Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:08 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,459,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I think it was more of a case of ''adrenaline overflow'' for his reaction to get there as fast as he could although he did post extra lookouts on the bow to spot for icebergs.
He hardly had much choice, not unless he wanted to become a public pariah with a ruined career. Mariners are expected to go to one anothers' rescue, even at personal risk and risk to their own vessels. If he failed to do so with all haste, public opinion would never have excused him.

I honestly think the Carpathia's captain was motivated by courage and decency, and was surrounded by good enough men to work his will. But there's always the fact of what he would have later faced had he done otherwise. "Well, I was afraid that we too might hit an iceberg" would have gone over like a ***** in church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 08:17 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
This was really an interesting thread. Thanks for posting it.
I agree as i learned quite a bit between the Nat Geo show and the thread here.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 4,938 times
Default Carpathia copy of broadcast

Hi.....today was the 2nd time I have missed the Carpathia broadcast and for the 2nd time, I have emailed NatGeo to give me a future broadcast date. However, I thought I would ask if anyone recorded the broadcast and could make a copy for me? Personal use only, residential TV watcher only. Thanks so much!!

David
davidsin62@comcast.net

Old 01-06-2010, 01:33 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,653 times
As Avalon Hill once noted the difference between heroes and the crazy is often a well placed bullet (or ice berg) He was very heroic, that often involves huge risks and luck.

As reflected in the various movies about the ship there was at least one ship closer that ignored Titanics distress calls. Why is not entirely clear to me; I have heard the newness of the SOS distress morse code and the radio officer on that being asleep offered as explanation.

The late 19th century and early 20th was the zenith of the view that well designed machines could do anything. Thus the hubris that led to its destruction. Moving at night through ice fields is less than clever.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:40 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Titanic's two sister ships should be remembered too. The Olympic and the Brittanic.

Olympic sailed for many years and it's worst accident was striking a lighthouse ship, with the loss of 7 passengers. She also ran down and sank a German U-boat during WWI. After many years of steady service (her nickname was "Old Reliable,") she went to the bone yard.

Brittanic, however, was not so lucky. Her construction included several improvements because of what happened to Titanic, including a double hull, but it wasn't enough. Drafted into military service as a hospital ship before ever entering service as a luxury liner, she struck a mine in the Aegean Sea (some contend it was torpedoed) and sank. Had she been on a return trip instead of outbound for the war area, she would have been crammed with wounded soldiers and the loss of life would have rivaled, or exceeded, Titanic.

The wreckage was located many years ago and she's now the property of the British government, still lying on her side in about 150 ft of water.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:35 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Titanic's two sister ships should be remembered too. The Olympic and the Brittanic.

Olympic sailed for many years and it's worst accident was striking a lighthouse ship, with the loss of 7 passengers. She also ran down and sank a German U-boat during WWI. After many years of steady service (her nickname was "Old Reliable,") she went to the bone yard.

Brittanic, however, was not so lucky. Her construction included several improvements because of what happened to Titanic, including a double hull, but it wasn't enough. Drafted into military service as a hospital ship before ever entering service as a luxury liner, she struck a mine in the Aegean Sea (some contend it was torpedoed) and sank. Had she been on a return trip instead of outbound for the war area, she would have been crammed with wounded soldiers and the loss of life would have rivaled, or exceeded, Titanic.

The wreckage was located many years ago and she's now the property of the British government, still lying on her side in about 150 ft of water.
I've been interested in Titanic's sister ships too. If only they hadn't scrapped the Olympic... what a tourist attraction that would have made.

The Brittanic is actually in about 350 ft of water, near the limit for scuba diving but supposedly is in rather good shape, considering.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:35 PM

Yes, Britannic is in the deeper water. I knew that Simon was no longer the owner of the ship, but did not know that the British gov't had bought it. Interesting. And, the Greek gov't controls any and all diving on the wreck......wonder how that works having two governments trying to work together on that???

Old 01-07-2010, 12:31 PM

1,308 posts, read 2,865,653 times
I think the British government owns her because they took over the ship in wartime from the owners.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:46 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,621,897 times
The last words ever heard from the Titanic were to Carpathia at 1:45 a.m. in which the radio message reported that ''the engineroom has filled up to the boilers'' and after that silence forever and at 2:20 a.m. (35 minutes later) she went under.

Sad we can't walk the decks of the Carpathia today as a floating museum as that would be such an ''nostalgia trip''

Old 01-07-2010, 07:41 PM

Still no one that might have copied the show the other day? I so want to see this historical and unique feature on the Carpathia. Thanks to anyone who can make me a copy.

Dave
davidsin62@comcast.net
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History