Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 02:35 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post

I, too, thought of Judas. He was a man of great ability and promise, but serious character defects led to his tragic fall. Of the twelve disciples he may have been the most gifted, but ambition and greed overcame his rational thinking. He is certainly one of history's most tragic figures.
On what are you basing your judgment of Judas as a "man of ability and promise" and the "most gifted" of the apostles? In the synoptic gospels, Judas is hardly on the radar at all save for the story of his betrayal. We learn that he was the bag man for the outfit in that he handled the group's treasury, is it your assumption that whichever apostle had that job also had to have been the brightest? Mathew had been a tax collector, so I would think that he could have done the job just as well.

If we go by one of the gospels condemned by the church as blasphemy, we learn in the Gospel of Judas that the betrayal was actually a request by Jesus, enlisting the aid of Judas to facilitate the desired arrest. In the Gospel of Barnabas we learn that it was Judas who was crucified, not Jesus.

Some modern gospels scholars have taken the position that Judas was a literary invention of the synoptic gospel writers and did not actually ever exist.

We do not know how reliable any of the above information is, and among what information we do have, it tells us very little about what Judas was like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 02:41 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Dr. Kavorkian. A century ahead of his time in America, and days ahead of his time in the rest of the world. Sent to the Gulag.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:44 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Very much agree with the above. I view him as a martyred by irrationality.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:32 PM

Actually, Kavorkian was the second person I thought of. The first was William Kunstler. He kept the rapists of the constituion on their toes, who then paid him the compliment of letting him live and die in mild and obscure ignominy.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:51 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
For a tragic hero, I would like to cast a vote for Benigno Aquino. He was returning to the Philippines from exile, and there were great hopes for him as a leader of the democratic movement in opposition to Fernando Marcos. He stepped off his plane...and was assassinated. Tough to be a more tragic historical figure than that.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:06 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Heartless View Post

But of course! Sweet justice, got to love it.
Since history doesn't know Gen. Aetius actual birthday to celebrate it then i'll celebrate march 16th (day after ides of march) as that's when Emperor Valentinian III was assassinated .

Old 01-07-2009, 09:31 AM

616 posts, read 1,162,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
On what are you basing your judgment of Judas as a "man of ability and promise" and the "most gifted" of the apostles? In the synoptic gospels, Judas is hardly on the radar at all save for the story of his betrayal. We learn that he was the bag man for the outfit in that he handled the group's treasury, is it your assumption that whichever apostle had that job also had to have been the brightest? Mathew had been a tax collector, so I would think that he could have done the job just as well.

If we go by one of the gospels condemned by the church as blasphemy, we learn in the Gospel of Judas that the betrayal was actually a request by Jesus, enlisting the aid of Judas to facilitate the desired arrest. In the Gospel of Barnabas we learn that it was Judas who was crucified, not Jesus.

Some modern gospels scholars have taken the position that Judas was a literary invention of the synoptic gospel writers and did not actually ever exist.

We do not know how reliable any of the above information is, and among what information we do have, it tells us very little about what Judas was like.

Tragic and beloved It is hard to believe that Judas Iscariot could have ever been considered the latter, but everyone is entitled to their opinion IMO-lol! He most definitely fits the word, tragic.

As far as elevation to the status of hero, I dunno. Well, let me see, one could very well argue that had Judas not instigated the arrest of Jesus, the crucifiction would never have happened?

Does anyone wish to open that can of worms? Not I!

Last edited by Truly Heartless; 01-07-2009 at 09:41 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 10:13 AM

Where would the Christian faith be, without Judas and Pontius to set the stage? How would Christ have died for your sins, without their essential agency? Judas and Pontius were the two most important mortals in the history of the dissemination of truth and enlightenment. One could even argue that God singled them out them to do their work, according to His plan. Which puts them right up there with the also-beloved George W. Bush.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,403,376 times
Let's not dwell too much on Judas and religion.... I'm sure there are many more tragic figures...How about Hemmingway??? Brilliant author and a tragic personal life???

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM

616 posts, read 1,162,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Where would the Christian faith be, without Judas and Pontius to set the stage? How would Christ have died for your sins, without their essential agency? Judas and Pontius were the two most important mortals in the history of the dissemination of truth and enlightenment. One could even argue that God singled them out them to do their work, according to His plan. Which puts them right up there with the also-beloved George W. Bush.

And Adolph Hitler And explains why we mere mortals keep on asking the question, why? of this creator and His creation. I'm stumped! Now we see through a glass darkly...

I admit, I'm ticked about the whole thing (creation and the subsequent fiasco ) but that is fodder for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History