Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 06:29 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,791,557 times

Advertisements

Rome. Their engineering and law were the best in the world till 300 years ago or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 07:19 AM

283 posts, read 172,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
The Greeks and Chinese, they gave so much to the world.

Chinese contribution is very small...

Gundpower was invented independently in Europe..

Old 05-18-2018, 07:55 AM

2,850 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiago12 View Post
Chinese contribution is very small...

Gundpower was invented independently in Europe..
I already educated you about their invention of paper in the other thread.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I already educated you about their invention of paper in the other thread.

What is important is the truth.. And the fact that chinese contribution to modern cavilization is small is a true fact..Like it or not..

Old 05-18-2018, 09:04 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,016,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiago12 View Post
What is important is the truth.. And the fact that chinese contribution to modern cavilization is small is a true fact..Like it or not..
I'm sorry this isn't true, for hundreds of years China was at the forefront of world technological advances, try reading the book 'Millenium' and it will give you some idea of where China was a thousand years ago. At that time Western Europe was considered a 'back-water' in comparison.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:26 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
I like the Minoans. engineering, art, architecture, sports, agriculture, trade, olives...

and they didn't really have kings as rulers, but they selected the head guy/leader by vote. I think the women could vote, own property, and conduct business but it has been awhile since eI studied them

Old 05-19-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I'm sorry this isn't true, for hundreds of years China was at the forefront of world technological advances, try reading the book 'Millenium' and it will give you some idea of where China was a thousand years ago. At that time Western Europe was considered a 'back-water' in comparison.

Europe.. Gothich Church in France Basilique Saint-Denis 1100 A.D.

The number 5000 as some kind of an age for China is too big a part of the popular national imaginary.It is used to highlight China's superiority over all other nations, at least with regard to longevity

China’s recorded history is roughly 3000 years old.

The very first Oracle bone writtings are 3.000 years old.

The oldest "building structure in China" still existing is Nanchan Temple that was built in 782 A.D.

Greek civilization is older than Chinese civilization.. 1.500 years B.C

And Etruscan civilization in Italy is as old as chinese civilization.... 1200 years B.C.

Ancient Roman civilization 800 years B.C.

Roman buildings 2000 years old in Nimes France

La Maison Carrée, Nîmes 2000 Years old 100% preserved ( no restoration )

Pantheon in Rome 1900 years old.. 100 % preserved ( no restoration )

Pantheon still has the largest concrete dome in the world

Terracotta Chinese warriors.. 200 years B.C... Nice but they look like a little bit "primitive"

Ancient Roman White Marble statue 200 years B.C.

The Dying Gaul,

Old 05-19-2018, 02:22 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,537,454 times
It may not count as ancient to some, but I am fascinated by northern native American civilization (as in the modern US and Canada). I wish we knew more than we do.

The Iroquois are probably the most well known in the collective mind. If not among the most well known. But so much is lost under the weight of colonial times.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Ancient Israel and Judea before Christ

Old 05-23-2018, 03:54 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,725,665 times
I don't know if I could say I admire them, but I've always been fascinated about Hittites. There's a bunch of documentaries about them now, but up until the 20th century, they were considered a myth - mentioned only in the Bible, there was no trace of them.. until as it turned out, there were plenty of traces, only no one connected them. And then, in 1906 in what we now know was Hattusa - the capitol of the empire, a royal archive with over 10,000 tablets was discovered. Translated by a Czech linguist 9 years later, these became proof of the existence of the empire and an immense source of information about them.

Another fascinating relic of the ancient world is the city of Nan Mandol. Located in Micronesia in the western Pacific, it's the subject and object of many theories, including lost continents, Atlantis and whatever else you can fathom. It was also the inspiration for the mythical city of R'Lyeh in the prose of the father of modern Horror - H.P. Lovecraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History