Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 04:44 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
They branded their empire under the benign name of the "Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere." If they had actually lived up to that name, and kicked out the white colonizers and peacefully led East Asia as a group of equals, they'd probably be the dominant power in that region to this day. But instead, after they kicked out the white colonizers, they oppressed the other countries so horribly that when their former colonizers returned, they were greeted as liberators. I'd put this under "Something that was good in theory but horrible in practice."
Nobody ever said great liberators become great administrators. They are two different skills. Revolution is not as pretty. as we expect reconstruction to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2022, 04:53 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,880,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Nobody ever said great liberators become great administrators. They are two different skills. Revolution is not as pretty. as we expect reconstruction to be.
What are you even talking about? The Empire of Japan were not liberators nor revolutionist.

Old 04-28-2022, 10:33 AM

35,006 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Also Ho Feng-Shan, a Chinese (not Japanese) diplomat that allowed many Jews to immigrate to Shanghai by issuing tens of thousand of visas for Jews living in Austria before Japan occupation.
Note these are good people that defied the authorities to save lives. Don't thank the WWII era Empire of Japan. They did NOTHING good for the world. But there were individuals in Japan (and Germany) that stood up to the horror that both the Japan and Germany leaders inflicted on the world.
I will tell you one good thing that they did; forced that traitor FDR to join the war.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:05 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,404,476 times
The one good thing that the Japanese Empire did in WW2 was that they surrendered, negating the need for the US to mount an invasion of the home islands.

Old 04-29-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The one good thing that the Japanese Empire did in WW2 was that they surrendered, negating the need for the US to mount an invasion of the home islands.
Okinawa was bad enough.

Old 04-30-2022, 06:10 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,299 times
I had a good friend who was mounting up for the invasion of Japan. He was Harry Truman's "number one fan" for dropping the bombs.
I've never seen anyone refer to FDR as a "traitor".

Old 04-30-2022, 10:47 AM

8,478 posts, read 6,880,671 times
The traitor tag is I think the long standing revisionist history among some authors and others that Roosevelt wanted to go to war with Japan and let Pearl Harbor happen by deliberately withholding classified intelligence about an attack on Pearl Harbor.

Old 04-30-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
I had a good friend who was mounting up for the invasion of Japan. He was Harry Truman's "number one fan" for dropping the bombs.
I've never seen anyone refer to FDR as a "traitor".
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
The traitor tag is I think the long standing revisionist history among some authors and others that Roosevelt wanted to go to war with Japan and let Pearl Harbor happen by deliberately withholding classified intelligence about an attack on Pearl Harbor.
That is not my theory at all. FDR took his sweet time going to war while Stalin and Hitler were buddies. He had a fascination with appeasing Stalin; we are still paying for it in the way the UN was set up and the manner in winch decolonization proceeded. Basically he was dragged into the war kicking and screaming.

Old 05-01-2022, 10:49 AM

8,478 posts, read 6,880,671 times
Well the main reason why Roosevelt didn’t go to war was a very real isolationist movement not to get involved in another European war. Nothing traitorous about it at all. Politicians always are sensitive to public opinion.
They go where the political winds blow. To call him a traitor is wildly inaccurate.

Old 05-01-2022, 04:00 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,759,299 times
We've strayed from the original theme of this thread but I've always felt FDR and Churchill knew the attack was coming. I also believe that Yamamoto knew he had been sucked in when all three carriers just happened to be gone at the time of the attack.
It was the only way the American public would allow FDR to get into the war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History