Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 09:54 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times

Advertisements

What do you think of this? I guess cannibalism can be found in every continent's history at some point.

Quote:
From creating candles made of human fat in the 1880s, to drinking blood at the scaffold, or making remedies out of crushed skull powder, many Europeans had no moral or ethical concerns about eating, drinking or otherwise using the bodies of dead people.

Going back a little further in time, even King Charles II of England sipped 'The King’s Drops', a powder mix of human skull with alcohol.

Tough news to swallow: Europeans saw nothing wrong with cannibalism until the 1900s, two new books claim | Daily Mail Online

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2017, 11:21 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
There is cannibalism and there is cannibalism.

A person taking a medicine made of powdered human skull would be revolted by someone who live in a remote hut and strangled travelers to eat their flesh.

Likewise, people who have been forced to consume human flesh for survival (think the Donner party) did not receive the same social stigma as people who killed and ate people to satiate a deviant lust.

Christians "normalized" the pseudo-metaphorical act (depending on the rhetoric of what actually happens to the substance in the mouth) of consuming the blood and body of the host, Communion, while considering literal cannibalism taboo.

Ritual cannibalism is different from psychopathic cannibalism. In European pre-history there is some evidence for cannibalism, but whether this evidence points to ritual, psychopathic, or survival cannibaism is hard to detect from the context in hich the evidence is found.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:19 PM

According to this the earliest known example of cannibalism is found in Europe.

Quote:
Jose Maria Bermudez de Castro, one of the co-directors of the Atapuerca project, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, said: "It is the first well-documented case of cannibalism in the history of humanity."

First Europeans were cannibals with taste for children - Telegraph

Old 01-21-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post

Ritual cannibalism is different from psychopathic cannibalism.
Ritual cannibalism may represent a lot of the cannibalism that's practiced by certain cultures. I've read of cultures that will eat certain body parts or organs because they believe it will give them "powers".

Old 01-21-2017, 07:45 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,635,195 times
Have you ever read about Boone Helm ?
He was a gunfighter/serial killer in the old west. He would kill his traveling companions and take body parts off them to snack on during long journeys. I know if I was riding the trail with him and I heard his stomach growl I would dig my spurs into my horse and ride like the wind.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:43 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times
Sawney Bean, one Scottish nutter!

Old 01-22-2017, 06:58 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,120,871 times
Yes but none of this is the same as killing an butchering living people for meat like in Africa:

Earlier, while Battuta was still at the capital, a group of African cannibals and their leader came to see sultan Mansa Suleiman. They wore large metal rings in their ears and wore silver mantles. they came from a region that possessed a gold mine, so the sultan was gracious to them, and gave them a slave woman as a hospitality gift. The cannibals killed and ate her, then smeared her blood on themselves and went to thank the sultan. As an aside, Battuta reported that he heard the tastiest meat came from the palms and the breasts.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:17 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Yes but none of this is the same as killing an butchering living people for meat like in Africa:

Earlier, while Battuta was still at the capital, a group of African cannibals and their leader came to see sultan Mansa Suleiman. They wore large metal rings in their ears and wore silver mantles. they came from a region that possessed a gold mine, so the sultan was gracious to them, and gave them a slave woman as a hospitality gift. The cannibals killed and ate her, then smeared her blood on themselves and went to thank the sultan. As an aside, Battuta reported that he heard the tastiest meat came from the palms and the breasts.
That still does not make the European's innocent.

They did the same thing as the Africans.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:36 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,329,467 times
Siege of St. Petersburg, etc.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:49 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,076,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by England Dan View Post
Sawney Bean, one Scottish nutter!
More about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sawney_Beane

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Cleek
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History