Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 02:27 PM

603 posts, read 1,630,749 times

Advertisements

I just have been surfing the months of the year from the calendar and the origins.

I read things like there was actually only ten months in a year originally before the Romans interfered and changed the calendar.

Then the Romans like decided to add two more months like January and February

Months like September with was months seven, October month eight, November month nine and December month ten.

Also it is interesting to know like when people just think the new year starts on January.

When instead it was March or even April which the New year actually started funny enough.

Some say March 1 as the originally beginning of the year, others say March 25 because of spring time.

Some even say April 1 due to it being April Fools Day and something similar to March 25 above.

I ask this because my four friends birthdays as one is in January 6, other one in January 14, other two birthdays are in February 3, February 17.

Which will lead me to ask another question a bit after.

Examples of links:
https://www.theguardian.com/notesand...-82486,00.html

https://history.stackexchange.com/qu...e-roman-empire

https://www.crowl.org/Lawrence/time/months.html

History Of Our Calendar | Calendars

https://biblethingsinbibleways.wordp...ical-new-year/

April Fools' Day: How Did It Start? | Time

New Year's Day was celebrated April 1 - no fooling | Opinion | tucson.com

Old 03-08-2018, 03:04 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Romans had many various calendars throughout history ranging from anywhere from 10 to 13 months. Their original calendar was derived from the Greeks and Greeks had multiple different calendars (each city-state had their own calendar).

Old 03-08-2018, 04:37 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,354,109 times
There were 10 months. Think about it. October is OCT, meaning 8. DEcember is DEC meaning 10. Then they added July and August (Julius and Augustus Ceaser). These months could not have added months to the year. The year was divided up differently after these months were added. It's quite complicated.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:43 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
We will switch to the metric year eventually -- back to ten months.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:14 PM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
I have a calendar I came up with some years ago when looking for an alternate. We could always go to a 'geo-numeric calendar' that focuses on the 'seasons' in 91 day increments post solstice and equinox and adjusted as needed.

WS 1 Winter Solstice
WS 2-91
VE 1 Vernal Equinox
VE 2 - 91
SS 1 Summer Solstice
SS 2 - 91
AE 1 Autumnal Equinox
AE 2-91
NEW YEARS Day the day after Winter Solstice and every fourth year a two day New Years celebration...

Only problem with it is it is Hemisphere specific as the seasons alternate with the wobble / angle.

The dating system for March 8, 2018 in Northern Hemisphere would: WS 77 2018 NH
It would read Winter Solstice 77, year 2018 Northern Hemisphere

Oh, and it would mean all those literary and lyrical efforts to use the name of Months would be anachronisms.

Like, "When April showers come your way they bring the flowers that bloom in May....."

Or ruin the 'beauty' of Neil Sedaka's, Calendar Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpdY97Tt_iE

Last edited by ciceropolo; 03-08-2018 at 06:20 PM.. Reason: additional

Old 03-08-2018, 06:31 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
I've wondered about the origin of the week. Everything else is set to existing phenomena. A year is one orbit around the sun. A day is one revolution of the earth. A month corresponds roughly to the lunar cycles.

But a week? Seven days represents what? Could not a week have as easily been six days, or eight days or ten days?

Old 03-08-2018, 07:09 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I've wondered about the origin of the week. Everything else is set to existing phenomena. A year is one orbit around the sun. A day is one revolution of the earth. A month corresponds roughly to the lunar cycles.

But a week? Seven days represents what? Could not a week have as easily been six days, or eight days or ten days?
No. Because the number of weeks has to fit into a 28- or 30-day month. Conceivably, a week could be 10 days, and there would be three of them per month, except Feb. would be shorted. Then we'd have to name the extra 3 days/week for a 10-day week. Any ideas?

And how would the 5-day work-week, with 2 days off, fit into a 10-day week? Or a 6-day week, with 5 weeks to a month? Would you be ok with only having 1 day off/week?

Old 03-08-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post

That's another good one. I think the predominant one commonly used today stems from the Western worlds seven tone musical scale based on Latin mnemonics for components of the ancient "scale" of the organization of the cosmos. If you think about it in terms of 'as above so below' tracking one's 'time/ existence' would naturally try to correlate to this type of organization as virtually all the ancient cultures were much closely aligned to cosmological concepts driving their cycle of recording history.

do, re, mi, fa, so, la, si

do = Dominus the lord god
re= regina caelum "the queen of heaven"
mi= microcosm "the earth"
fa = fata "the fates" = The Planets
Sol= "The Sun"
la = the "via lacteal" the Milky Way
si= sidera "(all) the stars"

Differing cultures have different 'mash ups'. The naming nomenclature of the days of the week is a mash up with things like Woden's Day and Thor's day, a la, the Roman insertion of Julian and Augustus into the months. Yet, in others they are differing planets. Which begs the question, if the cultures scientific knowledge only consisted of five planets and the sun and moon we get a seven day week. While if we organized it now it would be 9/10 depending on whether Pluto is a planet and if someday a "Planet X" will be confirmed.

Fascinating to contemplate when the 'bridge' in thought occurred what the discussion(s) were in the respective cultures and for what purposes.

Old 03-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No. Because the number of weeks has to fit into a 28- or 30-day month. Conceivably, a week could be 10 days, and there would be three of them per month, except Feb. would be shorted. Then we'd have to name the extra 3 days/week for a 10-day week. Any ideas?

And how would the 5-day work-week, with 2 days off, fit into a 10-day week? Or a 6-day week, with 5 weeks to a month? Would you be ok with only having 1 day off/week?

I think the accounting for the three extra days may have been accomplished in some cultures with their winter solstice celebrations - it's been a long time since I recall reading about this (excuse me for my paraphrasing attempt from recall). I thought some cultures perceived the three days at winter solstice in the northern hemisphere as of nearly equal length and as a 'rebirth/ renewal'.

That may have been a good 'adjustment' and reasons to party/ celebrate always go over well with the people.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:07 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,106,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Then we'd have to name the extra 3 days/week for a 10-day week. Any ideas?
?
We could call the first one Grandsday, the second one Standerday, and the third one Grandstanderday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History