Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2022, 07:14 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,758,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Are you referring to Sugihara? In Israel, he is recognized as one of the Righteous Among the Nations.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...jews-lithuania
No. I had not read this story. Thanks for posting. Google "Shanghai Ghetto" or watch it on Netflix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2022, 03:56 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Are you referring to Sugihara? In Israel, he is recognized as one of the Righteous Among the Nations.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...jews-lithuania
Also Ho Feng-Shan, a Chinese (not Japanese) diplomat that allowed many Jews to immigrate to Shanghai by issuing tens of thousand of visas for Jews living in Austria before Japan occupation.
Note these are good people that defied the authorities to save lives. Don't thank the WWII era Empire of Japan. They did NOTHING good for the world. But there were individuals in Japan (and Germany) that stood up to the horror that both the Japan and Germany leaders inflicted on the world.

Old 04-22-2022, 01:47 PM

4,195 posts, read 1,599,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Also Ho Feng-Shan, a Chinese (not Japanese) diplomat that allowed many Jews to immigrate to Shanghai by issuing tens of thousand of visas for Jews living in Austria before Japan occupation.
Note these are good people that defied the authorities to save lives. Don't thank the WWII era Empire of Japan. They did NOTHING good for the world. But there were individuals in Japan (and Germany) that stood up to the horror that both the Japan and Germany leaders inflicted on the world.

and these things give me hope that mankind just might not blow itself up slim hope, but hope

Old 04-22-2022, 04:46 PM

958 posts, read 1,105,271 times
you mean Imperial Japan during WW 11
Nothing
Should have dropped the third one. [ yes there was one read to go. ]

Old 04-22-2022, 05:50 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The Japanese Empire did nothing good before and during WWII. Nothing.
They did one good thing. They launched a sneak attack against Pearl Harbor. In so doing, they guaranteed for themselves their complete and utter destruction, and the consequent transition of Japan from a stain on humanity to a valued, contributing member of the world community.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:00 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,668,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://www.harvard-yenching.org/res...to-earthquake/
The above incident didn’t improve my view of the Japanese of that era. I’m 53 and never learned about this in school. Came across this through a fantasy Japanese anime set in the period of the earthquake. Of course they never made mention of their slaughter the Koreans and anyone they believed were Koreans. I was curious if this earthquake happened because of the disclaimer of it being a work of fiction and they telltale repeated showing of the date and time. I found out this earthquake happened and also found out what they did following the earthquake.
You didn't learn about it most likely because, like me, you were in school when everything was Eurocentric. My father was in Hiroshima after the bomb was dropped, but to hear anything about the Pacific theatre was virtually impossible in high school at the time. Everything was about Hitler. The slaughter of Koreans, horrible as I'm sure it was, paled in comparison to the Nanjing Massacre in China in 1937. More people died there in one day than in any other place, anywhere in history. In any event, the Japanese were really "misdirected" in that era.

Old 04-26-2022, 07:54 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,593,936 times
Well, the Japanese challenged the conventional wisdom that Asia belonged to non-Asian colonists, the British, French, Dutch and Americans. That might be thought of as an idea whose time had come.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:03 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Well, the Japanese challenged the conventional wisdom that Asia belonged to non-Asian colonists, the British, French, Dutch and Americans. That might be thought of as an idea whose time had come.
They branded their empire under the benign name of the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere." If they had actually lived up to that name, and kicked out the white colonizers and peacefully led East Asia as a group of equals, they'd probably be the dominant power in that region to this day. But instead, after they kicked out the white colonizers, they oppressed the other countries so horribly that when their former colonizers returned, they were greeted as liberators. I'd put this under "Something that was good in theory but horrible in practice."

Old 04-26-2022, 02:04 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
They didn't challenge it, they simply replaced it. Asia instead of belonging to non-Asian colonist, belonged to the Empire of Japan. They simply replaced one imperialistic center with another much more brutal one.

The "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere" mentioned above was a slight of hand trick, a slogan used to justify war. It wasn't liberation in Asia, it was occupation and subjection in Asia. I am not even sure if the original concept was sincere. I find it hard to beleive, as the precursor "New Order in East Asia" conceived in 1938, was created while Japan was already on it's murderous march in China and Manchuria.

Old 04-26-2022, 04:59 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
The British, Dutch and the French basically exploited natural resources, segregated and practiced neglect of the their subjects. The Japanese were engaged in mass murder, torture and and an Asia wide system of forced prostitution of women under their control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History