Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 11:54 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,601,843 times

Advertisements

I think I'd try and convince the US of a couple of things:

Don't arm Ho Chi Minh even if he is helping us fight the Japanese
Don't arm the French even if they are helping to fight Ho Chi Minh
Don't arm Manuel Noriega even if he is protecting the canal
Don't arm Osama bin Laden even if he is fighting the Russians
Don't arm Reza Pahlavi even if he is friendly for Persia/Iran towards the US
Don't arm Saddam Hussein to fight Iran after Reza is overthrown
Don't arm the Sandinistas even if they are supplying us with cocaine
Don't arm Stalin....who is the very reason for all of these cold war antics. Whose KGB caused us to empower a CIA.

Why are we arming the Afghans? Does anyone truly think they will be a loyal US ally once our troops are removed?

Why do we keep "helping" people by sending guns to dubious leaders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 12:33 PM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post

Linda_d, you can't kill Jesus because he always comes back 3 days later, you would have to kill him 245,280 times, and he would still be back on Saturday. Your mission is futile.

THIS!! LOL A simple pillow over baby Muhammads face would prevent the deaths of millions.

Old 04-27-2016, 01:24 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
LOL. Bigotry? Muhammad a holy man? He was a murdering, genocidal, raping , destructive war-lord that used god to justify his actions. Islam is a form of an oppressive government , cloaked in the name of religion. Removing him and his false teachings from history would save a lot lives. Jesus preached love, and forgiveness . A Complete opposite comparison.
Note the word 'followers'. Christans have no claim of benevolence in the actions of their followers any more than Islamic zelots do. The murders of pagan followers by horrific means like burning at the stake was not benevolent. And there were many other 'means' of dealing with those who did not follow the only allowed religion. Or just might not have, but were otherwise of no use. And as the specifics of religion intangled with politics, herisy could be based in being in the wrong faction and in someone else's way. You could get rid of people you needed to with acceptace that way, if they had become 'heritics'.

This doesn't even deal with the idea of this one true faith allowing you in your certainty to wipe out the followers of any other one, especially those who call themselves the true faith. Its been used to evict people from historic regions, kill them horribly, and claim its all okay because they aren't YOU, and since they don't follow your god your doing it all in his/her/it/them's name.

The followers of Islam were not doing anything different than the Christan warriors for their god had done. Jesus was only the symbolic name used to wave the flag.

If you could eliminate Jesus and Muhammad and a few others, would there just be some other symbolic prophet rise anyway who knew the only true way since following like sheep is also interwoven into humanity?

Old 04-27-2016, 01:32 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,330,522 times
I'm Selfish, I would go back and win one of the mega lottery's!

Old 04-27-2016, 02:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
I'm not sure how much I'd actually want to change, because doing so would likely mean that my present self would no longer exist. Heck, had my Dad not served in World War II, he would have gone straight to college in a completely different part of the country, which means he probably would have never met my mom, which means I wouldn't be typing this post. So, in a weird way, I'm awfully glad that Adolph Hitler was alive. Thanks, Fuhrer.

However, there are a million events I would like to witness, preferably with a video camera in hand to clear up the debate:

1) The Kennedy Assassination. Focus on the Grassy Knoll to solve this one once and for all.
2) The Passion of Christ. No explanation should be needed on this one. If it happened, it would shut the skeptics up. If it did happen, then all those zillion denominations would be forced to agree on a lot of spiritual matters.
3) Famous UFO/Bigfoot/Mothman sightings. Not just an HD video camera, but a drone as well.
4) The building of the Pyramids and the erection of the Easter Island statues.
5) Follow Jimmy Hoffa around on July 30, 1975, to see what happened to the guy.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:42 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Day 3 at Gettysburg (1863)

The Southern warriors in gray deserved a better fate.

And then the road straight to Washington DC to set terms for the north's surrender.
No, they certainly didn't.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:46 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
I would move all the Neanderthals to North America while they still had a healthy population.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydive Outlaw View Post
Day 3 at Gettysburg (1863)

The Southern warriors in gray deserved a better fate.

And then the road straight to Washington DC to set terms for the north's surrender.
The premise of the thread is that you have a time machine, but no other special powers were listed.

Which leaves me wondering....you get to Gettysburg on July 3rd, 1863....and do what? How would you alter what actually happened? The march on Washington notation suggests that you have engineered a southern victory at Gettysburg...so how did you do it?

Old 04-27-2016, 03:18 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,252,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
Take back the invention of the automobile. Its had a profoundly negative effect on the earth and humanity.
That's a big pile of horse manure.

Old 04-27-2016, 03:33 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,305,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
That's a big pile of horse manure.
Did you know there was no penalty for leaving a dead horse on the streets of most big cities? A horse could die in the traces and the teamster would cut it out of the harness and install another horse, or make the remaining horse(s) pull the load. Same with feces and urine, a heavy rain was the only mercy from that. Maggot-riddled corpses were eventually removed by the people who rendered dead horses for various products they could extract.

By comparison our smog problems are minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History