Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 07:35 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times

Advertisements

I got to thinking about how Spain stayed neutral in WW1 and WW2 while most European powers were not during one or those wars. Any thoughts as to why Spain stayed out of both of the wars??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,347 times
Here is an excellent site and might give you some answers on Spain, at least in the Great War.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I got to thinking about how Spain stayed neutral in WW1 and WW2 while most European powers were not during one or those wars. Any thoughts as to why Spain stayed out of both of the wars??
6 FOOT 3,

You ask some great questions! To be honest, I had never thought about why Spain stayed out of WWI. However, a quick glance at a website gave me a clue that during WWI Spain was going through a period of political unrest, labor strikes and general confusion. Also, I understand that by remaining neutral Spain was able to increase its gold reserves and pay off its debt. After the Spanish Civil War in 1936-37, I think cagey Franco was anxious to consolidate his hold on the country and avoided tipping his hand completely to the Axis or to the allies, although he obviously sided with the Axis, who helped put him in power. However, thousands of Spanish volunteers fought for both sides. BTW, I read Antony Beevor's book on the Spanish Civil war in which he said many of the Spanish tenant farmers of the 1920-30s were so poor that they had never even tasted meat! It was a tragic war for many.

Old 10-09-2009, 08:18 AM

156 posts, read 252,461 times
6 foot

During WWI, Spain didn't have much to do with Europe. Spain was a very backward country still recuperating from the loss of the last colonies. The war of Moroco, 1906-1925 very cruel, the labour insurrections (Setmana Tragica in Barcelona), anarchism... The war of Marocco came almost right after the Spanish American war, so Spain was broke.

Not much relation with the struggle. Spain extracted enormous profits from neutrality in WWI.

WWII...

That was more complex. The Spanish Civil War ended in 1939, Spain was completely destroyed in 1939. Franco dodged Hitler's intent of involving Spain in the war and as early as 1941, Franco saw that Hitler was going to loose the war, so he dumped the Spanish Foreign Minister, Serrano Sunyer, a devout Nazi, and replaced him with a Minister that was a sympathizer of the allies.

Last edited by Nosferatu; 10-09-2009 at 08:33 AM..

Old 10-09-2009, 10:42 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,615,450 times
I didn't realise that Spain was bogged down in Morocco during WW1.

Really interesting posts John W and Nosferatu (leo) .

6/3

P.S. Trudy .... what site is it that you wanted me to check out??

Old 10-09-2009, 10:54 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Evidently Hitler's meeting with El Caudillo at the border was quite amusing. I understand that Franco professed long and undying amity and affection, then proceeded to give Adolf a long, exasperating recital of all the stuff he needed: probably enough to re-equip his whole military.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:33 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,347 times
WW1 History Information - Diplomatic History of the War - Neutral Nations - Spain Sorry.. I always forget to post the link!!! "Old Timers Disease)

Old 10-09-2009, 12:47 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
I didn't realise that Spain was bogged down in Morocco during WW1.

Really interesting posts John W and Nosferatu (leo) .

6/3

P.S. Trudy .... what site is it that you wanted me to check out??
If you ever come across anything about the Rif War I suggest you read it. It was a very horrific war that bears many lessons regarding the current wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Battle of Annual in 1921 is regarded as one of the worst disasters in military history. 3,000 Arab fighters practically annihilated an entire Spanish force of over 20,000 and only the timely arrival of Franco's Spanish Foreign Legion kept the Spanish from being entirely kicked out of Africa. The history of Spain's foreign legion may not be a long as that of France's but it has every bit the legendary status and mystique. It still exists but it's not much of a foreign legion anymore as most of it's troops are Spanish. They do recruit foreigners from Latin America and Spanish speaking Hispanic Americans though.

As a side note, in honor of the German assistance to the Nationalists during the Civil War, Franco sent the Blue Division/Division Azul to help Germany on the Eastern Front in 1941. They were withdrawn in 1943. Franco played both sides during WWII in a similar manner as the Irish.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:17 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,144,437 times
The short answer? Because they were smart.

Old 10-09-2009, 02:22 PM

156 posts, read 252,461 times
WIH

My grandfather was a desertor of the Moroccan war. Hadn't he deserted, a certain death expected him.

j.k.k

After Hitler's interview with Franco, Hitler said that he preferred to have two teeth pulled without anesthesics that meeting with the little "wurst" again.

Hitler helped Franco, the Kondor Legion, but Franco was not a Nazi or a Fascist. He was basically a survivor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History