Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 12:22 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,033,859 times

Advertisements

The first historical event that left a big impression on me was when Ronald Reagan was shot. I was in junior high at the time and they sent us home early that day. I was stunned beyond words that the President had been shot and it was real scary because it was a while before we knew whether he had been killed or not and the news reports were sketchy at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 04:04 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Sputnik, I was 3 or 4 and my uncle took me out to see it late one night because it was supposed to be visible. Saw something going across he night sky. A few years later the Cuban Missile Crisis when we did the duck and cover in the school's basement.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:31 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,662,640 times
I mentioned this in another post. I was in middle school and my dad was a big history buff. We went to Gettysburg one summer and as commercial as the area has become, there are many areas that are still just as they were. We were on the edge of a big field with a pickett fence in front of an old farmhouse. The fence had mini shot holes all throughout the fence. I pictured in my 10 year old mind, a group of soldiers kneeling behind the fence with confederate soldiers firing at them.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:55 AM

4,751 posts, read 5,440,764 times
I have vague memories of John Lennon being shot, but I vividly remember Reagan being shot because it happened on my older brothers' birthday. Kind of sad, he was turning 9

Old 06-11-2009, 01:22 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobE View Post
When I was six, I was so oblivious that I didn't even know that JFK had been assassinated. However, the day of the funeral, I came home either from playing outside or from school, I can't remember which, and saw my mom crying while she watched it on television. I can still see the images from it in my mind (in black and white, of course). My mom explained to me what had happened, but I think I was more nonplussed than anything else. But it definitely left an impression of, "this is huge."

After that, it would be the various Gemini launches. I became pretty obsessed by what was going on with the space program during my elementary school years. Bobby Kennedy's assassination pretty much killed the buzz from that, though. This country seemed to be making so much great progress and then that happened.

So how about you?
The first one that I really remember was the Jonestown Massacre. I frightened me terribly.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:49 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
I always remember my parents talking about the Patty Hearst kidnapping and robberies in the early 70's. That's the earliest i remember hearing the term ''brainwashed'' . As for sports i remember the 1972 Miami Dolphins going 17-0 being the only team ever to go undefeated as that really influenced me to follow and play football through out my school years.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:04 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I always remember my parents talking about the Patty Hearst kidnapping and robberies in the early 70's. That's the earliest i remember hearing the term ''brainwashed'' . As for sports i remember the 1972 Miami Dolphins going 17-0 being the only team ever to go undefeated as that really influenced me to follow and play football through out my school years.
You've hot on a couple of things which were a big part of my life at a slightly older age. I grew up in Miami and attended all the Dolphin home games during their first four years when they stunk up the Orange Bowl. It was really exciting when they hired Shula, traded for Warfield, and turned things around in 1970, and then two years later pulled off the perfect season. This was my team, these were my boys etc.

Toward the end of the following year I moved to San Francisco and arrived not too long before the Patti Hearst snatching took place, so it was all local news for me. I never knew that they were there, but one of the hideouts that the SLA used for a time was on Turk street , just two blocks from where I was living at the time.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:08 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,378,123 times
The Fall of South Vietnam in April 1975. I would watch as the national news would show a map of South Vietnam and every night when I came home from school they would show, in red, another province that had fallen to the communists. Very depressing event to watch for a 12 year old kid brought up to believe America didn't lose wars.

Old 06-12-2009, 06:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You've hot on a couple of things which were a big part of my life at a slightly older age. I grew up in Miami and attended all the Dolphin home games during their first four years when they stunk up the Orange Bowl. It was really exciting when they hired Shula, traded for Warfield, and turned things around in 1970, and then two years later pulled off the perfect season. This was my team, these were my boys etc.

Toward the end of the following year I moved to San Francisco and arrived not too long before the Patti Hearst snatching took place, so it was all local news for me. I never knew that they were there, but one of the hideouts that the SLA used for a time was on Turk street , just two blocks from where I was living at the time.
Funny you mentioned that you wound up living in San Francisco as that was my favorite team (49ers) of alltime as i rooted for them before Joe Montana in the 70's as i still remember Jim Plunkett as our QB in the mid to late 70's.

I should have also mention the early 70's Heavyweight Title Fights between Ali vs Frazier and i can still remember reading Sports Illlustrated in the 3rd grade in 1973 with George Forman on the cover when he destroyed Joe Frazier by knocking him down six times in just two rounds .

Now i can't stand pro sports but i sure loved them back in the 70's when i was a kid.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:09 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post

I should have also mention the early 70's Heavyweight Title Fights between Ali vs Frazier and i can still remember reading Sports Illlustrated in the 3rd grade in 1973 with George Forman on the cover when he destroyed Joe Frazier by knocking him down six times in just two rounds .

Now i can't stand pro sports but i sure loved them back in the 70's when i was a kid.
I used to be a big boxing fan, went to the cards at Miami Beach Auditorium every week. You could also go down to the 5th Street Gym where Ali trained and for 50 cents, you got to go inside and watch.

The first Ali-Frazier fight was probably the most excited I ever got over any sporting event. It broke my heart when Ali lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History