Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Hey, didn't you see "Gods and Generals?" That film established that the Southerners and the slaves were living in divinely ordained harmonic bliss until the mean, evil, wicked, bad and nasty Yankees insisted on invading paradise.

"A free black businessman William Johnson’s diary entry for May 14, 1841: “I rode out this afternoon to the Forks of the Road to try and swop [sic] Stephen off for someone else, but could find no one that I like.” Stephen was one of the diarist’s slaves. Here we have a remarkable glimpse of a black slave-owner casually browsing through the Forks of the Road slave lot. The offhand way in which Johnson relates his visit to the Forks of the Road market indicates that he had no qualms about being in the midst of interstate slave dealers."

Mississippi History Now | The Forks of the Road Slave Market at Natchez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 07:20 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,825,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Hey, didn't you see "Gods and Generals?" That film established that the Southerners and the slaves were living in divinely ordained harmonic bliss until the mean, evil, wicked, bad and nasty Yankees insisted on invading paradise.

"In 1850, twenty-five percent of the population of New Orleans, Louisiana, was from the North and ten percent of the population in Mobile, Alabama, was former New Yorkers.

Mississippi attracted investors as well as residents. Auctions of cheap Indian lands as a result of cessions of land by the Choctaw and Chickasaw nations drew bidders from the South and East. For example, in the 1830s, the largest purchasers of Chickasaw land in Mississippi were the American Land Company and the New York Land Company. The two companies represented investors or speculators from New York, Boston, and other New Englanders.

New York City, not just Southern cities, was essential to the cotton world. By 1860, New York had become the capital of the South because of its dominant role in the cotton trade. New York rose to its preeminent position as the commercial and financial center of America because of cotton. It has been estimated that New York received forty percent of all cotton revenues since the city supplied insurance, shipping, and financing services and New York merchants sold goods to Southern planters. The trade with the South, which has been estimated at $200,000,000 annually, was an impressive sum at the time.
Complicity of white America

Most New Yorkers did not care that the cotton was produced by slaves because for them it became sanitized once it left the plantation. New Yorkers even dominated a booming slave trade in the 1850s. Although the importation of slaves into the United States had been prohibited in 1808, the temptation of the astronomical profits of the international slave trade was too strong for many New Yorkers. New York investors financed New York-based slave ships that sailed to West Africa to pick up African captives that were then sold in Cuba and Brazil.

In addition to dominating the slave trade, New York denied voting rights to its small free black population, which comprised only one percent of the population. New York accomplished this by imposing property ownership requirements for its free black residents, while white New Yorkers had no such restriction. New York's poor black population was effectively disfranchised.

In 1857, seventy-five percent of Connecticut voters elected to deny suffrage to blacks, and even after the Civil War, voters there again denied black male residents the right to vote. Some western states, such as Indiana, Ohio, and Illinois, tried to exclude blacks at the same time they were aggressively recruiting millions of white European immigrants. White America, not just white southerners, helped determine that the destiny of black America would be in the cotton fields of the South for many decades to come.

On the eve of the Civil War, cotton provided the economic underpinnings of the Southern economy. Cotton gave the South power — both real and imagined.

Cotton dictated the South’s huge role in a global economy that included Europe, New York, other New England states, and the American west. This economic growth exacted a severe and tragic human price through slavery and the prejudicial treatment of free blacks.

Mississippi was, therefore, both a captive of the cotton world and a major player in the 19th century global economy."

Mississippi History Now | Cotton in a Global Economy: Mississippi (1800-1860)

Old 12-14-2009, 07:22 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Hey, Canoe. Why are you quoting my stuff in your posts? What you are writing is in no manner responsive.

Post whatever you wish, but keep my name out of it unless your post is addressing directly, something that I wrote.

Okay?

