Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 09:16 PM

4,173 posts, read 2,571,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
Israel imports tens of thousands of young women from Eastern Europe and essentially traps them in brothels. These young girls "agree" to go thinking they're going to get jobs in the movie industry or as models, but they simply have their bodies sold and have no means of escape.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/thousa...l-study-finds/

“By the 1990’s Israel was established as a destination country for trafficking, and international sex trafficking victims had replaced the local market,” Hughes wrote. “Israel’s flesh trade was booming and making between half a billion to three quarters of a billion dollars a year. It was a particularly desirable market for traffickers because the purchase of sexual services was, and still is, legal in Israel. ”
“Throughout the 1990’s traffickers acted with impunity and, according to the Hotline for Migrant Workers, smuggled 3,000 women annually into Israel,” she added.

Just a snippet from one article, but I figure I'd post the least controversial source, The Times of Israel iis after all a Jewish paper.

I never figured out why Americans are so brainwashed into believing that everything about Israel is good when most of the rest of the world seems to see things more objectively.

Go talk to people from countries as varied as from Argentina to Australia and you'll find that most people on this planet consider Israel to be just a richer version of North Korea.

Here's a little more from around the world:

"In absolute numbers, India led the list with up to 14.7 million slaves, followed by China and Pakistan.
Mauritania, with 3.8 million inhabitants and over 150,000 slaves, had the highest prevalence of slavery.

Ireland, Iceland, and the UK enjoy the lowest prevalence of slavery, the survey said."

Ah, but Whites are evil according to the OP.
I'm not sure what attacking tiny Israel fighting for her life surrounded by enemies has to do with First Nations, and slavery, but frankly, it doesn't matter to me what the whole world thinks about Israel. I will always love, and support her, and the Jews. The Bible does say that at the end of the age that the whole world will be against her. We are just about there. I won't be one of them throwing stones. Instead, I pray for the peace of Jerusalem.

If she does some of those things for as tiny as she is then America must be greater than 100 times worse if not more. And the rest of the world is just as bad. They have no room to be pointing fingers. I won't debate you on this. This is just my opinion based on the Bible. This is OT, and I have nothing further to say on this side subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 09:42 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

For example, African slaves were sold by their own kings into slavery.
Not sure how common it was for Kings to sell members of their own tribe into slavery. That would have depopulated their tribe. Instead Africans were selling people from rival/enemy tribes into slavery.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
DNA testing took care of most of the differences of opinion.

A friend of mine with Tennessee roots and a common Melungeon surname (but no oral tradition of Melungeon background) back in her family several generations ago just took that test, as did her sister. Surprise! 7% African background, previously completely unknown to my friend's current family. She did the math - not that far back if one individual was involved - a black g-g-grandparent seems to be indicated. Of course that percentage could have been acquired through more than one ancestor.

My friend is very fair-skinned, blue eyed, has typical western European facial features and light brown hair - that is very curly. Family did have an oral tradition of Cherokee background, but no genetic American Indian heritage emerged. She and her sister plan to dig a bit deeper as this has raised a lot of unanswered questions for them - sadly, the older generation of their family is gone now.
There is a Melungeon group on google groups that was very interesting. I think I'm still a member if they haven't given me the boot yet. I haven't visited over there in several years. But yes, there were many people disappointed in the dna results as it didn't match up with their oral traditions. I think there is more to the story. I still found the whole thing fascinating.

My story overlaps slightly with your friends. I was adopted, and raised by my maternal grandparents. But my paternal side said I was 1/8 Cherokee but I haven't been able to trace it. For 1/8th Cherokee it had to come in at St Joseph, Mo, a lady there in the 1800's. And my paternal people have all passed on like your friends so I can't ask them anything. I did have shovel teeth, and the asian eye fold which indicates NA ancestry.

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/gene...pics/ai/10261/

No dna test yet, but want to. My hair is very wavy when it's long, curly when short. So may have some black back there too idk. It might have been easier to say Cherokee than try to explain all the rest. Way back when, Virginia, and West Virginia where one area instead of two, and that is near where some of the Melungeons lived. That may mean nothing. I have some people from that area, but the names are not the traditional Melungeon names. So who knows, lol. I hope your friend finds out more on her family mystery. It's pretty cool.

P.S. Your description of her sounds like me. Which dna test did they use? Please PM me if they find out anything more, thanks.

