Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:09 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times

Advertisements

So been out of school for almost 20 years now & feel like learning. But one thing I've realized now is to always be careful of your source of information.

I really want to find a book that does a great job at telling truthful information about our countries history. But I think it would be important to also find a book that goes over some great world history.

I feel like knowledge is power & I'm tired of being ignorant of so much.

Any recommendations? I'd prefer a physical copy versus an online web page just because it's easier to read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2016, 10:56 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I'm not aware of any SINGLE book that would take that task on, since there is just too much information and a lot of nuances get lost. If there is a single time period or area that you want to start with, that might be more doable. Kudos for thinking along the lines you are though.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:29 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Start with Wikipedia.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:17 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
You can always buy one of those "History of the World" books, but they're more an encyclopedia than the kind of book you're looking for, I think.

History is just far too broad for one book to go into any depth. It's best to narrow down what you want. Say you want something on American history. Cool. Next figure out what aspect of American history interests you. Politics? War? Society? Religion? Then we can really start recommending things.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:27 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Go by country, time period, personalities, wars, emergencies, disasters, social change, or something else. I've studied WWII since 1965 and still haven't covered all the material available.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:30 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I guess it would make since to focus on US History first. I just know that I want to really know more facts about the history that goes on because so much is lies via social web.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:04 AM

10,020 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I guess it would make since to focus on US History first. I just know that I want to really know more facts about the history that goes on because so much is lies via social web.
I would suggest getting books for each time period otherwise you'll get those kind of history books like we had in school where they're all censored and chopped up so they could fit it all in one book. I always thought those Time Life books did a good job on the old west, you know... the ones in hand-tooled saddle leather. There are some good magazines out there too, like The Civil War Times and True West Magazine.

Old 06-16-2016, 10:46 AM

723 posts, read 1,005,106 times
Default Try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
So been out of school for almost 20 years now & feel like learning. But one thing I've realized now is to always be careful of your source of information.

I really want to find a book that does a great job at telling truthful information about our countries history. But I think it would be important to also find a book that goes over some great world history.

I feel like knowledge is power & I'm tired of being ignorant of so much.

Any recommendations? I'd prefer a physical copy versus an online web page just because it's easier to read.
A great book on the Battle of Gettysburg called "Killer Angels"
It is a fast read and you will learn a lot about the battle.
Everyone I know who has ever read it has loved it.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:11 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,335,819 times
My personal choice would be the multi-volume Oxford History of the American People. It calls greater attention to the role played by Americans outside the traditional white/male/landed role over-represented among the Founding Fathers, and to the social undercurrents of the times under study, but doesn't seem to lapse into the "Social Justice" indoctrination found in too many classrooms of the present day.

Old 06-16-2016, 11:19 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,488,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
A great book on the Battle of Gettysburg called "Killer Angels"
It is a fast read and you will learn a lot about the battle.
Everyone I know who has ever read it has loved it.
Killer Angels is a great book but it is a novel. You can learn a lot about the Battle of Gettysburg from it.

Death Traps: The Survival of an American Armored Division in World War II is a good book about an officers life in WWII. Ambrose quoted him a lot.

I found A History of Food by Maguelonne Toussaint-Samat - very interesting.

The Boer War Paperback by Thomas Pakenham was a good book on a conflict I knew nothing about.

The First World War by John Keegan was one of the easier to read books on WWI that I found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History