Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times

Advertisements

I recently came across references to the acquisition and use of Me109 fighter derivatives used by Israel in its war for independence. This was news to me. I wonder if other Forum members have additional information.

Here are some links.

Israel's first air battle

When Israel flew Nazi Planes – HeritageDaily – Heritage & Archaeology News

Four Israeli Aircraft Stopped A Huge Arab Army In 1948 - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:10 AM

8,494 posts, read 6,900,248 times
They used whatever weapons they could get on the cheap. German fighters like the ME 109. American B 17 bombers. British rifles and submachine guns. Not to mention Jewish volunteer fighters from all over the world including Americans.

Old 04-25-2017, 10:22 AM

12,391 posts, read 8,161,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
They used whatever weapons they could get on the cheap. German fighters like the ME 109. American B 17 bombers. British rifles and submachine guns. Not to mention Jewish volunteer fighters from all over the world including Americans.
Even gentiles volunteered, perhaps most famously among pilots was Canadian ace George Buerling. In one of the movies, I believe Cast A Giant Shadow Frank Sinatra played a similar role as a gentile pilot volunteering and losing his life fighting for Israel

Last edited by Taiko; 04-25-2017 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: auto fill not checked, sorry

Old 04-25-2017, 11:46 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
It may surprise you how military surplus weapons get re-distributed to other countries even decades after they are decommissioned by the manufacturing countries. Israel using Nazi weapons is ironic but North Vietnam in the 60s was using some German WW2 era weapons including artillery, AA, and anti-tank guns given to them by the Soviets that were in turn captured by them in WW2.
In lots of the current middle-east conflicts including in Iraq, Syria, and Libya you get a smorgesborg of weapons that practically look like a surplus weapons collectors show - including mausers, Nazi-era StG 44s (a valuable relic here in the US), and a couple old german howitzers.
In Libya everyone and his brother seemed to have a WW1 era bolt action Italian Carcano rilfle hiding away (yeah, the same type of weapons used to assassinate JFK) during the most recent uprising.
Word is S. Korea and the Philipines have warehouse full of M1 Garand's (hopefully they will make there way here for the collector market).

Old 04-25-2017, 12:09 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,821,814 times
Czechoslovakia produced the Avia S-199 which was practically a worse version (using the Junkers Jumo engine used in the Ju-87 and Ju-88) of the late Bf-109G-6. This is the version Israel bought. While I understand the irony that Israel acquired nazi planes built by commie Czechs, it was pretty much the only thing they could get at that point. The Avia was in every way inferior to the late Bf-109-G6 and totally obsolete in 1948.

But as said earlier, using enemy and captured equipment was commonplace. France captured a lot of Panther tanks and used them for several years after WWII.

Old 04-25-2017, 01:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Czechoslovakia produced the Avia S-199 which was practically a worse version (using the Junkers Jumo engine used in the Ju-87 and Ju-88) of the late Bf-109G-6. This is the version Israel bought. While I understand the irony that Israel acquired nazi planes built by commie Czechs, it was pretty much the only thing they could get at that point. The Avia was in every way inferior to the late Bf-109-G6 and totally obsolete in 1948?
Yes, that was in one of the articles cited. Thanks for confirming it.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:00 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,099,641 times
Well, in this case it really drives home the point "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian!"

First rate and really motivated troops with obsolete weaponry usually defeat low-grade troops with first-rate weapons.

Even today the Israelis tend to improve even first rate weapons they get from the US. They more or less invented putting a rear-view mirror in fighter planes, and typically remove the stock warheads from air-to-air missiles, installing "homebrew" ones with more punch. Or so I have heard/read, and I forget where so don't ask me for a citation.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Four planes does not make an air force and two of them crashing within a week of getting them doesn't say much for their quality.

Quote:
This plane was the worst piece of crap I have ever flown. It was not even an airplane. It was put together by the Czechs from mismatched parts left behind by the Nazis. The airframe was that of an Me-109 but the propeller and engine came out of a Heinkel bomber. You can’t make a plane that way. But it was all we could get, so we took it.

Old 04-25-2017, 03:25 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Well, in this case it really drives home the point "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian!"

First rate and really motivated troops with obsolete weaponry usually defeat low-grade troops with first-rate weapons.

Even today the Israelis tend to improve even first rate weapons they get from the US. They more or less invented putting a rear-view mirror in fighter planes, and typically remove the stock warheads from air-to-air missiles, installing "homebrew" ones with more punch. Or so I have heard/read, and I forget where so don't ask me for a citation.
Nearly nothing Israel gets from any supplier goes straight into use. The missiles are usually stock as the one's that are built in the US are built with Israeli supervision.

Old 04-25-2017, 04:00 PM

10,770 posts, read 5,683,884 times
The documentary "Above and Beyond" is a very interesting film that goes into detail about this era of Israel's history. It's a great movie and a fascinating story. I highly recommend it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History