Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 10:01 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times

Advertisements

I had a paper route when I was around 12 in the late 60's and I'm a female. It was an afternoon route after school and a morning route on the weekends. I had to go door to door and collect the money as well.

I didn't ride a bike for my route, I hauled the papers on a wagon. I remember hating rolling the papers. My brother had a route as well but decided that he didn't want to do it, so I got stuck doing his route for a while. That was a bit much.

I also baby sat on Saturday nights. For a young kid I had a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 10:02 AM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivias View Post
Back when Paperboys were still a thing why was it far more common to see boys doing it than girls? Seems like a girl could stand giving out papers or riding a bike delivering them as well as a boy could.
I I had a paper rout when I was a kid. I had to get up at 5am and deliver 2 large bags of papers on my BMX bike. I lived in an area that didn't snow, but we got a ton of rain. I was actually a pretty hard job for a jr high aged kid.

I'm sure there were girls that were capable of this job, but not too many. The chances of a girl quitting mid rout or just saying ef it one day would be considerably higher IMO. That's probably why the typically only hired boys for this job back then.

Now days, I see adults doing this job with a car. I haven't seen a kid on a bike doing it in years.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:47 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Back when Paperboys were still a thing why was it far more common to see boys doing it than girls? Seems like a girl could stand giving out papers or riding a bike delivering them as well as a boy could.
I was a paperboy in the late Forties and earliest years of the Fifties in western NY state. My particular paper route was in a town with lots of bad winter weather, and my route was a long one and included part of the countryside...in the winter it took hours in the dark, often having to walk because sidewalks weren't shovel, streets weren't plowed and it was snowing and blowing like crazy. Those days were very physically difficult and it was done in the dark, so I suspect that no girl's parents would have ever allowed it just on that basis.

But, in any case, I never, never heard of a young girl having a paper route.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:53 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
I I had a paper rout when I was a kid. I had to get up at 5am and deliver 2 large bags of papers on my BMX bike. I lived in an area that didn't snow, but we got a ton of rain. I was actually a pretty hard job for a jr high aged kid.

I'm sure there were girls that were capable of this job, but not too many. The chances of a girl quitting mid rout or just saying ef it one day would be considerably higher IMO. That's probably why the typically only hired boys for this job back then.

Now days, I see adults doing this job with a car. I haven't seen a kid on a bike doing it in years.
How can any kid today be out without their parents being arrested,?

Old 06-02-2016, 12:53 PM

8,079 posts, read 7,444,309 times
Quote:
Same reason girls are babysitters and boys aren't (except for the exceptions). Also for the same reason I went out exploring on my bike while my sisters only went exploring if they went with me.

Boys want(ed) to have paper routes and girls want to babysit. Easy, entry-level jobs for kids according to their interests.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:57 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,944,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I had a paper route when I was around 12 in the late 60's and I'm a female. It was an afternoon route after school and a morning route on the weekends. I had to go door to door and collect the money as well.
As I said, this started changing in the 1960s.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I had a paper route when I was around 12 in the late 60's and I'm a female. It was an afternoon route after school and a morning route on the weekends. I had to go door to door and collect the money as well.... For a young kid I had a lot of money.
I hated the collecting money part, it slowed me down, or else I collected in the morning and then went out and delivered at night.

Yes! about the money. Aside from the money I got from the paper publisher, I got a lot of tips. I was pretty flush with cash for someone in jr. high.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Parents worried more about their girls. Too many perverts out there.
I never heard that kind of talk in the Fifties in my town.

The one worry that parents of girls had was when an older boy, especially one already out of high school started taking an interest in their daughter. That was taboo, and if the girl wanted to see the guy she had to sneak around, which was rather difficult in a small town environment.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:52 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because societies then believed in gender roles and physical labor was the male role
This. Boys were favored for jobs outside the home in any field that wasn't stereotypically female; housecleaning, sewing, babysitting were seen as appropriate for women. Paper delivery or grocery bagging at the neighborhood store, or shelf-stocking, were boys' jobs.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:05 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
Parents worried more about their girls. Too many perverts out there.
I think this was a big part of it and especially today. I certainly would worry about my daughter out there, going door to door dealing with strangers in the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History