Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 02:23 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times

Advertisements

What exactly were these doctors thinking.. and this wasnt a hundred years ago.. This hospital stenciled a babys initials with a UV lamp in case they were given to the wrong parents.. https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...a5b8a5b6da.jpg I just looked up the story and the mother standing smiling... crazy people http://boingboing.net/2008/08/05/uv-...-iron-for.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 02:32 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,110,503 times
I read the short article and it says that it was harmless and vanished after two weeks. It stated that the initials were "tanned" into the baby, not burned, and that the mothers also received the treatment.

So...what is the complaint here? It was used to prevent mix ups in identifying newborns.

Old 03-25-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I read the short article and it says that it was harmless and vanished after two weeks. It stated that the initials were "tanned" into the baby, not burned, and that the mothers also received the treatment.

So...what is the complaint here? It was used to prevent mix ups in identifying newborns.
You arent serious are you.... UV light on a babies skin leaving a tan mark... tanning is burning.. they should be ashamed . Were name tags out of the question. UV lamps emit radiation... They said a lot of things were harmless back in the day...

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-25-2017 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-25-2017, 04:02 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,921,362 times
Yeah, you should always be very careful with a young baby's skin.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,807,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
You arent serious are you.... UV light on a babies skin leaving a tan mark... tanning is burning..
You're trying to equate a sensation-less experience with a serious burn, which causes considerable pain. Frankly, I don't know of someone who gets mildly tanner (which virtually everyone does in the summer) and runs around saying "I'm suffering from burns!". The only time the sort of mild tanning described in this article is 'burning' is when someone is trying to make it out to be vastly more than it is.

It doesn't sound like a particularly good idea to me. On the other hand, I don't know - and for all I know, the dose of UV involved is the equivalent of a kid spending a day or two in the outdoors playing. And most people spend a cumulative total or years outdoors over the course of their lives.

Quote:
they should be ashamed . Were name tags out of the question. UV lamps emit radiation... They said a lot of things were harmless back in the day...
Now you're just being ridiculous. Of course UV lamps emit radiation - the radiation they emit is UV light (kinda figures that UV lamps would emit UV light, no?). And lamps emit radiation - a sort we call visible light. The Sun emits both types.

You're freaking out over the word 'radiation', which everyone equates with radioactive decay. But that's particle radiation, which has precisely nothing in common with electromagnetic radiation (UV, visual light, radio waves, etc.) save for the fact that the English language uses the same word to casual describe both.

Like I said, the device doesn't sound like a good idea. At the same time, you've clearly been suckered in by the silly 'branding iron' description which, upon reading the actual article, is obviously not how the mark was applied.

Old 03-25-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
You're trying to equate a sensation-less experience with a serious burn, which causes considerable pain. Frankly, I don't know of someone who gets mildly tanner (which virtually everyone does in the summer) and runs around saying "I'm suffering from burns!". The only time the sort of mild tanning described in this article is 'burning' is when someone is trying to make it out to be vastly more than it is.

It doesn't sound like a particularly good idea to me. On the other hand, I don't know - and for all I know, the dose of UV involved is the equivalent of a kid spending a day or two in the outdoors playing. And most people spend a cumulative total or years outdoors over the course of their lives. this idea goes with the other here... madness
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...orrors?image=0

Now you're just being ridiculous. Of course UV lamps emit radiation - the radiation they emit is UV light (kinda figures that UV lamps would emit UV light, no?). And lamps emit radiation - a sort we call visible light. The Sun emits both types.

You're freaking out over the word 'radiation', which everyone equates with radioactive decay. But that's particle radiation, which has precisely nothing in common with electromagnetic radiation (UV, visual light, radio waves, etc.) save for the fact that the English language uses the same word to casual describe both.

Like I said, the device doesn't sound like a good idea. At the same time, you've clearly been suckered in by the silly 'branding iron' description which, upon reading the actual article, is obviously not how the mark was applied.
What.... I dont know what your on about.... I was actually reading about kids having UV light treatment in the 40s and 50s for rickets and other illnesses and this photo popped up and I thought how foolish doctors were back then doing this to a baby, so please dont hit me with all your jargon.. it was dangerous and stupid back in the day to do this to a baby..Id never heard of this and hope it wasnt used in the UK .. dont think so.

Last edited by dizzybint; 03-25-2017 at 04:57 PM..

Old 03-25-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
You arent serious are you.... UV light on a babies skin leaving a tan mark... tanning is burning.. they should be ashamed . Were name tags out of the question. UV lamps emit radiation... They said a lot of things were harmless back in the day...
Of course I was serious. I can find nothing in the article which justifies your overly emotional reaction. "Branding" involves applying a heated piece of metal to the skin or hide. No one would describe a sunlamp tan as branding save whoever wrote that misleading headline for the article, and apparently you.

See Unsettomati's fine post for an explanation regarding UV radiation.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:47 PM

19,015 posts, read 27,574,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

Yes and do YOU put sunblock when you go on a beach summer time? Why would you? Harmless Sun emitting harmless radiation.... Hmmm, what was that about skin cancer though... caused by Sun radiation?

You do understand that a newborn skin, skin that just came out of 9 months of COMPLETE darkness and NO exposure to any visible spectrum radiation is several-fold more sensitive than adult skin?
Oh, didn't harm anyone? How do you know what will happen in 20 years? 30?

Old 03-25-2017, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Oh, didn't harm anyone? How do you know what will happen in 20 years? 30?
If you have some evidence of anyone suffering long or short term harm as a consequence of the procedure described in the article, please present it. Otherwise you are simply presenting hysteria.

Are you aware of some epidemic of infant deaths? Increased probability of cancer? Did they go blind or lose 50 IQ points? Develop greyscale?

A tiny portion of a baby's skin was exposed briefly to a sunlamp. Doesn't sound like it is good for the baby, but also doesn't sound like anything which could cause enduring harm.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,339,800 times
Used to work with powerful UV light. Friend and co-worker got one of the more glorious sun burns you ever saw by accidentally getting exposed to a powerful UV lamp or a couple of minutes.

I would however point out that human babies have been born under bright sun light in many times and managed to live through it and reproduce.

What the MDs did was not the sharpest thing ever but more nuisance value than anything. Young infants are sun burned reasonably often in hot climates. Unless it gets really weird they recover pretty well. I know of at least one case where the parents inadvertently exposed a four day old kid and got pretty heavy sun burn on one side of the kids face. Two weeks later he was perfectly normal.

Looking for skin cancer after decades is nonsense. Does not work like that. Single exposure are just that...and have virtually zero probability of anything years later. You really think infants never get hit by sunlight until they are a year old or something.

Not a reasonable thing to do...but not anything other than a little silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History