Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:53 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times

Advertisements

I thought this would be kinda of cool but what's your favorate imperial or royal palace thru out history in any country or empire thats ever existed.

(Like the Kremlin has been around since the 1300's to 1400's for example.)

My favorate is the Palatine Hill or Emperial Palace of Rome where the first emperor Augustus first built it and later emperors added on to it as well some lived in other cities like Milan or Ravenna.

Here's a link of some pictures of the Great Roman Imperial Palce of what still exists today.
Imperial Palace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 04:48 PM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Very nice pictures..
I'd like to see Aachen and Chateau de Coucy.. I had a list going of alot more, and now it's gone Will find it,though and add them!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:07 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
I love the chateaux of the Loire.

My favorite:

LVO, Chambord Chateau, Chambord castle

Chateaux Chambord

Old 03-31-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Very nice pictures..
I'd like to see Aachen and Chateau de Coucy.. I had a list going of alot more, and now it's gone Will find it,though and add them!
Are these your favorate ....Charlemagne's Palace TrudyRose??

Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
I love the chateaux of the Loire.

My favorite:

LVO, Chambord Chateau, Chambord castle

Chateaux Chambord
I checked the link but who was the main King or Count or Knight etc...who lived ther CMMom......

Old 03-31-2008, 07:42 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,860,047 times
Default Francois I

I believe that it was initially built as a "hunting lodge" for Francois I (King of France at the same time as Henry VIII-early 1500's). He apparently only visited it about 7 times. It was considered impractical to heat, and was kept completely unfurnished. The entourage brought everything including furniture, wall hangings, and all food (except for game such as deer) when they arrived.

I've been to visit and it is incredible, if a bit cold and drafty. The double-helix staircase is quite amazing...

Old 03-31-2008, 10:51 PM

286 posts, read 1,322,443 times
Vienna has two beautiful imperial palaces - from the Hapsburgs. The main one is Schloss Schonbrunn. It was the imperial home from the mid 1600's until the fall of the family in 1918. The other is Schloss Belvedere, which has amazing gardens. I don't think Belvedere started as an imperial palace, but was acquired later on. When you walk through Schonbrunn, it's hard to imagine people actually lived there.

The other great castle to go see is Neuschwanstein, in Bavaria. Mad King Ludwig II bankrupted the Bavarian treasury building this castle on the top of a hill, overlooking his childhood home at Hohenschwangau. My favorite part (aside from the gold throne room) was the door for unwanted guests. It was a sheer drop off the cliff! It's also the castle used as the inspiration for Disney's Cinderella Castle.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:58 AM

I'd also like to see Lindsfarne.. or what's left of it!

Old 04-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Are these your favorate ....Charlemagne's Palace TrudyRose??
Yes! Been having a slight problem with this site.. seems OK now.. all I had for 2 days were only 2 posts

Old 04-01-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
Vienna has two beautiful imperial palaces - from the Hapsburgs. The main one is Schloss Schonbrunn. It was the imperial home from the mid 1600's until the fall of the family in 1918. The other is Schloss Belvedere, which has amazing gardens. I don't think Belvedere started as an imperial palace, but was acquired later on. When you walk through Schonbrunn, it's hard to imagine people actually lived there.

The other great castle to go see is Neuschwanstein, in Bavaria. Mad King Ludwig II bankrupted the Bavarian treasury building this castle on the top of a hill, overlooking his childhood home at Hohenschwangau. My favorite part (aside from the gold throne room) was the door for unwanted guests. It was a sheer drop off the cliff! It's also the castle used as the inspiration for Disney's Cinderella Castle.
I was at both of them!! We rode up to Neuschwanstein in the horse drawn carriage...I could not bear to look over the edge!!! I have a fear of heights I really liked the old castle...did you see the cavern with the Roman tub? I could just picture myself there bathing in the summer...next time I'd like to see some of the older, historical castles. But it was just such a beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History