Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 03:20 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
T
A proper response but doesn't really fly anymore is we just use special forces to track down and kill all his family and those involved. Would've been far more cost effective and made a better point.
That's what Israel typically does, to great effect. They invaded no one after the Olympic massacre outrage, but eventually tracked down and killed all of the "Black September" attackers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 03:53 AM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Then why did Hitler need so badly to eliminate Jewry that it took recourse to "a last resort for the Nazies of eliminating the Jews from Europe." Why did he need Europe to be Judenrein?
Germany had lost the first world war, and a political leader wanting to expand Germany through another war would have had opponents. So he needed a common enemy, and the Jews were the unfortunate scapegoats.

Old 10-27-2021, 04:17 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,605,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
And what, you think 9/11 is where I draw the line when it comes to discussing nuance? I think it’s well known that one man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter. (I personally don’t view Al-Qaeda as freedom fighters)

That being said Al-Qaeda’s goal with the 9-11 attack was to provoke the US and it’s western allies to invade a Muslim country, fight a war of attrition until the US has to back out due to it’s collapsing economy, and in the process unite the Muslim world and evict western influences from the Middle East and open the flood gates for Muslim refugees to out populate the westerners in their own countries, so far it seems like everything is playing out as planned, except for maybe the monkey wrench that Russia through in Syria, preventing the secular government from collapsing and preventing an Islamic state from setting up shop there.
Nevertheless, this thread is about "massacres", and nothing came anywhere near a massacre proportions until it got Donald Rumsfeld's attention. Al-Qaeda-s actio was a simple skyjacking, until building code violations brought down a building where employees had been told to ignore alarms and go back their desks.

Old 10-27-2021, 10:05 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,933,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Nevertheless, this thread is about "massacres", and nothing came anywhere near a massacre proportions until it got Donald Rumsfeld's attention. Al-Qaeda-s actio was a simple skyjacking, until building code violations brought down a building where employees had been told to ignore alarms and go back their desks.
That’s the first time I heard that so I can’t deny or affirm your claim, but not sure what any of that has to do with Trump? Last I remember it was Bush that got us in the war, not Trump, and Obama continued the war as well.

Now when it comes to the definition of massacre, it was always thought it had the connotation that it was not just a large group of people dying, but that they were slaughtered at the hands of other people in a short amount of time. So I think the best example would be when the Mongols sieged Baghdad in 1258 and slaughtered anywhere from 200,000 to 2,000,0000 civilians depending on which sources. Bombings on the other hand I’m not constitute as “slaughter” at least I never heard of butchers using bombs to kill cows?

Old 10-27-2021, 11:02 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,605,486 times
I think you misread Trump for Rumsfeld, the butcher of Baghdad.

Re: the definition of massacre. I think of it as a quick massive, orchestrated attack on particular individuals, each killed by trauma at close quarters. Like Rwanda and Burundi, with over 100,000 hacked to death by machetes, in a few days. Try to visualize that.

Old 10-28-2021, 12:05 AM

1,348 posts, read 626,244 times
Quote:

Re: the definition of massacre. I think of it as a quick massive, orchestrated attack on particular individuals, each killed by trauma at close quarters. Like Rwanda and Burundi, with over 100,000 hacked to death by machetes, in a few days. Try to visualize that.
The events of St. Bartholomew's Night immediately come to mind.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:24 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,933,827 times
Quote:
I think you misread Trump for Rumsfeld, the butcher of Baghdad.

Yes you are correct, I feel like an idiot now, the 24/7 media obsession with Trump has forever made me associate the name Donald with Trump, sorry about that. And yes I agree with your definition. As horrible as bombings, starvation, gassing etc. it’s not on the same level of brutality as the examples you stated.

Old 10-28-2021, 03:23 AM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
Batman Forever?

Old 10-28-2021, 08:05 AM
KCZ

4,677 posts, read 3,671,743 times
There was another huge massacre that we rarely discuss, although it's probably not the kind that the OP had in mind, namely "The Great Dying." This refers to the killing of 90+% of the native American population by the diseases that the early European explorers brought to the Americas...smallpox, measles, influenza, and bubonic plague. Having never been in contact with those pathogens before, the native Americans had no immunity. A recent study looked at population figures using several different methodologies, as opposed to using anecdotal estimates by the Spanish, and concluded that ~55M people died. The subsequent reforestation of farmland due to the depletion of farmers produced a drop in CO2 sufficient to cause a global cooling period (all documented in the carbon record, which is a bit outside the scope of this thread).

Intended, no. Devastating to the victims, yes.

https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-01-...ion-and-caused
https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...77379118307261

Old 10-28-2021, 08:47 AM

35,081 posts, read 17,033,734 times
It seems to me that this thread has degenerated into an apologia for the September 11 attackers. In my view there is no question that was a massacre. The biggest in history? I doubt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History