Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2008, 08:44 AM

594 posts, read 1,779,157 times

Advertisements

I looked at Sable Island and talked myself out of it. I was getting ready to guess
Tierra del Fuego, administered jointly by Chile and Argentina. The collision of the seas there have long been a terror to seaman.

While we are in the area, not far from Sable Island, can someone name one of the islands still administered by France. I believe they were mainly held for fishing rights. A movie was made about a story from one of the islands.

P.S. Good job by awecelot and dxiweodwo in answering the previous questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:08 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,164,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
While we are in the area, not far from Sable Island, can someone name one of the islands still administered by France. I believe they were mainly held for fishing rights. A movie was made about a story from one of the islands.

The St. Pierre Islands - St. Pierre? If so, the film is centered around a key element of the Marie Antoinette thread.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:14 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,978 times
You guys are coming up with the Best Questions (and answers)!!!
Thank you all for the great contributions...
See you in a few weeks!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 AM

Default Geography

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The St. Pierre Islands - St. Pierre? If so, the film is centered around a key element of the Marie Antoinette thread.
delusianne,

You have it! The other island is Miquelon. The movie was The Widow of St. Pierre, supposedly about an incident in the 1840s.
John

Old 04-20-2008, 12:29 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,988 times
Enjoy your vacation Trudyrose!

Old 04-20-2008, 01:52 PM

29,890 posts, read 9,963,145 times
Quote:
I looked at Sable Island and talked myself out of it. I was getting ready to guess
Tierra del Fuego, administered jointly by Chile and Argentina. The collision of the seas there have long been a terror to seaman.

thank you.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
delusianne,

You have it! The other island is Miquelon. The movie was The Widow of St. Pierre, supposedly about an incident in the 1840s.
John
ta >bowing<

Do you know what language "ta" comes from, and its original form in that language?
Hint #1:
It's practically every other word in an Academy Award-winning film from the mid-80s. Bonus points for naming the film.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
ta >bowing<

Do you know what language "ta" comes from, and its original form in that language?
Hint #1:
It's practically every other word in an Academy Award-winning film from the mid-80s. Bonus points for naming the film.
delusianne,

I may be way out on a limb on this but here goes: I needed more of a hint so I looked for ta in the dictionary. I found the word Taal, which in Afrikaans means tale. Afrikaans is from middle Dutch. I would guess that ta is a function word like our word "the." My guess on the film is Out of Africa. I wondered if ta is the same as da in Russian?
John

Old 04-20-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
delusianne,

I may be way out on a limb on this but here goes: I needed more of a hint so I looked for ta in the dictionary. I found the word Taal, which in Afrikaans means tale. Afrikaans is from middle Dutch. I would guess that ta is a function word like our word "the." My guess on the film is Out of Africa. I wondered if ta is the same as da in Russian?
John
No >sawing limb< to SA and Russia, but those are great guesses.
My first post wasn't clear - "ta" in English is a corruption of the original word.

Hint #2 - Out of Africa has a connection to the answer, but not as a Hollywood movie. You're a couple of years either forward or back Oscar-wise, too.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
No >sawing limb< to SA and Russia, but those are great guesses.
My first post wasn't clear - "ta" in English is a corruption of the original word.

Hint #2 - Out of Africa has a connection to the answer, but not as a Hollywood movie. You're a couple of years either forward or back Oscar-wise, too.
delusianne,
I'll take another tack and say "ta" is from the Hindi language. I'm still not clear what word it may be from. Of course, "ta ta" is often used for our "goodbye." If from the Hindi language, I would guess it has something to do with the movie Gandhi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History