Last edited by Grandstander; 12-14-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 11:56 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,656,986 times
In 1492 there were over 60 million Native Americans in this country, by 1945 there were less than 800,000, that's the loss of 59,200,000 Native Americans. In my opinion that's one of the worst crimes against humanity.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,919,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
In your opinions, are the Intercontinental Slave Trade (of African slaves to Europe and the Americas) and American chattel slavery the worst crimes against humanity in known history? If not, what is?
But the africans were doing it first, they sold conquered rival tribes.

The Killing fields come to mind for me.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
In 1492 there were over 60 million Native Americans in this country, by 1945 there were less than 800,000, that's the loss of 59,200,000 Native Americans. In my opinion that's one of the worst crimes against humanity.
Would you have any link available for that 60 million number in THIS country? Did you mean total, for the entire western hemisphere?
I've never seen an estimate that high for this country.
In my lifetime numbers for total indigenous population for the entire western hemisphere have ranged from a low of 8-14 million to more recently as high as 50-112 million. (Many feel that the reason given for that is questionable as much of it is based on the arability of land and what it COULD support.)

When I was born in this country, there was a national population of 160 million, and people were everywhere. While that is a larger number than 60 million, you never hear from either early explorers or from native lore/legends, etc., of the types of crowds or settlements it would take to actually have a current population of 60,000,000 at the time of "discovery."

Not picking a fight, or wanting controversy--if you meant exactly what you posted, I'd be interested in where to read about it.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Would you have any link available for that 60 million number in THIS country? Did you mean total, for the entire western hemisphere?
The guy you were answering doesn't know what he is talking about obviously. There were only a few million American Indians in pre-columbian times of what is now the U.S. Maybe 10 million, maybe as little as a million. No one really knows. Currently 1% of the population in the U.S. claim to be native american (2 or 3 million). That's not counting those of mixed blood, and I can't name one person with a family history in the US of over 5 or 6 generation that does not have some Indian blood in him.

Worst crime in humanity is the mis-statements, mis-quotes, the wikipedia facts quoted as gospel, the revisionist history crap that I see newbies post here that they got from their pony-tailed community college professor, the politically fueled and absolutely incorrect garbage that I see from posters that migrate over from the political forum that get posted in this history forum.

Second worst crime against humanity is ignorance - for instance the original poster thinking that slavery originated with America.

Last edited by Dd714; 12-15-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 02:14 PM

206 posts, read 571,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The guy you were answering doesn't know what he is talking about obviously. There were only a few million American Indians in pre-columbian times of what is now the U.S. Maybe 10 million, maybe as little as a million. No one really knows. Currently 1% of the population in the U.S. claim to be native american (2 or 3 million). That's not counting those of mixed blood, and I can't name one person with a family history in the US of over 5 or 6 generation that does not have some Indian blood in him.

Worst crime in humanity is the mis-statements, mis-quotes, the wikipedia facts quoted as gospel, the revisionist history crap that I see newbies post here that they got from their pony-tailed community college professor, the politically fueled and absolutely incorrect garbage that I see from posters that migrate over from the political forum that get posted in this history forum.

Second worst crime against humanity is ignorance - for instance the original poster thinking that slavery originated with America.
Agreed. The have been so many atrocities perpetrated in history that trying to point to one and say it was the 'worst' is ignorance of the many others.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:19 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,748,788 times
Regardless of how many Indians lived in the New World in 1492 (and I tend to credit some of the higher estimates) the great die off was caused by disease and not by deliberate efforts of the Euros. So while being one of the more unfortunate events in history it was no crime.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:52 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
The guy you were answering doesn't know what he is talking about obviously.
Psst..I know. I was being polite and thinking that just perhaps he may look for some documentation of his claim and find otherwise.

Quote:
There were only a few million American Indians in pre-columbian times of what is now the U.S. Maybe 10 million, maybe as little as a million. No one really knows. Currently 1% of the population in the U.S. claim to be native american (2 or 3 million). That's not counting those of mixed blood, and I can't name one person with a family history in the US of over 5 or 6 generation that does not have some Indian blood in him.

I like your crimes...I mean I agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History