Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 06:28 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times

Advertisements

Don't want to "out-do" John 1960.. but saw this article and thought it was interesting
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Sussex | Pair unearth Saxon burial remains
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:23 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
Don't want to "out-do" John 1960.. but saw this article and thought it was interesting
BBC NEWS | UK | England | Sussex | Pair unearth Saxon burial remains
I wonder if they will do a DNA on the skeletal remains and use it to compare those of english ancestry to see how much Saxon is in them.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 AM

I would think they would do DNA if possible.. maybe they could shed more light on things.. They did it before on Cheddar Man and found his "cousin"!!
Cheddar Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-07-2009, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trudeyrose View Post
I would think they would do DNA if possible.. maybe they could shed more light on things.. They did it before on Cheddar Man and found his "cousin"!!
Cheddar Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I noticed that Cheddar Man was a ''hunter gatherer'' and ate fish and meat for about 4,000 years before agriculture in Britain as i wonder if this is why many with british blood like myself cannot tolerate grains as celiac is very high in the british/irish bloodlines.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:18 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
Yes 6 foot 3 I know a lot of people on gluton free diets, including myself.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:05 AM

And to think in 449 A.D. that 3 boats crossed the English Channel filled of Saxons and Jutes led by Horsa and Hengist speaking their little known ''old saxon'' tongue which would be the ancient beginnings of the most spoken and recognize language of the entire world 1,500 years later.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:26 AM

I have always had a fondness for Hengist and Horsa...(Stallion and Horse)..
There are several stories about them and the feud at the banquet that led to them leaving..there are also a few other stories about Celtic warriors and 3 boats...I think they are in "The Isles" by Norman Davies...I will try to look it up later and post it, as it's quite interesting..

Old 02-13-2009, 12:28 PM

Kinda feel bad for the Britons (Brythons) as they were the indigenous Celts in England who invited those 3 boats of Saxons to help them fight the Picts (Scots) only to be overrun some years later by the Saxons and pushed west into what is now Wales.

What was interesting is that the Celtic Britons spoke alot of latin and had latin (roman) names back in the 400's since they were very close to and intermingled with the Romans stationed in Southern Britain for 450 years.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:49 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Kinda feel bad for the Britons (Brythons) as they were the indigenous Celts in England who invited those 3 boats of Saxons to help them fight the Picts (Scots) only to be overrun some years later by the Saxons and pushed west into what is now Wales.

What was interesting is that the Celtic Britons spoke alot of latin and had latin (roman) names back in the 400's since they were very close to and intermingled with the Romans stationed in Southern Britain for 450 years.
This is an interesting thing about our perception of history. Saxons displace Celts, etc, etc but the truth (that nobody wants to hear these days because it interferes with all sorts of romantic ideals and plain old prejudice) is that the whole Anglo-Saxon/Celts/Picts things just isn't true.

Trudeyrose had the nub of it with the Cheddar Man reference. DNA testing on Irish, Scottish, Welsh & English people show that (most) people have the same genetic origin and that in all probability ancient Britains came to the Islands from Southern Europe shortly after the last ice age ended & before the North Sea/English Channel formed and cut us off from the mainland.

England has had more immigration over the centuries so has more people who are not related to the Scots/Welsh/Irish but DNA doesn't lie. Sure, the development of the language is spot on and the conquering invader (Roman/Celt/Saxon/Norman) sets the pattern, but there were just too few of them to supplant the people who were already here in great numbers.

Not popular with the the jingoists, nationalists & xenophobes that infect every corner of these great islands but the truth none the less

By the way 6'3 this isn't a go at you, love your posts on this forum so please don't think I'm having a dig

Old 02-14-2009, 04:54 AM

Thumbs up Thanks Yorkie Bar

So in other words we're just plain ol' Cro-Mags .

Yeap i know that you can go back to the ancient Hunter Gatherer times when it comes to the British island and i assume the last ice age is when the large game herd made their way onto the island and i appreciate you pointing those early peoples out Yorkie Bar.

But when it comes to Britain my historical interest is with those early germanic and celtic peoples of northern europe and also the latins who were stationed there for some 500 years so when i'm talking about the early foundations of the british people it's usually the time era from the Roman age 50 B.C. to the Anglo/Saxon migrations around the 450's to the 500''s and 600's etc. and maybe that's do to the beginnings of my/our current spoken language as that has a strong tug at my heart to study it's early foundations.

Anyway thanks as always Yorkie Bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History