Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2019, 11:49 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,269,185 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine bought a .410 Mossberg 500 shotgun in preparation for the unrest that would surely follow Y2K. He loaded it and pumped a round into the chamber. He couldn't figure out how to unlock the action to unload it, so that round stayed there for years, with the action cocked, until he brought it to our friend Mike's place where he was finally able to shoot the gun for the first time.,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2019, 12:21 PM

11,123 posts, read 7,188,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
A friend of mine bought a .410 Mossberg 500 shotgun in preparation for the unrest that would surely follow Y2K. He loaded it and pumped a round into the chamber. He couldn't figure out how to unlock the action to unload it, so that round stayed there for years, with the action cocked, until he brought it to our friend Mike's place where he was finally able to shoot the gun for the first time.,
That there sure is a purty storie. Damm neer brot a teer to my eyez.

Old 09-25-2019, 12:58 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,715,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
That's nothing.

The prepper/coworker I mentioned in my previous post in this thread added multiple firearms to his already-substantial arsenal, stockpiled food and ammunition, and bought a 50-gallon drum of gasoline. Oh, and iodine pills - he thought popping a few of them would save him when the two nuclear power plants in the vicinity inevitably melted down. He thought the glitch would lead to social collapse and he was going to have to fend off the unprepared masses to protect his horde of supplies.

Frankly, I think he was more than a little disappointed that nothing happened...

Old 09-25-2019, 01:55 PM

8,500 posts, read 6,913,511 times
Wow so many years ago. Back in my office cubicle days. Lots of speculation fringing on some kind of tech Armageddon. Nothing happened.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:44 PM

15,494 posts, read 7,529,453 times
The company I worked for at the time did some testing, and then spent $180 million to remediate all the systems that would fail to function correctly. They started 3 years in advance, and no one had to work overtime for the main event. Without the $180 million, no suppliers would be paid, no royalty owners would be paid, some chemical plants would have shut down, etc. There was some over hyping, but there were definitely systems that had to be fixed.

Old 09-25-2019, 05:36 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,684,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The real problem would have been a 1980 problem. That was the year zero of all the Microsoft Excel and Access date and time numbering systems.
Except that Microsoft Excel and Access didn't exist in 1980.

Regarding Y2K, most organizations went overboard. Some did very little. There were a few organizations that had major issues but they didn't publicize their problems. Organizations like hospitals and public corporations didn't want the public to know they had not prepared. I was aware of a hospital that filled buckets with water all over the building in case the toilets couldn't flush.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:09 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,974,634 times
"Any Y2K stories or memories?"
yes.
three.

1. bought $900 of .22LR in 1999. sold some during the Obama shortage for ~$4000 and bartered some for laptops, etc.
2. got a generator. it has been a "champ" after power failed due to weather (hurricanes, etc.).
3. had some future medical issues taken care of (preventive dentistry, hysterectomy, etc.).

bottom line: Y2K got us motivated to take control of what we could.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:42 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,855,356 times
We're not out of the woods yet, folks. Think of millions of cans of food and water now rusting through ready to release their contaminated contents into the environment from all those who believed the stories of the collapse of our food supply systems and loaded up on stuff they have not touched since they got it. I'm talking things like botulism, hantavirus and the plague brought about by rodents attacking those supplies in their now failing containers. Doomed! I say we're doomed!

Old 09-26-2019, 07:21 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,916,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
We're not out of the woods yet, folks. Think of millions of cans of food and water now rusting through ready to release their contaminated contents into the environment from all those who believed the stories of the collapse of our food supply systems and loaded up on stuff they have not touched since they got it. I'm talking things like botulism, hantavirus and the plague brought about by rodents attacking those supplies in their now failing containers. Doomed! I say we're doomed!
The prepper mindset lives on. And fact we have an entire forum on it here in CityData...still full of threads saying the world as we know it is about to end. And don't go in there disagreeing with them, they take it seriously.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:13 AM

8,096 posts, read 7,467,481 times
We have a rental apartment on our property and in late December 1999 I saw our tenants coming home with jugs of water. "For Y2K" they explained, in case the water supply was disrupted. I informed them that the property's water was gravity-fed from a spring up the mountain and they had nothing to worry about!

There was so much misinformation out there, it was almost comical.

My favorite was the dire warning that "even your toaster" has a computer chip, and you were supposed to freak out, knowing that the toaster could start burning the toast because it thought the year was 1900. Like, even if the toaster has a computer chip why would it care what year it is? LOL

I work for a software company, and we had it well under control. In fact only a single, little-used report program had any issue after January 1, 2000 and that was fixed quickly with little or no impact to our users.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History