Old 07-16-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Not sure how common it was for Kings to sell members of their own tribe into slavery. That would have depopulated their tribe. Instead Africans were selling people from rival/enemy tribes into slavery.
I agree with you on this. And the Arabs were the slavery pipeline.

Old 07-16-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
The OP cited the Cherokees as slave-holders. By the time of the Cherokee Removal in 1845, many of the Cherokee were very, very assimilated with the dominant culture and many were intermarried with whites. Many Scottish backcountry traders had Cherokee wives, and their descendants became Cherokee leaders - look at the background of Chief John Ross. By the time of the Removal, individuals who considered themselves Cherokee and who were often tribal leaders were only 1/6 Cherokee by "blood".

The dominant white culture in the ante bellum Cherokees' original lands and later in Indian Territory (later Oklahoma) included wealthy slaveholders, and the Cherokee leadership of the time mirrored this culture.

See General Stand Watie, a Cherokee Confederate from Oklahoma, for a remarkable story of how various cultures mixed and adapted what was pragmatic for their time and place.
Just an aside. I've read that the Cherokee as a whole were more welcoming of other peoples being added to their tribes. That they felt an affinity with the Irish, and Scottish because they also came from a tribal (clans) background as they did. So they had that in common. Also the Irish were despised for a long time. They were called White "N" word. I hate that word, and refuse to use it. I have lots of Irish in my background.

"United States
The term was applied to Irish immigrants to the United States and their descendants. The Irish were also nicknamed "Negroes turned inside-out", while African Americans would be described as "smoked Irish".[9]

The status of the Irish became a topic of dark humour within the slave community of the United States. An anonymous quip attributed to an African-American said "My master is a great tyrant, he treats me like a common Irishman."[9] The White Anglo-Saxon Protestant (WASP) community within the United States believed that miscegenation would begin with the Irish and African-Americans, and in the 1850 United States Census, the term "mulatto" appeared for the first time to refer to mixed-race marriages between African-Americans and Irish. Despite WASP fears of an "alliance of the oppressed", most Irish-Americans never took part in the abolitionist movement,[9] though most Irish-Americans fought with the Union in the Civil War."

Link deleted. It didn't work because of that certain word.
---------------------------

Last edited by mlulu23; 07-16-2018 at 10:45 PM..

Old 07-17-2018, 06:55 AM

385 posts, read 324,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
If memory serves several powerful Indian landowners were in fact of mixed heritage and inherited estates which included slaves, some of those slaves were also Natives or descendants thereof. People are not aware of it but during the early colonial times there were a lot of Natives enslaved by Europeans.
I did a quick search of this thread by author's last name, and no one seems to have cited the following book:

Andres Resendez, The Other Slavery: The Uncovered Story of Indian Enslavement in America: https://smile.amazon.com/Other-Slave...ery+in+america

I read this book several years ago, and it is a heart-breaking chronicle of centuries of Native American enslavement, right up to the lingering persistence of debt peonage in the twentieth century. It was written by a history professor and is very readable.

We can only wish that the major period of Native enslavement had been confined to the early colonial period.

Old 07-17-2018, 10:01 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Slavery was ubiquitous.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:40 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
The U.S. was built on a mix of colonialism, slavery, discrimination (racial, ethnic, socio-political, etc,), and inter-tribal conflict, among other things like greed. Many other nations were built on similar foundations. So, why an SJW liberal choose to single out the U.S. on such is beyond me.

Old 07-17-2018, 01:54 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Many cultures all over the planet had slaves of one sort or another throughout time.

MightyQueen81 got it exactly. Its part of the human condition to seperate "us vs. them". Once something or someone is a "them", whether its color, gender, ethnicity or economic differences, they are just a resource. Pretty common. We humans are not very nice. Its why we have to have laws with consequences.

Here is a more modern version.

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-story/524490/
What a touching, complex and startling story. Thank you so much for sharing. Nothing is simple....

Old 07-17-2018, 02:06 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Let's get over the "whites had slaves, Indians were pure" etc.

ALL RACES ALL CULTURES practiced slavery. The gibberish and agitprop "taught" in today's schools is just more liberal guilt-tripping and trashing whites. One small item to observe: no white folks, no Western Civilization. Use your imagination at what the world would look like.

Get over it. This is pure pot-stirring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History