Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 12:46 PM

24,729 posts, read 9,529,408 times

Advertisements

I was thinking about the long history of the isolated Sentinelese tribe. I'm surprised they've been able to survive throughout history with little to no modern medicine or science, but reportedly their population is anywhere from a dozen people to hundreds of them.

Save for any tpe of invasion or colonization, are all isolated tribes destined for extinction? It certainly seems there is just a matter of time before a "western germ/bacteria" makes contact and wrecks havoc or a possible tsunami hits in such areas like it did several years ago for those living on islands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2018, 01:56 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,721,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
I was thinking about the long history of the isolated Sentinelese tribe. I'm surprised they've been able to survive throughout history with little to no modern medicine or science, but reportedly their population is anywhere from a dozen people to hundreds of them.

Save for any tpe of invasion or colonization, are all isolated tribes destined for extinction? It certainly seems there is just a matter of time before a "western germ/bacteria" makes contact and wrecks havoc or a possible tsunami hits in such areas like it did several years ago for those living on islands.
Yes, I would say so.

If not a pathogen or a natural disaster then a cultural intrusion. Maybe a new Indian government changes its policies, or the tribe for whatever reason alters its 'kill all outsiders' policy. It won't take much, and there's no going back once it happens.

Modernization - and by that I mean everything dating back to the advent of agriculture and civilization - leads increasingly towards a homogeneous world.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:15 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,847,092 times
Humanity itself is destined for extinction... all things change and no human society or even species of life remains the same forever.

Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 PM

37,170 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post

Here's a calculation for you:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...rs-calculated/

"The 'magic number' of people needed to create a viable population for multi-generational space travel has been calculated by researchers. It is about the size of a small village – 160. But with some social engineering it might even be possible to halve this to 80."

That gives us a ballpark number we could apply to any isolated group. Of course, it would assume a certain level of medical care available.

What we don't know is the social structure of the Sentinelese. For example, could they have a clan structure that prevents inbreeding? I suspect the Sentinelese have survived many natural disasters.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:32 AM

8,510 posts, read 6,928,832 times
Universally humankind has been close to extinction many times through our evolution in this world. Natural disaster, famine, diseases like the influenza and the black death. Not to mention devastating global war and genocide. Perhaps in the end one final twist of fate or catastrophe will wipe us out just as effectively as some isolated tribe struggling to survive.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:08 PM

12,199 posts, read 7,247,154 times
Life is full of irony. Wouldn't surprise me that some kind of cataclysmic disaster befalls the world's civilization and the lone survivors end up being these isolated tribes.

Old 12-01-2018, 03:27 PM

16,131 posts, read 10,805,118 times
If an isolated tribe lives in a place with some sort of resources that civilization wants they are doomed, or at least their isolated life and culture are doomed. Once Karaoke arrives, all is lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History