Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,685,890 times

Advertisements

Ok I'll try this again,

How many nations were originally in the United Nations?

What group of nations is the ancestor of the European Union?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:32 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,143,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
delusianne,
I'll take another tack and say "ta" is from the Hindi language. I'm still not clear what word it may be from. Of course, "ta ta" is often used for our "goodbye." If from the Hindi language, I would guess it has something to do with the movie Gandhi.
No, move northwest.

Hint #3: Out of Africa has an extremely strong connection to the movie that I commented uses this word a lot. It's not a unique connection, there is one similar instance (AFAIK), but the OOA connection is stronger and more impressive.
Hint #4: The word is homely, common and short, but not an article. It's used less often than "the" but more often than "goodbye."
Hint #5: It's believed the original word came to English via early settlers, not the Romans. I found one unreliable source that speculates the word became corrupted to "ta" in the northern part of Great Britain.
Hint #6: The Oscar-winning movie that's strongly connected to OOA is not an English-language film.

Bonus points for staying home from work tomorrow to figure this out.

Last edited by delusianne; 04-20-2008 at 10:44 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
No, move northwest.

Hint #3: Out of Africa has an extremely strong connection to the movie that I commented uses this word a lot. It's not a unique connection, there is one similar instance (AFAIK), but the OOA connection is stronger and more impressive.
Hint #4: The word is homely, common and short, but not an article. It's used less often than "the" but more often than "goodbye."
Hint #5: It's believed the original word came to English via early settlers, not the Romans. I found one unreliable source that speculates the word became corrupted to "ta" in the northern part of Great Britain.
Hint #6: The Oscar-winning movie that's strongly connected to OOA is not an English-language film.

Bonus points for staying home from work tomorrow to figure this out.
I'll give it one more go. The word "ta" is used by the Shetland Islanders as an auxiliary verb "to be." Apparently, it's derived from Gaelic and Old Norse (Norn)). Its equivalent in our Engish is "to have." I found that ta is used in the Yorkshire dialect as "thanks" and elsewhere as "take." You can tell I'm not a linguist, but I'll admit this has been an interesting odyssey. Someone else on the board may have better insight into it. We watch quite a few foreign movies, in fact, I prefer them for their realism, but I can't think of the one that would fit this situation. We saw a Danish film called "Babette's Feast," but I can't see a connection with this.

Last edited by John Walmsley; 04-21-2008 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: change name of movie to Babette's Feast

Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM

Quote:
We saw a Danish film called "Babette's Feast," but I can't see a connection with this.
Ding ding ding, that's the film! Its connection to OOA gives you the language, and if you know the meaning of "ta" in Great Britain, the word we're looking for just means the same as "ta." That's all!

Old 04-21-2008, 01:21 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,604,423 times
There were originally 51 countries in the United Nations ....50 attended the
first meeting ...51st country Poland signed later

The EEC started in 1957 with 6 countries

Germany ...France ...Netherlands ....Belgium ....Italy ...and Luxembourg

Old 04-21-2008, 04:35 PM

Default Geography

Here are some questions to consider:

The Hittites were thought to be a mythical people until archaeologists found in the 1870s that they actually existed. They ruled an empire largely centered on a plateau in this country. Name the country and the plateau.

This lady(c. 375-415 BC) was a brilliant mathematician and philosopher in a city known for its library and as a center of learning. She was killed by religious zealots. Name the lady and the city where she lived and died.

Where did the Minoans live and how was their civilization destroyed in about 1650 BC?

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
This lady(c. 375-415 BC) was a brilliant mathematician and philosopher in a city known for its library and as a center of learning. She was killed by religious zealots. Name the lady and the city where she lived and died.
Mention of a well known library would make me say Alexandria but have no clue who the woman was. Not sure if religious zealotry fits in with Alexandria tho

Quote:
Where did the Minoans live and how was their civilization destroyed in about 1650 BC?
Crete?

Earthquake?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
ta >bowing<

Do you know what language "ta" comes from, and its original form in that language?
Hint #1:
It's practically every other word in an Academy Award-winning film from the mid-80s. Bonus points for naming the film.
Sorry, time's up! "Ta" comes from the Danish word "tak," which means "thank you." I was sure ">bowing<" would give it away! Thanks to the lovely Karen Blixen who wrote the story Babette's Feast. Thanks to all for playing, and accept our exciting tak gifts.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:37 AM

Default Geography

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Mention of a well known library would make me say Alexandria but have no clue who the woman was. Not sure if religious zealotry fits in with Alexandria tho

Crete?

Earthquake?
burdell,

Alexandia is correct. There were competing pagan and Christian movements
underway at the time. She contributed important work to the development of mathematics, especially conic sections, and Newton and others later expanded on it. Hint: The first two letters of her name are: "Hy"

Crete is correct. I'm sure an earthquake and a tsunami were involved here, but something much more horrific happened that affected weather as far away as China.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:44 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
burdell,

Alexandia is correct. There were competing pagan and Christian movements
underway at the time. She contributed important work to the development of mathematics, especially conic sections, and Newton and others later expanded on it. Hint: The first two letters of her name are: "Hy"
This one is a real stumper

Quote:
Crete is correct. I'm sure an earthquake and a tsunami were involved here, but something much more horrific happened that affected weather as far away as China.
To be that far reaching I'd have to say volcanic eruption
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History