Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 02:25 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

My first lasting memory was being attacked by my future step father's dog when I was about two years old. A few years later the dog was crushed by an car and died slowly. I just watched with a very satisfied feeling. After it was buried I solemnly pissed on the grave. My step father was not pleased.

This incident probably explains much of my attitude about most everything that attacks me. Revel in your enemy's death and make certain they stay dead. That got me through 'Nam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 06:19 AM

39 posts, read 50,363 times
My first memory is of getting my diaper changed by my mom, when I was about 2. The memory starts with her carrying me from one place to another, and ends with her opening the tapes on the front of the diaper.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:08 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,601,915 times
I remember being born on a Thursday, I don't really remember the day I was born, but we had fish the next day.

My first worldly memory, looking at magazines on the floor of a house we moved away from when I was still five, in 1945. Seeing graphic pictures, I called out to the kitchen, "Mom, where's the war". She replied "Europe"

Last edited by arr430; 05-26-2021 at 12:17 AM..

Old 05-26-2021, 03:43 AM

^^^^^^^ My sister says we lived in that house through two school years, which means I moved fprom the previous house at age 3, and I have tons of memories from that house.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:05 PM

6,990 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
It is impossible to tell whether early memories are actually memories, since studies show that false "memories" planted as part of scientific studies are indistinguishable from real memories to the person recalling them.

But considering that children's brains develop along a predictable pattern, and their brains have not developed enough to form and retain memories before age 2 or so, I would say any "memory" before age 2 is very probably not a real memory.
I disagree. I remember being put in a infant scale to be weighed and having my diaper changed once.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:29 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
1998. I remember the year specifically and being with my mom.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:41 PM

765 posts, read 621,619 times
I remember being 3, lying down on the ground with my eyes closed, and asking my friend to wander around with her eyes closed to find me. She found me by stepping on my face. Luckily, I wasn't hurt.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:55 PM

3,507 posts, read 765,449 times
somewhere there is a picture of me at three that i remember posing for .. i think an older sibling has it .. i have seen it from time to time .. this would have been in 1958 ..

Old 05-26-2021, 05:09 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I disagree. I remember being put in a infant scale to be weighed and having my diaper changed once.
I believe you. I read through the entire thread yesterday (while waiting for my car to be repaired) and lots of people have memories of being around two or three years old, some even younger.

My own first memory is near the beginning of the thread--lying in my baby carriage and being awakened by my mother wheeling it down the front steps. Bump bump bump. I opened my eyes, saw her smiling face, and felt better. I probably had started to cry until I saw her smiling. And a few minutes later, two ladies were bent over me, saying things. I didn't understand words but probably they were gushing over the little baby me.

Looks like scientists need to take another look and interview more people. Someone earlier in the thread mentioned how she was attracted to a little boy. Her face was red because she "liked" him so much. I think she may have said she was around 3 yrs old. Yes, I remember learning in college that there is a "latency" period when boys and girls don't usually like each other very much (usually through mid to upper elementary school), but this makes me wonder what the experts think the youngest age for falling in love is.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
It is impossible to tell whether early memories are actually memories, since studies show that false "memories" planted as part of scientific studies are indistinguishable from real memories to the person recalling them.

But considering that children's brains develop along a predictable pattern, and their brains have not developed enough to form and retain memories before age 2 or so, I would say any "memory" before age 2 is very probably not a real memory.
But did the study show that "false memories" can plant themselves spontaneously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History