and defeat the German army?

Scenario 2: The U.S. thinks it's better to assemble a SEAL Team and bring Hitler back to America--dead or alive. Would they succeed?
Uh...do we have to choose one of those two scenarios? Because, though in either case we could defeat the WWII Nazi Wehrmacht with our current military in a matter of hours with both of those, they are not the swiftest or easiest.

We don't need GB to allow is to set-up on their shores. Why? Guess what? Our Navy--the finest by far in the history of the planet, of which I am a proud veteran of--has these things called Nuclear Submarines! To my more specific, we have fast-attack and Ballistic Missile Subs. The latter, SSBN's are called Boomers. (Of which I am also a veteran.)

Get this: ONE boomer has 24-32 Trident ICBM's on it. Now, EACH one of those ICBM's have six MIRV's on them, in the nose cone. A MIRV is a "multiple independent re-entry vehicle." Read: it's own nuclear bomb, more powerful than the one that leveled Hiroshima some 70 years ago.

The range of the current Trident ICBMs is about 2500 miles, if memory serves. So we could just park one of our Boomers in the middle of the North Atlantic and cut loose a few. Say, for starters, five: one for their five largest cities, including Berlin.

I think the red phone on Pennsylvania Avenue would be ringin' within minutes with a surrender plea.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Scenario 2: The U.S. thinks it's better to assemble a SEAL Team and bring Hitler back to America--dead or alive. Would they succeed?
I seriously doubt it, but it would make a great movie, we could call it Blackhawk Down or some such. Dude I don't care how many SEAL's, Delta Force, SAS or any other badasses you'd sent they would have to fight their way through Hitler's pretorian guard of fanatic and very well trained extremely disciplined members of the SS, backed with Panzers and other armor units. No, that's a non-starter. The parity in small weapons would be damn near the same, but that's about the only advantage they would have, and like I said it would be a slim one.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:17 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
Depends if your talking 1942-45 G or a Germany that had been allowed to develop until present. Really a Apples to oranges question. We if 1945 Germany would have been bombing Germany from jets they could reach immediately .Bombs would have easily taken out command and control. We would have actually done the precision bombing 8th air force planned then beyond anything they could have imaged. Our bombers would be fast than even their Me-262 developed.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:15 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
We can't even stop the ever powerful ISIS!
That's because we certainly haven't put out entire effort to this task, though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History