Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 05:41 PM

17,673 posts, read 17,865,957 times

Advertisements

OMG, it’s been 20 years since the hysteria and fear over Y2K!

My ex-wife and I were living together and cooking in the kitchen when we heard our kids crying. Because of where we lived at the time we only had access to one clear antenna channel. The kids had the TV on and it was a religious organization playing a doomsday program about Y2K showing all the things that is going to happen. It was followed by all the survival products you could order from them to help you survive. My ex-wife may be a devout Christian but she’s also a former sailor and a very angry protective mother. Can’t type here the words she used when she called that group.

At work the bosses were in a panic to backup all software. Some bosses even proposed extra staffing on New Year’s Eve saying the security was worth the extra holiday pay (either more sensible or more frugal minds prevailed). I was working that night. Midnight came and went with nothing happening.

Any Y2K stories or memories?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 06:32 PM

23,658 posts, read 70,695,104 times
The real problem would have been a 1980 problem. That was the year zero of all the Microsoft Excel and Access date and time numbering systems.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:37 PM

43,532 posts, read 18,601,835 times
I spent from June-December 1999 working overtime so that "nothing" happened on 1/1/2000
Many of the big tech companies joined forces and coordinated efforts to check code, get changes out as patches/fixes and also jumped into the Linux community to help.

And ..."nothing" is exactly what happened !!

Old 09-25-2019, 04:27 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,736,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

My ex-wife and I were living together and cooking in the kitchen when we heard our kids crying. Because of where we lived at the time we only had access to one clear antenna channel. The kids had the TV on and it was a religious organization playing a doomsday program about Y2K showing all the things that is going to happen. It was followed by all the survival products you could order from them to help you survive. My ex-wife may be a devout Christian but she’s also a former sailor and a very angry protective mother. Can’t type here the words she used when she called that group.

At work the bosses were in a panic to backup all software. Some bosses even proposed extra staffing on New Year’s Eve saying the security was worth the extra holiday pay (either more sensible or more frugal minds prevailed). I was working that night. Midnight came and went with nothing happening.

I worked in the data center for a major company at the time. It was a madhouse, and for the cherry on top? One of my coworkers was a prepper who - for the entire year - never shut up about the global catastrophe that he insisted was looming no matter what we did. He insisted that everything in the world with a computer chip in it would malfunction when the year rolled over. I vividly remember a surreal conversation in which I tried, with no success, to explain to him that, no, under no circumstances was my coffee-maker going to refuse to brew me coffee on the morning of January 1, 2000. He was adamant that it would not work.

His delusions also held that the government knew exactly what was going to happen and was concealing the truth to 'prevent panic' (I never could get him to logically explain why the government would prefer the even greater panic that would result if something was concealed and then happened, rather than issuing a forewarning that would at least allow some preparation for the supposedly inevitable, thereby mitigating some of the supposed panic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I spent from June-December 1999 working overtime so that "nothing" happened on 1/1/2000
Many of the big tech companies joined forces and coordinated efforts to check code, get changes out as patches/fixes and also jumped into the Linux community to help.

And ..."nothing" is exactly what happened !!
And nothing also happened for those companies that didn't prepare.

It was a minor problem. It's resolution was simple, although in many cases entailed annoyingly tedious fixes. The result? Some minor glitches. And it is worth remembering that there were industries and parts of the globe that did virtually nothing in preparation for Y2K and... in those industries and parts of the globe, the result was still just... some minor glitches.

99% of the cottage industry over Y2K was based not in solving any problems but on fanning the flames of hysteria in order to make money off said fear in a variety of shameless ways.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:52 AM

17,673 posts, read 17,865,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
I worked in the data center for a major company at the time. It was a madhouse, and for the cherry on top? One of my coworkers was a prepper who - for the entire year - never shut up about the global catastrophe that he insisted was looming no matter what we did. He insisted that everything in the world with a computer chip in it would malfunction when the year rolled over. I vividly remember a surreal conversation in which I tried, with no success, to explain to him that, no, under no circumstances was my coffee-maker going to refuse to brew me coffee on the morning of January 1, 2000. He was adamant that it would not work.

His delusions also held that the government knew exactly what was going to happen and was concealing the truth to 'prevent panic' (I never could get him to logically explain why the government would prefer the even greater panic that would result if something was concealed and then happened, rather than issuing a forewarning that would at least allow some preparation for the supposedly inevitable, thereby mitigating some of the supposed panic).

And nothing also happened for those companies that didn't prepare.

It was a minor problem. It's resolution was simple, although in many cases entailed annoyingly tedious fixes. The result? Some minor glitches. And it is worth remembering that there were industries and parts of the globe that did virtually nothing in preparation for Y2K and... in those industries and parts of the globe, the result was still just... some minor glitches.

99% of the cottage industry over Y2K was based not in solving any problems but on fanning the flames of hysteria in order to make money off said fear in a variety of shameless ways.
When the first report about the possibility of Y2K came up I grabbed my VCR, set the date and time to 12/31/99 12:55pm. Did the same with my desktop and my VHS camcorder. Nothing happened. At work I took reasonable precautions. I worked in a hospital boiler room monitoring the fire alarm system, HVAC system, and medical gas system. Should the electronics fail, there were manual overrides. Nothing happened.

Old 09-25-2019, 07:58 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,969,324 times
I was yet another worker caught up in the Y2K hysteria and watched as consultants were hired, IT working overtime, controls put in place - which turned out to be a whole lot of nothing.
I guess if nothing else lots of IT consultants make some money, I almost wonder if the hysteria was a self-serving non-existent crises created by the IT industry just for that purpose.

Old 09-25-2019, 09:20 AM

11,208 posts, read 7,265,597 times
As a computers/technology guy, I knew all along that the Y2K stuff was nonsense. I told everybody I could ahead of time too. And sure enough, nothing major happened, just as I suspected.

But of others? People were and are gullible and inclined to freak out, rather than research and think for themselves. If anything, people are even more gullible and easily led by opinions swirling around them now. I rarely ever see a person immune to the daily nonsense, and instead exhibiting a brain in control and disciplined, and only focused on and seeking out truth.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:10 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,843,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post

Yeah, and I'll be forever pissed.
I worked my whole career in computer programming and systems design and the hysteria that this little issue provoked still angers me. I knew it was gonna be a big nothing burger because people didn't realize what a truly trivial 'problem' this presented.
Sure, a few programs might be bugged, but no one (except us professionals) knew that PROGRAMS BOMB AND SCREW UP EVERY NIGHT, EVERYWHERE!
And they always will..so we fix them.

But to manage public perception we, as a Fortune 500 BANK, were required to spend boatloads of money to 'prepare' for a trivial problem that was easily remedied.
And I had to be on call for New Years Eve that night.. and my birthday is January First. Phµ©k!!

Old 09-25-2019, 11:18 AM

3,349 posts, read 1,843,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I was yet another worker caught up in the Y2K hysteria and watched as consultants were hired, IT working overtime, controls put in place - which turned out to be a whole lot of nothing.
I guess if nothing else lots of IT consultants make some money, I almost wonder if the hysteria was a self-serving non-existent crises created by the IT industry just for that purpose.
Nope.
It was pure MEDIA HYPE.

Old 09-25-2019, 11:41 AM

11,208 posts, read 7,265,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
Nope.
It was pure MEDIA HYPE.
True, it was for news "value" and news "gain". $ensationalism $ells!

And the truth?.... eh, that's unfortunately boring in comparison, and isn't what many want deep-down. People want thrills and emotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History