Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2017, 09:10 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Germany's diplomatic actions before the war were very shortsighted, it seems like almost everything the Kaiser did served to diplomatically isolate Germany.
Yep. I wonder what Bismarck thought during his waning years as Wilhelm II undid all his brilliant work.

Part of Dreadnaught deal with Wilhelm's psychology. It doesn't get discussed much in histories of World War I, but he was born with his left arm considerably shorter than his right. He was always obsessed with looking like a misshapen freak. I wonder if that had something to do with his hyperaggressive statecraft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 09:46 AM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,265 times
I`ve read this book 3 times.It`s brilliant

History Book Review: The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIg6r-xDkjg

Old 07-11-2017, 10:27 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yep. I wonder what Bismarck thought during his waning years as Wilhelm II undid all his brilliant work.

Part of Dreadnaught deal with Wilhelm's psychology. It doesn't get discussed much in histories of World War I, but he was born with his left arm considerably shorter than his right. He was always obsessed with looking like a misshapen freak. I wonder if that had something to do with his hyperaggressive statecraft.
There was definitely some kind of superiority complex involved. There's also a theory that visited his grandmother, Queen Victoria, in his youth made him envious of her Britain's navy and overseas Empire. Which explains his obsession with replicating that for Germany.

It's fascinating that these major world events can often be understood by learning the psychology of those involved.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:38 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Bismarck also worked very hard to create a delicate system that isolated France. Yet Wilhelm II's brash actions pushed Russia, and Framce'a historical enemy, Britain towards them. Bringing France back in from the wilderness, after decades of isolation.

Old 07-11-2017, 05:11 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman.

It chronicles the events of August, 1914 that led to World War I, the war that changed Europe forever, and all the reasons why August, 1914 became the fuze that ignited the bomb.

It's pretty old now- published in 1968, as I recall, but I think it's a must-read if a person wants to understand everything that followed. The after effects of that month are still with us, 103 years later.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:10 PM

828 posts, read 465,550 times
Quest Of A Hemisphere - Donzella Cross Boyle

A high school text book that is also a pretty good read.

Old 07-13-2017, 07:21 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman.

It chronicles the events of August, 1914 that led to World War I, the war that changed Europe forever, and all the reasons why August, 1914 became the fuze that ignited the bomb.

It's pretty old now- published in 1968, as I recall, but I think it's a must-read if a person wants to understand everything that followed. The after effects of that month are still with us, 103 years later.
I've heard of Barbara Tuchman's work, that The Guns of August is a must read. I'd also add in her other book, The Proud Tower, which describes the events that lead up to the Great War.

I must admit that I haven't read either book yet, but this thread prompted me to get these two books from Amazon and add them to my future reading list.

Old 07-13-2017, 11:43 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
I've heard of Barbara Tuchman's work, that The Guns of August is a must read. I'd also add in her other book, The Proud Tower, which describes the events that lead up to the Great War.

I must admit that I haven't read either book yet, but this thread prompted me to get these two books from Amazon and add them to my future reading list.
You know, while you're right about The Guns of August, I found The Proud Tower to be a disappointment.

It felt like a rush job of a sequel, a quick rundown of Europe as the pinnacle of Western Civilization before the idiots tore it down. Might be just me.

That being said, Tuchman's other fine, fine work is A Distant Mirror, the chronicle of Europe in the 14th century. Really, that century was one calamity after another, which ultimately paved the way for the reordering of European society with the Renaissance, the Age of Exploration, the Reformation, and the Enlightenment.

Old 07-13-2017, 12:07 PM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
I must admit to recently purchasing The Proud Tower on the reputation of Barbara Tuchman's The Guns of August...and that it was required reading in my brother's history class during college. I still remember it sitting on the shelf in his room, probably unread, as he wasn't very bookish.

One Amazon review called The Proud Tower "a towering disappointment", but another critical review points out that it's not actually one book but rather an anthology of articles authored by Tuchman, which would account for its perceived lack of flow and repetitiveness, as noted in the negative reviews.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:29 PM

1,665 posts, read 974,344 times
I'm a huge WW 2 reader. One book I definitely would recommend is D-Day by Stephen Ambrose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History