Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 09:05 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times

Advertisements

ooh!

ooh!

I have a better one!

What is instead of being killed, Reagan became a vengeful zombie committed to wiping out Hinkley, the FBI and the Secret Service?

Then, suppose he turned them all into fellow zombies and had them turned loose in the Kremlin.

Now, that would have resulted in some headlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:56 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,636,617 times
If Reagan had been killed:
There would have been no HUD scandal
Federal assistance to local governments would not be been slashed
Domestic programs that helped working class Americans would not have been cut;
Many urban schools would have not had to shut down;
We would not have so many homeless people (many of whom are war veterans)

Old 06-02-2016, 11:06 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
I've been watching the CNN 80s special about the Reagan years, and it mentioned how close the 1981 shooting was to a fatal wound. That would mean the country would suffer another presidential assassination in less than 20 years-- like another "9/11" in America by 2019.

Would an HW Bush presidency from 1981 resemble his term in 1989? What about the economy? Negotiations with the crumbling Soviet Union and other foreign policies? Society in absence of Reagan's influence, and another assassination hanging over the heads of Americans?
regardless of who was president at the time, we as humans always end up at the same place and problems. the details may have ended up different, but planet earth would still be in a state of chaos, wars, etc. the economy would have crashed and recovered several times too.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:02 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,599,236 times
We would have avoided the travesty that was Voodoo Economics i.e. supply-side economics. I don't think HW would has been quite as keen to crap on welfare recipients by making up his own "facts". HW wouldn't have had Alzheimer's while in office or made decisions based on astrology, which I have to imagine would've been a net benefit. I expect his foreign policy schemes would have been broadly comparable to Reagan's.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:37 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Love the kooky theories on what would or wouldn't have happened when in the 28 years since he left office, those things still haven't happened or are still happening.

Long story short.. We wind up in basically the same place, just with different players in the game.

GHWB.. Would he still have been a 1 term president? He would have gotten some love for taking over.. But.. The economy was just getting better in '84, and "Morning in America" really re-elected Reagan. Plus, Reagan's personality. I'd lean towards GWB not being re-elected, but.. Then again.. He would (in theory) be up against Mondale, who lost horribly.

You get 2 terms out of GHWB.. Who runs in '88? Probably whoever GHWB would have selected as VP. No opinion/thoughts on who that would have been.. But it wouldn't have been Quayle. So.. Whoever wins there.. Maybe they get 2 terms, and there's no Clinton presidency, at least not until '96.. Which could mean no Hillary running now.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:02 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
'Things would have been different.'
I do not wish death and assassination on any American president, but Reagan destroyed-unions and collective bargaining, and gutted the American middleclass. He also made racist comments "Welfare Queens" that did not help race relations in the US.

I wish he had never been president.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:42 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,299,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I think the deficit would be smaller. The elder Bush, despite his lack of charisma, had the fortitude to raise taxes when he thought the deficit was growing too large, despite his obvious lack of want.

The USSR was going to collapse at some point, it's just a matter of when. Who knows how many Sandinistas and Osama bin Laden's we'd have armed trying to do it though. The S&L crisis would have probably been more expensive.
I think he was very underrated as a President. He was a thinker, very well educated, willing and able to compromise, unfortunately he ran against Slick Willie and anyone would've lost that race.

Old 06-02-2016, 07:59 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I do not wish death and assassination on any American president, but Reagan destroyed-unions and collective bargaining, and gutted the American middleclass. He also made racist comments "Welfare Queens" that did not help race relations in the US.

I wish he had never been president.
the economy was in hell way before Reagan came, ask LBJ and Nixon.

The immoral and illegal war in Vietnam, Watergate and the year that s.o.b. Nixon took us off sound money (1971) that really killed the middle class.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royy moore View Post
We would never have had the economic melt downs due to the loosening of regulations.

We would never have bankrupted our country because of Reaguns wild military adventures.

There would have been a blossom of peace in Central America without reaguns henchmen like oliver north on the prowl.

The 300 marines blown up in Lebanon would still be alive.

Aids would have been solved as reagun wasted 8 years as a gift to evangelicals hate of gay people.

The challenger shuttle would not have blown up because of pressure to launch on a day that would freeze the silicon gaskets to a useless mess.

The media would not be able to run amok, Rush Limbo and Faux news would never have gotten a broadcast license if Reagun had not deleted the Fairness Doctrine that required a station to broadcasting opposing political view point.

College costs would have been subsidized as they were in the 60's much like primary education is today.

The lunacy that is religion would never have created false claim of religious freedom. A citizen that had a business would serve everyone. As it was back then.

Science would be far advanced, solar energy would have achieved its awaited promise of clean affordable energy, but Raygun dismantled a fledgling technology that today powers some nations in toto.

Thats just a sampling of the progress and promise we had before ronnie raygun raped the intellect of a once great nation.
but at least Reagan got rid of the UN lost treaty and refused to sign it.

and at least Reagan was not as war mongering as the rest of them.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:25 PM

H.W. Bush was a NWO aka new world order pawn, Reagan hated bush and didn't want to be associated with him, but he had no choice.

it was Bush sr that really ran America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History